• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PR2 RACING, Revolutionary New Technology available !!!

D
Feb 18, 2013
Bend, OR
First post here but been following all of this fall/winter. I had purchased a Camso earlier for my KTM 500 EXC. So far all is well but I knew I was having a little bit of issue with the stock tune. When I had read this post I had immediately called Jeff to find out more. He is a wealth of knowledge and you could not ask for a more helpful gent.

I had ordered it, received it quickly and now with a chance to try it out this weekend I just wanted to provide a positive post for it. I immediately noticed an improvement. It was a great PNW day with about 2' of new snow and 10 degrees out. I had used one of the mid tunes for powder and was impressed with the bikes performance. No more running rich, quicker throttle response and a nice increase in overall power.

This ride was with other riders and I did not get a chance to play with the other tunes and am looking forward to such. I will say I had a few more questions after the ride and Jeff was great to review them with me.

So there you have it. If you are in need of cleaning up how your bike is running and want additional power you really cant go wrong with the PR2 ECU.

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
PS2 is great!

Happy to report back on my PS2 Vortex Ecu.

The customer service is top notch! You actually get to talk to the man who does the tuning.
When I had a slight issue on install, they were there to get me going.

Bike pulls much stronger and I find myself hitting the raised rev limiter faster. I ran one of the Powder Maps (+3% fuel) and I managed to get better economy than usual. I need to get another ride in before I dump the oil and compare it to the stock ecu oil. Sending both samples to Blackstone for analysis.

I was thrown off by the starting calibration for a bit. When you start the bike, it does a scan for temp and altitude and runs funny for 6 seconds. Then its all good. It made me think something was not running right. Then its all YeeHaw!

Thank you to OP for shedding light on this great product and company. I will report back my other findings with more ride time.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Jeff and I will be Fed-X ing boxes back and forth tweaking and validating numbets for the new 2017 CRF450R.
Getting this new bike dialed in for everyone. It is super strong and aggressive in Stock form. With the proper Snowbike tune, it will be a runner. I will estimate 2 weeks out for all the new Honda riders.

Thanks much,

Randy Siemens

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Any update on this? About to pull the trigger

Happy to report back on my PS2 Vortex Ecu.

The customer service is top notch! You actually get to talk to the man who does the tuning.
When I had a slight issue on install, they were there to get me going.

Bike pulls much stronger and I find myself hitting the raised rev limiter faster. I ran one of the Powder Maps (+3% fuel) and I managed to get better economy than usual. I need to get another ride in before I dump the oil and compare it to the stock ecu oil. Sending both samples to Blackstone for analysis.

I was thrown off by the starting calibration for a bit. When you start the bike, it does a scan for temp and altitude and runs funny for 6 seconds. Then its all good. It made me think something was not running right. Then its all YeeHaw!

Thank you to OP for shedding light on this great product and company. I will report back my other findings with more ride time.

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
Oil analysis

Just sent out three oil samples yesterday.
I have tried a few different maps now. The bike runs great.
I no longer use the high idle for cold starts.
Had a good chat with Jeff yesterday. He supports the product like no other.

Once I make a few more tweaks to the bike, I will be going one tooth up on the counter sprocket. It needs it now as I don't have a 6th gear and I keep reaching for one.

-Kevin

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
When you say tweaks... Are you tweaking the mapping or the actual bike?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
I just ordered the PR2 ECU. Got to talk to Jeff. What a nice guy. Very informative, cant wait to give it a try. I will post results and a comparative oil analysis. I have not had a problem running my bike at proper temp, but I still get some fluctuations from deep powder or cold trail speeds to almost over heat for warm slow going. My first oil analysis did have fuel contamination. I would of bet money that I did not. Again excited to give the PR2 ECU a try!

IMG_1661.jpg

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
When you say tweaks... Are you tweaking the mapping or the actual bike?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I will be getting the first 2017 Honda box next week, ish.... and run through the maps with wide band AFR to check all the numbers. Once they are confirmed, it will be available. It will be using the the same snowbike specific ECU data so it should be near spot on. If PR2 needs to make a slight adjustment for the new Honda, they will do so. I will give you a report. Also, if anyone needs a new 2017 Honda 450 fit kit with TSS, I have an extra one available.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Hi everyone,

I am excited to introduce the most revolutionary technology now available for all snowbikes. PR2 Racing has been developing a snowbike specific ECU for the last year and is now making it available for purchase. Jeff Pineheart, the owner and engineer of PR2 Racing, has an extensive 20 year history at the top of the performance game with Pro AMA Supercross; tuning and engine building for the likes of Geico Honda, Team Monster Energy and others. His approach to our unique needs in snowbike performance is brilliant and refreshing. His goal is to simply get our bikes to perform at the most potential possible in OEM form. We have all thrown a lot of money at big bore kits, exhaust systems,programmers, tuners, nitrous, turbo's etc... to get a little "more" out of our bikes. We all recognize that our bikes run and perform fair at best and PR2 Racing has identified the causes of our issues in the snow and cold temps. Their explanation is very clear and can be validated by us all. The intake runner, the distance from the injector to the intake valve, is very short and combined with low temperatures causes a severe lack or loss of atomization of the fuel, equaling poor fuel burn and performance. Also, "wet" non atomized fuel on the piston finds its way past the rings and into the crank case.

What does the PR2 Racing Snowbike specific ECU accomplish?
#1- To get the most potential out of that 58HP engine by having a tune that is optimum for our conditions. That is 4 or 5 hp more than we currently have!
#2- Eliminating the "cold mode", extra fuel from the stock ECU that happens when water temps are below 160F. Preset by your manufacturer.
#3- Providing precise fuel delivery to maintain the optimum in performance with a 12.8 AFR at ALL altitudes and temperatures.
(This is accomplished by the ECU taking samples of manifold absolute pressure while riding) No tuner or programmer required.
#4- Ignition timing for optimum performance at the elevations we ride. Timing advancement for elevation is a big performance boost.
#5- Precise TPS calibration that is automatic and takes only seconds by you, the owner.

The end result is a bike that performs at its maximum potential without the time and expense of mods and accessories to "compensate" for technical issues.
I have had the opportunity to test the PR2 Snowbike ECU. My bike now starts and idles smoothly and clean; the acceleration and seat of the pants performance is incredible. We did not realize the performance we have been missing by not having the correct tune for our unique conditions!

I addition, there are several "maps" you can choose from with a dial located on the ECU; Snowcross racing extreme, High performance trail, and Deep powder are examples. All maps address timing and fuel requirements for the optimum in performance.

In my opinion, the only three Snowbike set up "must do's" are a thermostat, engine jacket, and PR2 Racing Snowbike ECU. Save the money chasing power and performance with parts that do not correct the real issues, and get real performance gains with a Snowbike ECU.

We have all been in desperate need of this technology and I would like to give a big THANK YOU to Jeff and PR2 Racing for bringing it to us.

Contact PR2 Racing (link below) and ask for Jeff. Thanks everyone!!! Feel free to contact me with any questions.

http://pr2racing.com/

PR2 Racing Technology
pr2racing.com
PR2 Racing Technology is the leader in professional and amateur motocross suspensions, and engine building.

A few observations comparing the 2017 XC450 and the 2017 SX 450. both new builds and have same clear XC 2.3 gallon tanks, When riding side by side in the deep the XC ran dry before noon and the SX had half a tank left. The sx pipe is clean and no carbon wiping with a white tissue in pipe and oil is always thick, Seems the sx has the overfueling due to water temps removed form the mapping? I'm interested in the ECU and wonder if performance gains are really there on this bike as it runs one the lean side already, we ride the SX all day and only carry a one gallon reserve tank which we seldom ever need, Other years and models suck double the fuel. The SX fueling is really good on the 2017,Are there timing and other advantages as well? I might add that the XC added the ECU for the 2nd ride and both bike using same amount of fuel now.

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
A few observations comparing the 2017 XC450 and the 2017 SX 450. both new builds and have same clear XC 2.3 gallon tanks, When riding side by side in the deep the XC ran dry before noon and the SX had half a tank left. The sx pipe is clean and no carbon wiping with a white tissue in pipe and oil is always thick, Seems the sx has the overfueling due to water temps removed form the mapping? I'm interested in the ECU and wonder if performance gains are really there on this bike as it runs one the lean side already, we ride the SX all day and only carry a one gallon reserve tank which we seldom ever need, Other years and models suck double the fuel. The SX fueling is really good on the 2017,Are there timing and other advantages as well? I might add that the XC added the ECU for the 2nd ride and both bike using same amount of fuel now.

What engine temperatures was the XC running?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt

byeatts,

There are so many factors involved. Your SX is likely running very lean. I know the "blanket assumption" is that everything is running rich. Here are some factors to consider. A stock ECU is mapped for the stock, oiled filter and stock exhaust. It is also mapped for engine temps above 160F and air temps for an average summer temp. When we put on the snow filter intake and silencer or complete exhaust, we lean the engine out significantly. Next, most bikes are running below a water temp of 160F which adds 40% fuel for the "cold mode". That 40% increase in fuel covers the otherwise lean condition and making an overall rich condition. Then the factor of powder not hitting your cylinder on certain days and your water temps exceed the 160F minimum and the 40% fuel increase is eliminated. At that point you become very lean. Your SX was likely in that condition. You can see there are so many variables going on all the time. They become layers stacking on top of each other. To keep it short and to the point, you need to eliminate layers and multiple factors stacking. The new PR2 ECU starts from scratch. An ECU with fuel maps specifically for the intake and filter we use and a slip on silencer or full system. Every throttle position and RPM cel have been individually mapped. With the 160F fuel enrichment eliminated and intake and exhaust I mentioned, there were lean spots in different places where fuel had to be added. The leanest place was about 5/8 throttle. Just above half. We have all heard that "piston rattle" on some days. We found that to actually be a lean spot when temps were above 160F. Be very careful running in that range on warm days if you don't have the new ECU. The PR2 ECU has corrected all the unique fueling issues and has added a little timing that is a real boost. Overall performance gains are obvious and bold. If you want to observe all the things happening in real time on a stock bike. You need a wide band AFR / O2 sensor and TTO. You will observe the rich conditions on most days and the real lean pocket at 5/8 throttle when above 160F.

The new ECU does so much for us. Most folks don't realize how many factors are at play. We didn't realize how far off our stock bikes really were.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
byeatts,

There are so many factors involved. Your SX is likely running very lean. I know the "blanket assumption" is that everything is running rich. Here are some factors to consider. A stock ECU is mapped for the stock, oiled filter and stock exhaust. It is also mapped for engine temps above 160F and air temps for an average summer temp. When we put on the snow filter intake and silencer or complete exhaust, we lean the engine out significantly. Next, most bikes are running below a water temp of 160F which adds 40% fuel for the "cold mode". That 40% increase in fuel covers the otherwise lean condition and making an overall rich condition. Then the factor of powder not hitting your cylinder on certain days and your water temps exceed the 160F minimum and the 40% fuel increase is eliminated. At that point you become very lean. Your SX was likely in that condition. You can see there are so many variables going on all the time. They become layers stacking on top of each other. To keep it short and to the point, you need to eliminate layers and multiple factors stacking. The new PR2 ECU starts from scratch. An ECU with fuel maps specifically for the intake and filter we use and a slip on silencer or full system. Every throttle position and RPM cel have been individually mapped. With the 160F fuel enrichment eliminated and intake and exhaust I mentioned, there were lean spots in different places where fuel had to be added. The leanest place was about 5/8 throttle. Just above half. We have all heard that "piston rattle" on some days. We found that to actually be a lean spot when temps were above 160F. Be very careful running in that range on warm days if you don't have the new ECU. The PR2 ECU has corrected all the unique fueling issues and has added a little timing that is a real boost. Overall performance gains are obvious and bold. If you want to observe all the things happening in real time on a stock bike. You need a wide band AFR / O2 sensor and TTO. You will observe the rich conditions on most days and the real lean pocket at 5/8 throttle when above 160F.

The new ECU does so much for us. Most folks don't realize how many factors are at play. We didn't realize how far off our stock bikes really were.
The shops 2017 SX 450 is a factory edition which comes with the Titanium exhaust ,and the Yeti air intake will lean out the bike, Both good points.The SX also has a different cam, do you have the ECU and tested on specifically for new SX? are there different mappings to choose from?

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
The shops 2017 SX 450 is a factory edition which comes with the Titanium exhaust ,and the Yeti air intake will lean out the bike, Both good points.The SX also has a different cam, do you have the ECU and tested on specifically for new SX? are there different mappings to choose from?

Yes and, yes.

Randy

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Randy you should add "PR2" in the thread title lol.

I had a chance to ride the PR2 mapping. I had a ECU box from my R&D throttle body setup and sent it to Jeff at PR2 Racing for a remap. I am truly amazed at the difference in the way this bike runs.

First off the fuel mileage is much much better. I rode a solid 4 hours on a half day and I didn't even add fuel. Next day I rode all day long from 10am until 5 and I burned just under two full tanks. Very noticeable on the fuel mileage.

I also noticed the bike temp was always up at 185-200F all day long. This ECU keeps the engine hotter due to less over fueling, and the enrichner circuit temp is also lowered allowing the bike to come up to proper temp. I was running my PST blanket at half coverage. I really should of taken it off and tested it without.

The maps themselves are great. I ran a powder map and it was spot on. Lots of power and not a burble, fart for days. You have 10 maps to choose from. Some have timing, some have extra fuel, some have different rev limits. 3 snow bike maps, 3 MR12 snowcross type maps, 2 powder maps, 2 dirt maps. You also have fine lo, mid, hi, adjustability if you need. I didn't touch mine yet. The power was excellent and pulls hard all the way to the top. Snappy

For the 120 bucks Jeff charged me for a remap I just couldn't go wrong. I believe these new ECU maps specifically for snow bikes are the true gains for this sport this year. Jeff sure knows his stuff when it comes to fuel mapping. I know guys taking off their Dobecks because this ECU works so well for them. BB bikes with R&D throttle bodies fuelled perfectly from the installed maps on this PR2. Raze also has a similar ECU that is showing the same gains and positives. I believe that is the GET ECU.

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
So I can Remove my stock ECU and send it in for remap? Will I still have 10 map choices? How much and what is turn around time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Yes Chris! Dang it. I will try to rename. I've tried before with no luck....?

PR2 RACING everyone. Ask for Jeff. In the initial post, I gave all contact info.

If you are sitting on the fence, get one ordered. As Summitboy reported, this finally is what we have been waiting for. Your day out on the mountain will be a totally new experience. I am finally excited to rip the 4T all day.!

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yes Chris! Dang it. I will try to rename. I've tried before with no luck....?

PR2 RACING everyone. Ask for Jeff. In the initial post, I gave all contact info.

If you are sitting on the fence, get one ordered. As Summitboy reported, this finally is what we have been waiting for. Your day out on the mountain will be a totally new experience. I am finally excited to rip the 4T all day.!

I spoke with Jeff today and he is very knowledgeable and great service, I have 3 ECU,s on the way to try this weekend.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
No you have to buy a ECU unless you have a Vortex ECU laying around. Its different than the stock unit.

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Id like to add a little more food for thought. I have seen some say the stock ecu is better, some say good enough, some say all parameters are adjustable. This just isnt true. The stock ecu does a real diservice to our snowbike engines because of the way we operate these engines. Load, cyl temps, coolant temps all change from snow depth, OAT, and altitude. Every bike is different. The stock ecus are more or less locked and are very restricted when it comes to snowbike specific application. Here are some of the benefits of a PR2 vs stock.

1. The stock ecu does not allow u to adjust many of the critical parameters needed such as high altitude compensation to the degree needed.

2. It is unable to stop the over fueling of the engine when coolant temps plummet.

3. Cant change fuel timing spray pattern. Timing and quantity.

4. Accelerator squirt is not a allowable parameter.

5. Voltage spark for load variance. Unchangeable

6. Fuel atomization is set and unchangeable for intake shape and design.

7. Moving the max fuel flow into correct time zone. These bikes are at 50%-70% throttle for 10-15min at a time. They have huge load and the fueling needs to be adjusted into the correct zone. Not just a MX curve.

Jeff at PR2 has personally built engines for the likes of Dungey, Canard, Anderson, Millsaps, Tomac as well as top amatuers from around the world. As a mechanical engineer he has a passion for these engines. It amazes me when he can take time and talk engines and fueling to a far away Canadian snowbiker lol. As i said earlier this is what the 4 stroke has been waiting for in this sport.

So far im very impressed with what ive seen on my YZ. im going to get a map switch since my ecu is a little hard to get to easily and be able to switch between 2 maps.

Premium Features