• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what pistons for 05 800? dual or single ring?

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
my dad lost the rings on his 05 last week. what pistons should be put back in? what brand and dual or single ring?

bohrer54

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2011
ND
i just put in mcb dual ring pistons with perma coat and oiling holes in my sled last week. I really them and would recommend'em.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I put the MCB duals in a friends sled and they lasted a few minutes. Musta been a crappy set. The ring caught a port and popped the piston dome off. Luckily the pieces flew out of the exhaust and not into the crank. Cylinders didn't take the hit either. Talk about lucky. Put the stockers back in. Compression was pretty good considering.

I felt bad but I hope he sent the back to Big John and got replacements.

D
Oct 17, 2011
Stock OEM 06 pistons and rings.

I learned the hard way. Installed SPI, Ring pin came out, cyl gone. Installed new cyl and new SPI. Other cyl, pin came out, another new cyl and lower end rebuild. New dual ring SPI, Pin came out, new cyl and crank bearing. 75% failure rate for SPI.

D

Feb 15, 2008
I have ran oem, spi, and now MCB dual ring pistons in my 800 ho.
OEM are not worth the price being only single ring. SPI and MCB are both made by the same Taiwanese factory, However Matt at MCB really stands behind his product and they ship with wiseco circlips.

rheinss10

Premium Member
Jul 3, 2008
NORTHERN MN
Stay away from the dual ring pistons. First set lasted about 140mi and aluminum started flaking from between the ring grooves and compression dropped. Second set lasted 120 mi and the top side of the top ring groove got beat up. Aluminum chunks ended up on top of the piston and put a bunch beauty marks in dome of the piston and head. These were mcb's with "extra oil holes and coatings" sold by a certain "ski doo guru". All dual ring cast pistons are nothing but spi's no matter what box they come in says or who sells them. Stick with oem pistons for 800's & 800ho's. The stock doo pistons I pulled out had 1300 miles on them and looked much better than the ones I pulled that had 120 mi. Anyone interested I can send pics just let me know your email address.

Last edited:
C
Well, I've been reading all the '03-'05 piston/ring threads all winter with great interest. However, now I REALLY don't know which pistons to go with!

Anyone else want to add to the confusion, please doo! I just can't believe that no company can make a piston/ring set for a Rev 800 that will last more than 1500-2500 miles!!!

Heck my kids' old Phazer has over 6000 miles on it, and it's a fan! Both of my 800's need another top end refresher.

Jimmyb

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Cremona Alberta
I became concerned about my rings at the 3000k (2000miles). Since there huge lapses in the riding season, I decided to rebuild my top end. I could not believe the flaking that had occured and was happy that I had taken them out...a well known fact for the 05 Rev was ring flaking and need to be replaced around the 3000k mark. My Son got 4500k (2700 miles) from his 07 before he rebuilt it, and only did the rebuild because of maintainence. We both went with SPX dual ring piston kits and we are extremely happy with the preformance so far. We both mountain ride and work the crap out of them...not puttering up and down the trails and around the fence line. We pick up the SPX kits because of recomendations from other powder riders and are also promoted by Team SkiDoo. Our thoughts were less friction because of the lower ring: clyinder surface friction and still gaining compression because of the dual ring set-up

Jimmyb

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Cremona Alberta
Oh and almost forgot...As I recall the Phazers had a dual ring piston to disapate the heat and it only reved to 7100 rmp. The 580 produces a 100 hp less than a 800ho

Last edited:
O
Jan 30, 2011
Black Hills
Just finished the third season on a set of MCB dual ringers in a 800HO, at 1000 miles the factory pistons were so loose at idle it sounded like a skateboard on a sidewalk, put in the MCB's fit was perfect , comp is in the 150-160 range, no problems so far except------too much power !!!

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
i have been watching this with some concern as my 04 800 ho with wisco pistons duel ring just snagged a ring , hit part of power valve and took out cylinder also was still running great at 1/3 throttle and above and plug even looked great (did plug change when it started running rough) had to run 8 mi back to truck this way, but no compression when i took out both plugs and put my thumb over both holes, engine has aprox 1500-2000 mi on it since rebuild, i have been using semi syn in it since i got it last oct, i have hammered it like most do on these 800's and it has been fun up until this teardown sat, i will probably start running ams oil in it with whatever pistons i put in it , so i hear stock pistons/ rings usually last 3000 mi before topend rebuild any comments? one of my friends wants me to buy the ported cyl's and i am still enjoying the power it has.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
TIME to squash some DIS-information...I helped Matt (MCB) design these pistons 4 years ago...built through the SPI buying group...had the BEST factory (we had a choice) build them...the MCB is the original and BETTER than the SPI...(YES, there are reasons/differences)...as for ANY premature failure or problems...either Matt or myself have taken care of any/all who have called...as for some..putting rings on upside down, pistons in backwards, poor cylinder prep, poor/questionable mechanical abilities ARE NOT THE PISTONS FAULT...I have sold a 1000+ MCB pistons and "I have more fingers" than pistons failed due to lack of quality...I dont sell DOO pistons anymore because they dont work as well...wisecos dont even fit the bore (.004" is too tight)...BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I have ran oem, spi, and now MCB dual ring pistons in my 800 ho.
OEM are not worth the price being only single ring. SPI and MCB are both made by the same Taiwanese factory, However Matt at MCB really stands behind his product and they ship with wiseco circlips.

sorry...this is not correct...BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Just finished the third season on a set of MCB dual ringers in a 800HO, at 1000 miles the factory pistons were so loose at idle it sounded like a skateboard on a sidewalk, put in the MCB's fit was perfect , comp is in the 150-160 range, no problems so far except------too much power !!!

NORMAL results...ty-BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Stay away from the dual ring pistons. First set lasted about 140mi and aluminum started flaking from between the ring grooves and compression dropped. Second set lasted 120 mi and the top side of the top ring groove got beat up. Aluminum chunks ended up on top of the piston and put a bunch beauty marks in dome of the piston and head. These were mcb's with "extra oil holes and coatings" sold by a certain "ski doo guru". All dual ring cast pistons are nothing but spi's no matter what box they come in says or who sells them. Stick with oem pistons for 800's & 800ho's. The stock doo pistons I pulled out had 1300 miles on them and looked much better than the ones I pulled that had 120 mi. Anyone interested I can send pics just let me know your email address.

This is called "deto"...usually from too much compression (the extra ring does doo that) and/or to tight of squish (possible to thin a base gasket) and the fuel quality (less than advertised octane) in the your riding area...pretty much sums up to be...NOT the pistons fault...just saying-BJ

Premium Features