• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Colorado Trails - Google Overlay and Garmin Custom Maps

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I figured I should start a separate thread on this so as not to continue to pollute the Vail Pass thread.

I have created google earth overlay files for a couple areas in Colorado - I can work on more if you guys want me to, or if others have the overlays created please post/share on this thread. If this saves one guy from getting a ticket or gets someone home.....

NOTE: Snowest does not allow .kmz files to be attached to threads, so you will need to change the name of the attachment as described below:

1. Download the "RE.pdf" file to your computer
2. Rename the file to "RE.kmz"
3. Open the file using Google Earth
4. Make sure that you have your sidebar turned on (View -> Sidebar)
5. You should see the RE map listed under "My Places". Right click on it and select "Properties" - now you can adjust the tranparency and move the map around if you want to try to get things to line up better than I did.
6. If you have a newer Garmin GPS unit that allows you to upload custom maps follow the directions at this website starting with step #5 (I have done steps 1-4 for you)

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/sit...aps#fragment-2

Now when you ride on Rabbit Ears (or other areas as we work to create more maps) you can turn this map "on" and see where the wilderness and other out of bounds areas are on your GPS. I have a Garmin 62s and this DOES work.

* Follow similar instructions for the SLO and Grand Mesa maps

**I am not responsible for paying any tickets if this map is not 100% accurate!!

Attachments

• RE.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 745
  • SLO.pdf
    912.3 KB · Views: 539
  • Grand Mesa.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 360
Last edited:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I know this is the Colorado section - but a lot of us venture up to the Snowy's when I-70 is a mess.

Here is the map for that area - it is not "clean" due to all of the text boxes and crap that Wyoming puts on their maps. If anyone can get a clean pdf or jpg that shows the trails and the wilderness/avalanche areas please send it to me - until then this one will have to do....

Attachments

• SnowyRnge.pdf
    835.2 KB · Views: 646

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I have a newer Garmin. I went to the link and did not find a custom map to download? Do you happen to have a link to that?

And thank you for stepping up and making this thread. Worthy of a "sticky"

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I have a newer Garmin. I went to the link and did not find a custom map to download? Do you happen to have a link to that?

There is no map at the link, the maps are the files that I posted (you have to change the .pdf to .kmz)

The link to the Garmin site basically just shows the steps I went through to create the custom map. Once you have the .kmz file you can upload it to an Dakota, Oregon, Colorado, 62, 78 etc. model (the ones that take custom maps).

Directions for what to do with the .kmz file (from the Garmin site):

- Connect your Garmin outdoor handheld device to your computer.
- In Google Earth on the left side of the screen, right click on your custom map.
- Click Save Place As.
- In the dialog box that appears, find the drive for your connected handheld device and save³ your custom map in the /Garmin/CustomMaps/ directory. Save the file in KMZ format.
- Your custom map will appear as part of the map on your Garmin outdoor handheld device.

Disable Your Custom Map
By default, Garmin Custom Maps are enabled on your device.
To disable your custom map on a Dakota or Oregon model:
Select Setup > Map > Map Information. Deselect the check box for your custom map.
To disable your custom map on a Garmin Colorado model:
Go to the Map page, and select Options > Select Map. Scroll to your custom map and deselect the check box

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
will that work on a rhino 530?

I don't think so - you may want to check Garmin's website to make sure, but I don't know of anyone that has been able to figure it out for the rhino.

If you figure something out - post it up. I know a lot of guys use that model.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Thanks for all the work and detail.

Thunder

No Problem! I added the Grand Mesa map to the top post. I would appreciate it if anyone rides that area and can check the map out on their GPS - let me know if it is accurate, I tried to line it up as close as possible in Google Earth.

Has anyone else created maps? Please add them to this thread!

Last edited:

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Any new info for the Rino 530's and this application you have going on here?

Q

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Can't open those PDF's? Anybody else? Got the latest version. humpf.

They are not PDF files - I have to use the PDF file type due to the size of the file (Snowest does not yet allow us to attach KMZ files to forum posts).

So the files are actually opened up in Google earth instead of Adobe. Download the map file(s) that you want to your computer and change the .pdf to .kmz

Now use google earth to open the file and you will see the trail map overlay in Google earth. From there you can move the file over to your GPS unit if it supports custom maps.

Hope that helps.

tk

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Thanks guys for the maps. Got them loaded. Can't wait to try it out.

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
Got my etrex30, got the snowys map on and got to try it out and it was freaking awesome!! Thanks so much for setting this up!! I just have a couple questions, the map was only readable on like a 1 mile scale zoom anything closer was blurry and unreadable, still usable but, is it the way I loaded it or are they all like this? Is there any other way to get trail maps that I can really zoom in on? The RE map seemed to be the same way.
What about taking close up pics of the map and then using it would that work? I am happy to try things out when I learn a little better how to make custom maps!!

Definetly happy with the use of it and seeing the trails on the gps thats just the coolest!!

Thanks again tmk!!
P

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
Anything on this?
What about where to get more trail maps for like Corona, or Church, or is there any?
Thanks I just wanna stock up the new gps!!
P

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
That is the best I can do for the Snowy's until we get a higher resolution map (hoping the state will get with it soon and post one!).

I don't know if scanning or doing a picture of the map will work any better, but I can try it if you want to send over a file.

To do other areas - go to the Colorado web site and download the jpeg maps, then you can do the overlays in Google Earth and create the .kmz file. Let me know if you can't get it to work and I can work on the areas you want.

Premium Features