• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche Class Availability.....?

M

monster715

Nov 4, 2009
Wisconsin
Hey Guys.....relatively new to riding out west in the mountains. From the Midwest (flatlander) and took my first trip out west last year and going again this year in a few weeks.

I have read alot of material on avalanches but am interested in taking a class. Does anyone know of any online courses or other options for a class here in the Midwest?

Thanks.

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
Took this class this year. I am also new to the mountains and felt this class was excellent and very informative. I actually took the classroom portion in Madison. Check out his website or contact him on Snowest for different dates. I think his name is snowww1.

Hope this helps man!
On the Snow Avalanche Rescue Class

Learn to rescue at a professional level.
Outdoors on the snow.​

Prerequisite: Four hour avalanche awareness, avoidance and rescue classroom session.

Learn: The fastest way to find a beacon, to search efficiently for multiple beacons, search patterns for multiple beacons, accurate pinpointing, common mistakes in rescue, find someone without a beacon, probe for a victim , effective shoveling techniques, how to work as a team, lead and execute a fast avalanche rescue.

Instructor: Mike Duffy. Level I & II Avalanche instructor Colorado Mountain College, rescue/avalanche team leader/avalanche mission coordinator Vail Mountain Rescue Group, instructor Walter Kirch Avalanche Seminars, graduate of National Avalanche School, National Academy of Winter Guiding, AVPRO. Mountain Snowmobiler for 20 years. Member American Avalanche Association. Trained by BCA, Snowpulse, and Ortovox.

Colorado:
February 13, 2011 Grand Mesa
location: Thunder Mountain Lodge. 20658 Baron Lake Dr Cedaredge, CO 81413 www.thundermountainlodge.net 877-470-6548
Time: 9:00am-1:00pm Sunday.
Cost: $69
Sign up: duffyww1@aol.com. Send check to: Thunder Mountain Lodge PO Box 726 Cedaredge, CO 81413

Course content:
• Single and multiple beacon searches.
o Search patterns.
o Walk by test.
o Working as a team.
o Accurate pinpointing.
o Effective shoveling
o Common mistakes in beacon searches.
• Probing
o Finding someone without a beacon
o Effective probing and pinpointing deep burials
• Rescue techniques.
o It not just looking at a beacon.
o Analyzing the avalanche and finding the most likely burial point.
o Coordination and step by step procedures for a fast rescue.
o Leadership and team work.
o probing and probe lines.
o Mistakes in rescue.
• Rescue scenarios.
o Group timed rescue.
o Find victims with and without beacons.

What to bring:
• Warm clothes and extra gloves. Dress much warmer than you would expect. We have never cancelled a class due to weather.
• Food and water.
• Sunscreen.
• Your avalanche gear: beacon, shovel, probe.
• Good health, please let us know if you have health conditions or concerns. We will be walking/running up and down hills on the rescue scenario and rescue station.

We supply: Beacons, shovels and probes if you do not have them.
Avalanche1.com

<!-- / message -->

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Where are you located in Wisconsin? I can let you know when I have classes scheduled.

Mike Duffy

www.avalanche1.com

Avalanche education for mountain riders.

M

monster715

Nov 4, 2009
Wisconsin
Hey Mike - sorry for the late reply.

I am located in New Richmond, WI. Just east of the twin cities.

I am originally from the Milwaukee area and have several buddies that I snowmobile with back there. I could certainly make it to a class in that area as well.

Thanks Mike!!!!!

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
I'm putting the schedule together for next year. I will be in the Minneapolis area in December and January. Also planning classes in Marshfield and Madison, WI. Will have a complete schedule at Hay Days. First step is to take the classroom session and second step is the on the snow rescue class.

Classes will be posted on www.avalanche1.com

Mike Duffy
Avalanche1.com
Avalanche education for mountain riders.

Premium Features