• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW TRACK

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
how is the trench factor in softer stuff ?

Had no problem with trenching but....there was only 4-6" of soft snow. The base was older wet snow that was set up. Some of the side hills were so hard and wins blown that the track made very little tracks. The side hill problem on this snow was with the ski pulling. The track really preformed good.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
So I bought the 137 for an 18yeti. Expecting the CMX stiff lugs to work well in our coastal snowpack (cascades). My question is for anyone who may of already narrowed one up. If I cut it to say 11" how much does it compromise the rigidity of the outer edge of paddles? Paddles being so wide, and stiff makes me think that taking one tower off wouldnt hurt but????? $$$$ Brand spankin new 137" Maxtrack 2 for sale in central WA by the way!

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I will post real world weights of both tracks and weight of trimmed cmx as well.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So I bought the 137 for an 18yeti. Expecting the CMX stiff lugs to work well in our coastal snowpack (cascades). My question is for anyone who may of already narrowed one up. If I cut it to say 11" how much does it compromise the rigidity of the outer edge of paddles? Paddles being so wide, and stiff makes me think that taking one tower off wouldnt hurt but????? $$$$ Brand spankin new 137" Maxtrack 2 for sale in central WA by the way!

Cmx specifically says you can cut it narrower.
They will cut it for $50 extra.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Yea, I know. After installing my buddies 137 yeti tonight, and comparing to our 129SS kits, Ive decided to go ahead and cut it to 11". That is the obvious width outside the extra tower?reinforcments.
The SS camso track is super similar, just softer, once the cmx is goes skinny. Gonna be a good year. Let it snow!

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Make sure you have the reinforced lug support closest to the edge of the cut .
Otherwise the lug could tear easily .
If for some reason you can't make that cut and have the softer part on the edge cut and angle to minimize the contact . Like most modern snowmobile tracks .
Hope that makes sense .

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Peak 2.5

Attachments

• IMG_20171213_070957707.jpg
    IMG_20171213_070957707.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 50

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
Installed the 129 on a 17 yeti, used a grinder to narrow both sides 1/8 inch. Can't cut that small of a amount. Ground down outer corner of paddle to allow clearance in yeti tunnel. Compared this track I installed on my sons yeti to a 137 aro track I installed on my bike. Kid won't return the 129 after he said he would (try) it if I installed it. This track was used in good powder and I now have to trim down another track. Good track mark.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
how is the trench factor in softer stuff ?

Think I have a reply for this question . I don't see how this track can trench much worse than a softer lugged track in deep snow because the kits are so light . It's a multi purpose track that is made for the deep snow and for getting on top as quick as possible but it also gives you traction that a soft lugged track has none of . I don't see where a soft lugged track has any advantages in technical riding the bikes want to do ?
On hard pack trails or spring riding a soft lugged track is almost useless . One of the biggest up grades that sleds were doing was to put tracks like this on . How'd you like to be the guy with a new snow check and this is the first thing he does before even riding .
I personally like this style of a track and maybe it's got something to do with all the time I put into customizing it but unfortunately I've already torn quite a few of those center lugs because they are a lot softer than some are making it out to be and lifting the ski pretty much any time I want to might have something to do with it also but I would think a snow biker would also appreciate that instead of looking for something to set up just to get the front end off the ground ?
If I can't respect it I don't want it .

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Think I have a reply for this question . I don't see how this track can trench much worse than a softer lugged track in deep snow because the kits are so light . It's a multi purpose track that is made for the deep snow and for getting on top as quick as possible but it also gives you traction that a soft lugged track has none of . I don't see where a soft lugged track has any advantages in technical riding the bikes want to do ?
On hard pack trails or spring riding a soft lugged track is almost useless . One of the biggest up grades that sleds were doing was to put tracks like this on . How'd you like to be the guy with a new snow check and this is the first thing he does before even riding .
I personally like this style of a track and maybe it's got something to do with all the time I put into customizing it but unfortunately I've already torn quite a few of those center lugs because they are a lot softer than some are making it out to be and lifting the ski pretty much any time I want to might have something to do with it also but I would think a snow biker would also appreciate that instead of looking for something to set up just to get the front end off the ground ?
If I can't respect it I don't want it .

I can’t believe I’m actually replying to your troll post.......

But......... If you don’t understand a stiff track trenching more than a soft track..........

I don’t think anyone can help you.......

Please understand that no matter how much you want to be an expert on all things single ski, you’re experience with the heavy hawk and a peak track is not the same as a snowbike with a cmx track...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I appreciate the credit you give me .

Last warning bud

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I was thinking of you yesterday , ought to make you feel good , while we were pulling in an oversized outhouse to a cabin .

Maybe in another twenty years you'll be lucky enough to troll the postings also .

Your right about nobody being able to help me , that's why I'm participating .

I've never said that I was running a CMX track but I was also clear that it's a Peak that you've reminded others several times .
The concept is still the same . It's not of the Challenger line up nor a Ripsaw and the many others .
I was patient with you when we talked a few years back and you actually thought you could make a better improved heavyweight . Seen how that turned out on your bike kit . At least you tried .
You totally ripped into me about a friendly reply and I've seen how you have done the same thing to others .
Maybe I am an expert , if a newbie can self proclaim them selves with a factory ride well than I've got that show boat beat by years . How do they even know what the options are to even compare besides proclaiming their ride is the bestest .

By the way ? Why aren't you riding a CMX ? They have been taking a piece of crap assembly line machine and making it into one of thee best mountain machines made .
Thanks for wrecking this thread on moving forward with what the CMX lug has to offer .

I'm here to try and move this sport forward not backwards and when someone asks a question I try to answer with options and my experience .

Premium Features