• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone run with NO handguard?

B
In/on the dirt, I don't run either a flag or a wraparound handguard. I just never have and never want to run them. Sure, I have the end of the clutch grip get a hole in it or rip, or my AL throttle tube might get scuffed, but otherwise in all my time, I've never seen or had the need to run one.

Now, on the snowbike, I had tried to fit the stock flag handguards/roost/wind deflectors but due to their design, I could not get them to fit and work with all the stuff I have on my bars. As I have a dual sport, I have a H/L/turnsignal/high beam flash and horn along with a wet/dry map switch on the clutch side, then have the kill/starter button along with the massive Hayes brake master on the throttle side.

I have a set of G2 Primus flag handguards on the way but wondered if anyone runs with no handguards at all?

I do have 12V grips already.

I wonder if guards block any wind anyway. Do they help in the cold?

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
they will block a bit of the cold, the reason we all run them is, the first time you hit a big branch, tree, snowrock being thrown at you, you will wish you had real metal barkbuster type guards, and not just flags. we run cycra crm's. big flags on the alum bars in winter, small flags in summer. I have all kinds of switches on my bars too. stop making excuses, and install protection, or wear a cast, and miss some riding. your results, may vary. Ski

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Ridiculous question. Its like asking if you really need to wear a helmit. If you are just riding the roads below 20 mph, then go ahead and dont use any safety equipment, noone cares. For myself, both of my hands would be in casts today if I didn't have strong hanguards on.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
I roosted a buddy(unintentionally) one time. No guards and broke I think 8 bones in his fingers. Yeah get some guards and make them work. Never know where a rock is hiding.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I feel that you will want them. Bocks cold and lets you put your visor down and keep the throttle on when blasting through the trees. Hesitation = stucks

M
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Since 1984 I have never ridden without hand guards. Riding eastern tight woods enduros makes it a no brainer. Whether they're called Timber Tamers, Cycra Pro Bends, bla, bla....There is always some form of rigid hand protection covering my bike's grips. Not just flags but rigid hand guards. I have even broken fingers with them on from falling. My dealer was riding last fall and a grouse flew up and hit his front brake lever...don't need to elaborate on that one.

If your coming from dual sport, I can see your norm but unless you stay out in open fields on the snow bike your going to have to have rigid hand guards.

K
Jan 3, 2017
Let me first start by saying I ride with them and like them, great protection and I can run gauntlets then to. The only thing I’ve heard that would ever make me reconsider is that they’ve been known to brake wrists if you go over the bars and your hand gets caught. Thankfully this has never happened to me. My hand always just slides out. But even in light of this I think they offer more protection than risk.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have hit enough trees snow/dirt to have saved many broken hands....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
What they say use rigid bark busters I use moose ones with the Big soft shields for wind protection, they work well together. The broken wrist in them is possible but unlikely.
We have probably 50 some guys that regularly ride and race off road and at least halve snow bike in the winter more less active riders and never heard of a broken wrist due to bark busters in our neck of the woods. Not Saying it can't happen just less likely than tracking hands and fingers on trees and from roost.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Next thread....Who rides without boots?

I did once, well at least I had my 6" high leather Redwings. Taped the snot out of my gaiters to the boots. But I wouldn't want to do it as a matter of course.

Premium Features