• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone cut the OEM 16" track paddles back to 15"?

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Not worth it.

What skis are you running? What are your spring settings and what is the center to center distance for your spindles? Are your skis set to "wide" or "narrow"

There are factors that make a bigger differance than a 1/2" off the track will ever make. I run cut skis and my sled lay's over with ease... both my 800 and my super heavy 1000.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
G MAN TRACK MOD

Did it several years ago to my converted Gade so that the track would clear the Van Amburg tunnel extension with internal support brackets. Didn't give it much thought but then started noticing it sidehilled BETTER than my '07 Rev Summit. So this past year I cut away at her and couldn't be happier. Even set the skis OUT another inch! Just lean and carve. There is no drawback and no cost other than the $8 nippers I used to do it from Harbor Freight. Cuts out 3/4-1 lb of rotating mass and still has the floatation of a 16 wide (best of both worlds). Actually increases your track speed (ask anyone how come Firecats were so fast!) and I regularly crushed XP's with my '07. Taller heavier riders may not see as much benefit which is why you see such heated debates over track width on Doo forums but I'm 5'9" and 175 lbs and this was the best mod I EVER did to my sleds and that's saying a lot for those that know me! There's a reason both Cat and Poo have a 39" ski stance (inch wider than REV in narrow position) and still sidehill BETTER!

Have FUN!

G MAN

P1030174.jpg

Last edited:
B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Thanks for the help--I had a suspicion the 16/15 track would work for my use but I was hoping for a conformation. Why did you leave a shoulder on the cut as opposed to cutting the full length?

BCB

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Thanks for the help--I had a suspicion the 16/15 track would work for my use but I was hoping for a conformation. Why did you leave a shoulder on the cut as opposed to cutting the full length?

BCB

Easier to cut that way,retains some track integrity, and it actually grabs some when sidehilling in icy conditions. Has worked very well for me.

Cheers,

G

Premium Features