• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proper Chain Tension Adjustment?

K
Setting the tension on the drive chain on a 2004 800 and a 2007 600. Both appear to have the same adjustment set up with the bolt on the outside of the chain case and the lock pin through the bolt. Is it....as tight as you can get it with your fingers then back off until the lock pin will go through the bolt?
Thanks in advance :beer;

W
Nov 3, 2009
lossen the tensioner bolt alittle bit then wiggle the clutch to make sure its not bowned up then finger tight then back it off alittle untail you can put the lock nut back on i just went over this at my skidoo shop and thats how they told me to do it

K
lossen the tensioner bolt alittle bit then wiggle the clutch to make sure its not bowned up then finger tight then back it off alittle untail you can put the lock nut back on i just went over this at my skidoo shop and thats how they told me to do it

Thanks. Are you taking repair courses because you been livin up to your name? :D (Wrecksalot)

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
Setting the tension on the drive chain on a 2004 800 and a 2007 600. Both appear to have the same adjustment set up with the bolt on the outside of the chain case and the lock pin through the bolt. Is it....as tight as you can get it with your fingers then back off until the lock pin will go through the bolt?
Thanks in advance :beer;

yes
this is what the race manual says
hand tight, back off only enough to slide cotter pin back in and done

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
Thanks a ton Enis! :beer;The tension on my 800 was pretty loose. Almost one full turn in of the adjustment bolt. Everything looks good inside...hope no damage done, rode it like that for about 1000 kms last year.

NP bro
what year sled u riding?
the '06's were know to have bad chains
I recently swapped mine out for a 15w chain & 15w top gear

when i took mine apart it was all still in tact after 1000 miles
good to have a spare though I guess

K
NP bro
what year sled u riding?
the '06's were know to have bad chains
I recently swapped mine out for a 15w chain & 15w top gear

when i took mine apart it was all still in tact after 1000 miles
good to have a spare though I guess

It's a 2004 Highmark Extreme Ho with about 1500 miles on it. Probably won't be making any changes right now as I'm really happy how it hooked up last year. Considering taking off the stabilizer bar however.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
hmm, finger tight? I just replaced my gear with a 19t, I had the cover off when I tightened it back up since I already have to have it off to replace the gear. I just set it back to the same amount of flex I had before.. Pretty much at a given point if you're watching the chain with like 1 turn it will go from being really loose, to "tight". I put just as this mark and then put the pin in. (it seemed to be about there before I took it off, or adjusted anything. I was using a ratchet the whole time..hm

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
hmm, finger tight? I just replaced my gear with a 19t, I had the cover off when I tightened it back up since I already have to have it off to replace the gear. I just set it back to the same amount of flex I had before.. Pretty much at a given point if you're watching the chain with like 1 turn it will go from being really loose, to "tight". I put just as this mark and then put the pin in. (it seemed to be about there before I took it off, or adjusted anything. I was using a ratchet the whole time..hm

yep, like mentioned above, turn the bolt to hand tight, then back enough to line the hole up w the cotter pin

i would check yours again dude, just to be safe

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
yep, like mentioned above, turn the bolt to hand tight, then back enough to line the hole up w the cotter pin

i would check yours again dude, just to be safe

ya just checked, I can wiggle the bolt with my hands it's a little tight but still turnable. If I go back any further it will slack the chain from what I saw. I can tighten it another turn if I really torque on it.

K
Every other sled I've had over the years has been"finger tight" then lock in that position with a lock nut. Because of the locking pin on the REV adjuster I wasn't sure if I back off until pin goes into place , or tighten til pin goes in. Backing off makes more sense as too tight is more harmful than a little loose. I've never heard of putting a ratchet on the tensioner :confused:

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
Every other sled I've had over the years has been"finger tight" then lock in that position with a lock nut. Because of the locking pin on the REV adjuster I wasn't sure if I back off until pin goes into place , or tighten til pin goes in. Backing off makes more sense as too tight is more harmful than a little loose. I've never heard of putting a ratchet on the tensioner :confused:

I only did it cause I had a long way to go, I had let it all the way out to replace the gear, I didn't want to spend an hour tightening it back up with my fingers

S

sledfoamer

Nov 27, 2007
Southern Oregon
I have a 07 and was told that the chain was a weak link (pardon the pun) and should be re placed if there was any metal on dip stick? Thanks

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
I have a 07 and was told that the chain was a weak link (pardon the pun) and should be re placed if there was any metal on dip stick? Thanks

no this isnt right
you will see SOME slight metal shavings on the dipstick, this is normal
now if there is metal chunks, like parts of a chain or gear, then yes replace

but a small amount of metal shavings is normal

R
Dec 30, 2007
Southern Idaho
Thanks a ton Enis! :beer;The tension on my 800 was pretty loose. Almost one full turn in of the adjustment bolt. Everything looks good inside...hope no damage done, rode it like that for about 1000 kms last year.

After the initial chain stretch and you're adjusted up you will be good for quite some time, I check the tension often and I can never get one more turn out of it.

Premium Features