• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skidoo 300F Freestyle Build...Should I?

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Link to actual build thread: http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354800

Come this fall, my little riders will be 8 (boy) and 10 (girl). They will have outgrown their Mountain Mod Longtrack 120's, so I'm looking for their next sleds.

The criteria for me is to put my kids on a sled that they can actually boondock with, set on its' edge and maneuver. It needs to have a 2 - 4 year life span. Light throttle pull and they must be able to start it.

After much research, I've concluded that a modified and stripped down Freestyle may be the answer. The 300F is at least 45lbs lighter than the 550F. It has a rider forward position and the power will not kill them but it will clip down the trail. The ski stance is very narrow at 32" but can be widened to 39 with stock replacements if needed.

What do you guys think?

300F.jpg

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had been wondering about one of those as well. They offered a long track version but I don't remember under what model or year that was made. We saw one at the Puyallup show this fall and opted to lift one end just to see if it was as light as I remembered, it wasn't. I still think they would make a good option for smaller kids and likely would not lose too much in street value for resell.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Come this fall, my little riders will be 8 (boy) and 10 (girl). They will have outgrown their Mountain Mod Longtrack 120's, so I'm looking for their next sleds.

The criteria for me is to put my kids on a sled that they can actually boondock with, set on its' edge and maneuver. It needs to have a 2 - 4 year life span. Light throttle pull and they must be able to start it.

After much research, I've concluded that a modified and stripped down Freestyle may be the answer. The 300F is at least 45lbs lighter than the 550F. It has a rider forward position and the power will not kill them but it will clip down the trail. The ski stance is very narrow at 32" but can be widened to 39 with stock replacements if needed.

What do you guys think?

H1

You did a GREAT job on the 120's

I'd like to see it!!

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
That will be our next sled. They are hard to find though. I watch the local classifieds daily, and have only seen two all season long. They didn't last long, and carried a premium.

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I scoured the specs for the short time period they were made and found that the 300F short track and long track only varied by 10lbs...370 to 380lbs. The 550F versions were 415 to 435lbs. The Tundra shared the same chassis for a few years and appears to be an equivalent sled other than a few cosmetic and utilitarian features.

I'm picking up an 06 Freestyle w/electric start and 121" track this weekend, because they are a bit hard to find and seem to disappear rather quickly. I have my eye on an 08 Tundra 136 as well. The specs are the same as the Freestyle but I'll have to see it first hand.

The plan is to remove the seat and replace with a motocross style seat. Replace the handlebars with lower and proper width for the kids. Remove all other unnecessary parts and gizmos to reduce the weight as much as possible.

F
Sep 19, 2012
I've had a kid on a 300F for three seasons, he's 13 now and will probably be ready for a bigger machine next season. We're gonna try our 5 year old, who is big for his age, on the Freestyle this Spring.
Been a great teaching platform, and it really is fun to play on, and so light it's easy to get unstuck. The wife and I ride 800's but have to admit we always love a little ride on the 300. It's a hoot!
I think it's the best little sled out there, but I'll echo the others here on tough to find...we looked for two years.
Happy Hunting.

C
Nov 29, 2008
should be a nice move up ...full size without the heft or excess power ... they are hard to find .... newer style Tundra might also be a good choice but I don't think they offered it in a 300 cc ........

The OEM's should look at newer intro sled having option of de-rating for new riders - maybe a different key that limits the max speed / power output seeing as most everything is computer controlled .... they do it for jet skis in rental fleets why not sleds. That way you could comfortably buy a new sled and let the kids use it without giving them access to full power / speed which they likely cannot handle.

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Ok, I just bought an 06 Freestyle 300F w/electric start from Wyoming. The owner just moved from New Hampshire and had purchased it new. I had a buddy from Billings pick it up for me this morning, so I won't have eyes on until I meet him at Togwotee next week for a man ride. Othe than some mouse turds, it's very clean. It has a 15 x 121 track and 32" ski stance.

On the hunt for number 2. I will start a new build thread when I actually start the process.

IMG950122.jpg IMG950123.jpg

B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
Im not a 300 expert but that sure looks like an 07. White panels and orange shock springs.... Do you mind telling what you had to give for it? The reason they are so quick to disappear out west is they are the designated sled for 8-10 yr olds in snocross. My son races his 300 and actually prefers it in the mtns to his 07 600 155. They will churn through about 18-24" of fresh if there is a good base but are so easy to get unstuck!! I raised his running boards and put lower/better bars on it, made a windshield out of an Edge headlight cover stripped the back of the tunnel and put the tail light in the back of the seat. I put a newer set of Doo skis on it also. I have a Wrp light weight seat foam and cover I just need to figure out how to make it work. The stock seat height is ok just too wide.

They are fun little machines but wait till you look under the hood. You can fit 3 more motors in there!!! And yes they are the ugliest sleds!!

I know of another for sale in ID but the dude wants $3,500. Pretty sure that's what they sold for new if not more.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
my son has been riding a 300 tundra for 3 yrs now. he is 11. great sled for younger kids. i wish they still made them, theres not much choice for an in between sled now. i couple things to watch is the exhuast braket on the muffler will break and melt the side panel and belly pan.

searchandrescue

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
We have been racing them in the 8-10 year old class here in MN. The freestyle backcountry had the 550fan in them. You can find them around here, but a lot of them have been raced. We head out 4-5 time a year. Many times with an open spot in the trailer. Let me know if you need one delivered.

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
Well, patience paid off for me. Picked up an '07 Skidoo Freestyle 300 with Electric Start and reverse with ONLY 30 MILES ON IT :face-icon-small-sho

Paid $2600 for it and pick it up tomorrow.

Can't wait. Going to miss our little SnoScoot Long Track though. It's been such a fun and reliable little machine. Just needed to step up to the next size for our 10 year old.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Nice.

My 10 year old is on an Indy Lite that I long tracked. Once it is geared down, the 1.25" lugs don't seem to bog it down much at all.

Good luck with the 300.

B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
Well, patience paid off for me. Picked up an '07 Skidoo Freestyle 300 with Electric Start and reverse with ONLY 30 MILES ON IT :face-icon-small-sho

Paid $2600 for it and pick it up tomorrow.

Can't wait. Going to miss our little SnoScoot Long Track though. It's been such a fun and reliable little machine. Just needed to step up to the next size for our 10 year old.

That was a great find!! I'm thinking you were lucky to snatch it up. I know of a few racers looking for them now. Does yours actually have an odometer? Mine doesn't:( I actually plan on being done with ours by the time my son is 10. He can only race it till he is 10 and depending on his mood he likes his 600 in the mtns as much as his 300. The 600 is just harder to steer so it wears him out but the 300 is a little slow for him on the hill.

Couple things to look for.... The bars are stupid replace them with a straight set and a riser to fit your rider. Also the front shocks suck! Over on doo talk you can find some nice info on a cheap fix with pvc pipe. Ive done it and it helps a little but am trying to get some shocks built for it now. The seat is too wide for little kids and I am working on that still. I have a WRP foam and cover for an xp I think and it is very similar I just need to take it to an uphosltry shop and make it work. The stock skis are also lacking but you can find some take offs cheap from the newer doo's that help a ton.

Gas and go from that point! Since it has been sitting along time check the boot from the carb to the engine for cracks. $80 if I remember. I was a little irritated with the price but oh well better than leaning the motor out.

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
Thanks for the heads up. I'm headed to pick it up today, so I haven't seen the odometer, but it is an '07, so maybe they added it in '07. Either way, the story checks out. The previous owner bought it for his son, and they had it out one time to the lake and back, and after the one trip, the dad was diagnosed with cancer and it sat for 4 years until he passed away last spring. The rest of their sleds are '05 Polaris's that they are selling, and they were advertised as having only a few hundred miles on them. I'll have to look into the upgrades and fixes you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up. Should be a bump of improvement performance wise over the Scoot. Pretty happy.

C
Jan 12, 2008
The freestyle 300 flat out rocks !!!!!

My first Ski Doo ever purchased.

Had a 1990 Yamaha Sno Sport 125 prior to this sled. Not a bad choice but un stable on trails and stuck in 5 feet off trail. My Yamaha Enticer 250 is awesome on trail, but again worthless off trail.

Anybody looking to build a FS300, feel free to call me. I have done just about everything to a brand new 2006 that you can do, short of long tracking it. Full gauges, speedo and tach, electric start kit, widened the ski stance, Yamaha Raptor 700 front shocks with Ski Doo covers, Simmons Gen1 skis, Mountain performance tunnel bag, Hand guards, 12 volt electrical outlet, primer installed on dash for easier cold starts, Ski doo tunnel re-inforcements, handlebar hooks, Low Ski Doo smoke windshield, etc etc. Motor stock.

Sled is without any doubt the best little sled you can put your young kid on. My daughter is 5 and she will be riding by herself next winter. Sled with wider stance goes down the trail with incredible stability but yet side hills with nest to no effort. 45 top speed but gets there very quickly. Performs in deep snow so well it's crazy. That little 300 Rotax and short track just keep pulling. Limited horse power does not let track spin in the deep, therefore sled does not get stuck very easily !

Note: To widen front end 4", you simply need to purchase Ski Doo Freestyle 550 front a-arms and tie rods. Use shock spacers on stock shock or replace shocks with after-market like I did. Stock skis are the worst quality I have ever witnessed on a sled oem. Replace them !!!

I could go on and on...So glad I discovered this sled !!

IPhone Pics 925.jpg IPhone Pics 926.jpg IPhone Pics 929.jpg IPhone Pics 983.jpg

Last edited:

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
Looks awesome! Turns out the one I bought does not have a tach, but the guy told me the only ride they went on was the first one that was 15 miles to the lake and 15 miles back. After looking at the sled, and especially the engine compartment, I believe him 100%. Sled still has all the laser printer labels on all the parts/tunnel, etc, and the pipe doesn't have a speck of rust on it. Really happy. The only thing I was disappointed about is that the ad said "easy starting" and in my rush of excitement upon finding it, I thought it said electric start, so it does not have it. If anyone has any leads on a used electric start kit, or where I could get an aftermarket setup, please share. I'd love to pick one up for this.

Premium Features