• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tire Chains and 4wd?

F
Nov 8, 2008
Lowry, Minnesota
I have an '07 Outlander 800. I was wondering if I wanted to run chains on it, if I needed them on all four tires in order to use the 4wd, or if running 4wd with just chains on the rear tires was alright. I just don't wanna tear up my front end. Thanks for any feedback.

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
Long term (if it's that bad) we cable/chain up all 4. But if it's short jaunt, just the front. Makes no sense to do the rear...Your steering and weight are at the other end.

I would imagine that long term rides with one end slipping alot more than the other could introduce stresses that wouldn't fair well..but not sure of the specifics. If it's bad out, I'll hook them up and even throw tag cables on the trailer. 10 mins of my life...big deal. Worth the confidence.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Stayton, Oregon
Actually, he's talking about his ATV.

Chains on all 4 tires would be best, but 2 on the fronts in 4WD will work in a pinch. Diffs and axles on your ATV are pretty stout, but will NOT take excessive spinning followed by sudden traction.

Just my .02

G

Gimpster

Used to chain up the front for pushing snow. Needed the traction when backing away from the snow pile
Since I switched to 27" Power King Mud Cat tires I have had no need for chains on my lifted Honda 450 Foreman.

----- Gimpster -----

Premium Features