• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cheap rear skid sag fix for G4

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Been fighting the rear sag issue on the G4 but after talking with Rene st Onge he stated that this fix has felt similar to adding three more adjustments to coil spring adjustments, and no more sag with you off the machine..

Doo has always been famous for there rear sag, but this cheap fix really shines quick.. And prevents rear shock from pounding out on the trail..

Before I started this quick1/2 hr job, I measured the sag on shop floor on setting 5 with rear bag and fuel caddy installed.. There was 3.5 inches

After installing the coil spring inserts there was no sag at all.. Fully extended and when I sit on the rear bumper it now drops 3.5 inches, jump off and it quickly rebounds to full length..

This has to be the best rear skid fix I have done to date, time to see how it's on the snow..:eyebrows:

image.jpg

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Been fighting the rear sag issue on the G4 but after talking with Rene st Onge he stated that this fix has felt similar to adding three more adjustments to coil spring adjustments, and no more sag with you off the machine..

So the skis will stay down better without having to shorten the front limiter strap?

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
What I found that works for me is the next heavier spring rate. their is a ton of difference in the weak/Soft stock springs and the next heavier. I had torsion spacers earlier in the season and it worked ok, but raised the rear up a little changing the geometry so the skis were pushed harder into the snow and the rear felt jacked up, felt like the front was plowing.
I installed a front cable limiter adjuster which broke the cable before I even really got to try it out. I find that there is no need to mess with the limiter with the heavy spring Rate. The actual Rate change of the spring is the most important thing in my Opinion. I also had my shocked Revalved by big john at Sled Head Racing Day one.. I have never bottomed my rear skid out yet and im 240 on #1 adjustment..

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
What I found that works for me is the next heavier spring rate. their is a ton of difference in the weak/Soft stock springs and the next heavier. I had torsion spacers earlier in the season and it worked ok, but raised the rear up a little changing the geometry so the skis were pushed harder into the snow and the rear felt jacked up, felt like the front was plowing.
I installed a front cable limiter adjuster which broke the cable before I even really got to try it out. I find that there is no need to mess with the limiter with the heavy spring Rate. The actual Rate change of the spring is the most important thing in my Opinion. I also had my shocked Revalved by big john at Sled Head Racing Day one.. I have never bottomed my rear skid out yet and im 240 on #1 adjustment..

Installed a new spring? If so what is the part number?

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
Installed a new spring? If so what is the part number?

Depends on what model you have summit x shocks use a different spring than free ride and summit SP.

Search for this pdf from dootalk, it has the spring part numbers. Lighter and heavier spring rates from the race manual. Look closely for your model. Also shows the rates.

B95A776D-1D42-49EF-9D98-B49E34C13ADE.jpg

Last edited:
H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR

Doo has always been famous for there rear sag, but this cheap fix really shines quick.. And prevents rear shock from pounding out on the trail..

Before I started this quick1/2 hr job, I measured the sag on shop floor on setting 5 with rear bag and fuel caddy installed.. There was 3.5 inches

After installing the coil spring inserts there was no sag at all.. Fully extended and when I sit on the rear bumper it now drops 3.5 inches, jump off and it quickly rebounds to full length..

This has to be the best rear skid fix I have done to date, time to see how it's on the snow..:eyebrows:

You need free sag. With your setup you have none.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Depends on what model you have summit x shocks use a different spring than free ride and summit SP.

Search for this pdf from dootalk, it has the spring part numbers. Lighter and heavier spring rates from the race manual. Look closely for your model. Also shows the rates.

I looked for this on DOOTALk and SKIDOO website. Did not find it.Went to aftermarket website just gives a choice between regular and heavy spring.

IS there a part number you know or post a chart?

thank you

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
Those spring inserts have been around for a couple of years. I highly recommend them before getting the fat boy springs.
Think a person in Alberta started making them, than a few others caught on to it. It’s on snowandmud.com

Last edited:
S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
A new set of springs are $100 and these plastic plugs are $44 ?

Hmm what to do?

You might actually need both. Get springs suitable for your weight and then put the plugs in to make them work properly. (but you could make the plugs yourself).

Have had a couple of Polaris sleds that I have put their Heavy Duty springs on, and have made and put "radial spacers" on all of them to make the springs work as they should.

I
Dec 21, 2016
Hygear has been selling these for years; I have them on both of my sleds. Sure they work, but I wouldn’t consider them a substitute for worn springs. They’ll make good springs a bit better.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
You might actually need both. Get springs suitable for your weight and then put the plugs in to make them work properly. (but you could make the plugs yourself).

Have had a couple of Polaris sleds that I have put their Heavy Duty springs on, and have made and put "radial spacers" on all of them to make the springs work as they should.

Make the plugs myself?

What material is used?

Hmmm … sounds like a MCGuver situation !

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

How do you make the plugs?

What material and any vendor source?

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
How do you make the plugs?

What material and any vendor source?

I live in Sweden so where to get material over there I don't know.
"Any" plastic material, almost, would do. I got some Polyamide, (PA6), rod at work and asked one of the lathe-guys to machine it to specs. (Shaft/axle outer diameter + 1mm, Spring Inner diameter - 2mm-ish)

BUT I recon after some digging you might find a suitable plastic pipe that only requires to be cut to length. I don´t remember the numbers now but piece with approx Id/Od 25/50mm might be a direct fit.

On an old, well it was new then, ProXR 800 I had I made the spacers from two pieces of thin walled plastic tube, one the correct inner diameter and the other with correct outer diameter, and jammed some "garden hose pieces" that i had opened/split length wise in between the two pies making a bushing of sorts with plastic outer and inner surfaces w rubber in between. (I got the idea to make them a Saturday night and that was what material I found in the garage :face-icon-small-hap) It worked just fine for two years/4500km.
Just dont make the spacer too big, there should be some play/clearance between the spacer and spring.

Premium Features