• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Want opinions from axys ship jumpers

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
In the market to snowcheck a sled this spring, ive ridden and axys for a few years, pro before that, '10 M8 before that. Im not sold on the axys 850s durability, so looking at a new alpha or G4 850. So what was your experience going from the axys to the G4?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
In the market to snowcheck a sled this spring, ive ridden and axys for a few years, pro before that, '10 M8 before that. Im not sold on the axys 850s durability, so looking at a new alpha or G4 850. So what was your experience going from the axys to the G4?

I’ve owned all three
Alpha 165
Doo 175
Axys 155

If you really liked your axys I would say stay with a Polaris. The alpha works extremely well I don’t think I would 165 again it’s got a very planted feel to it on the not so deep days. That’s my opinion

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have rode nothing but Ski Doo's since I started riding. I have 2 of the most tricked out Ski Doos I know of and I just bought a 850 Patriot today. The Polaris is seriously for real. I don't know if I am switching for good but this Polaris destroys the G4 when it comes to effort to ride through trees :face-icon-small-dis

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I went from a 2016 axys to a 17 doo 850 and think the doo is my all time favorite sled. Axys was great, but the doo is even better for me. My buddy who I sold my axys to is a poo die hard, and tried a doo 850 this year and absolutely loves it as well. He blew a belt at 400 miles, which he didn't care for. But loves the g4. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them. snow check one and enjoy it.

schaef_12

Lifetime Membership
Sep 7, 2011
I have only ridden Polaris sleds since 2011. My Last two sleds where a 2017 Axys 3" and then a 2017 Axys 2.6 with SLP pipe and carls clutching. This year a Bought 2018 Summit SP 154 3" holdover because it was a great deal.

I really didn't know what to expect but I knew the motors are great and the sled is dependable. Not that I had issues with any of my other sleds.

First off, the motor is Fantastic. It has great power that comes on nice and smooth.

I was pleasantly surprised how easily I was able to get used to the sled, mainly the steering. It does take a little bit to get used to but overall not bad.

The thing I like most about this sled in stock form is how playful it is, especially in less than Ideal snow condition. Its just a riot to ride, and gets around very well.

Now for some things I wish I could change,

I really miss my Axys when it comes time to pick a nice steep sidehill line and stick to it. Some of this could be rider error due to getting used to the chassis, but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that you can hold the sidehill especially when trying to squirt between two tree holes. I know everyone says to lock out Tmotion, but I really like the Tmotion when not trying to hold a technical sidehill.

The steering effort is basically zero, but this results in two things for me, 1 it takes a lot more input (back and forth) than the Axys to get the same result, 2nd its easy for hidden objects under the snow like old tracks, hard drifts, trees etc to put feeback into the bars and is somewhat hard on your wrists when not expecting it.

Lastly is weight. It doesn't weigh a ton more, and certainly does not feel heavier when riding it, but when it time to dig out you can tell its there.

Overall, I am surprised at how much I enjoy the sled. It is a blast to ride, but does suffer some when it gets steep and technical. It does seem to not cut through the snow as easily as the Axys chassis, so it doesn't really run away from the 800HO Axys in the deep pow.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Basically schaef summed it up. I've rode everything turboed and stock. If you really liked the axys I would get the poo 850. It is the real deal. The new front end is the best thing about it.If you want to try the doo they are awesome but do have a few quirks like said above. I still have my 18 turbo. If you really want to try something fun then try the alpha. Funniest sled I've ever rode. If you try the doo you need to hang in there long enough to get used to it. A little different when climatized to the axys or cat. All 3 are great.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I do love the chassis of my axys. Guess we will see what 2020 changes are

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
I tend to agree with the general consensus of the internet but I'll throw my thoughts out. I went from a 163 2.6 to a 154 3.0

I like how easy it is to get the doo to react. Especially to foot and weight position. 850 power is nice and I think the Gen 4 is easier to get on its side.

Doo is much more difficult to downhill side hill with.

Axys is easier to keep on its side and I prefer the rider geometry. I would be interested to see how the narrower ski stance plays into getting the axys on its side.

Another big thing I miss about the AXYS is that it pops up on to the snow. I didn't truly appreciate it until I rode a Doo. That track likes to teach and throw the skis in the air. Especially in deep snow. Axys is clearly the better chassis.

Polaris accessories blow Doo out of the water, which I found shocking. Specifically the tunnel bags and cover.

Overall, I think Doo is good for more recreational riders while Polaris seems to lend itself more to advanced riders. Obviously there's beaters and pros on both. But, sometimes it feels like I'm riding with training wheels on my doo. Mostly because it seems to sacrifice technical riding abilities for ease of riding in not so technical terrain

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I would go someplace that has them for rentals and rent one. I was a Poo guy for 18 years. Last I owned was 13' Pro. My son has an Axys. Where we ride there isn't that much ultra technical riding so with the t-motion locked out I feel the Scud is a bit behind the Axys for "Burandt" style riding but for 90% of those who ride, it's easier. My son is selling his Axys for a G4 this summer. I think anyone who jumps without at least renting a sled for a day is crazy! Not jumping on buddies sled to try a hill, spend the whole day on it. I am seriously thinking about renting an Alpha for day. Not brand loyal, I just want to have fun and not feel like I was the one rode at the end of day. Good luck.

acsnopro

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2008
SW Colorado
I jumped ship to Doo in 2017 to a 165 3". Before that was on a Polaris. 2017 was the longest year of being unsatisfied I've ever had. If you like how predicable a Polaris is you will find the Ski Doo is completely opposite. I went back to an axys for 2018 and am currently riding a 2019 850 163 2.6. By far the funnest mountain sled I've ever owned. Right now I'm at 550 trouble free miles.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I spent most of the season switching between an axys 174 and an 850 165. The 850 is a ton of fun to ride. Easy, powerful, steering is very light, handles great,BUT when it gets tough, bottom of a creek, tough side hill, deep snow, trees, for me the axys works better. The doo is a fun 85% of the time, but that 15% I really need a stud horse axys is it.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Owned all 3. Still have a 2018 G4 165. Started this season on an 850 Axys 163, great sled and I see the appeal of the Axys chassis but after 2 months on it I sold it for an Alpha 154. Alpha hands down is the most fun sled to ride, track hooks up like crazy, nothing turns like it, sidehills better then the G4 and just as good as the Axys in 90% of situations, the 800 makes great power. Cat has come along way in the last few years and they are well worth a look at. After being on the Alpha for a month now I can safely say it is my favourite of the bunch.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
I had an xm, an xp and a 850 g4...i was a doo guy till the axys came out. sold all 3 and got an axys 850... dont believe all the bs on here about the 850 poo motor... a 2% fail rate is on par with everyone else... i liked my 850g4 but i demo rode an axys and it was so much better in so many ways, better chassies, easier to work on, easier to pick a line and stay on it, better skis and track etc... i would not let the 850 motor turn u off from the axys

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I had a 2016 SKS. Now I have a 165 G4. The only time I miss the Polaris is in the trees. The g4 takes a little bit longer to get used to.. and even then I don't think it sidehills like the axys. In saying that, I'd pick the g4 over the axys. For reliability and durability alone. I had some issues with the axys and got pretty tired of it. Both are great sleds, I probably just had a lemon. Can't go wrong with either.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I own a Gen 4 and an Axys 800. I think your preference has a lot to do with what stage of life you in. I'll turn 60 this year, and I definitely prefer the Gen 4 (except in really deep powder, then it is a toss up). I can hold my own with the younger guys, but I'm not as strong as I used to be, reflexes aren't as fast, and my balance isn't as good. The Gen 4 is just easier for me to ride and I use a lot less energy riding it, which results in a longer day on the snow and more fun. When I ride the Axys in more set-up snow I struggle to make it do what I want it to do. I regularly take one of my sons who are in their 20's- 30's with me as riding partners. They all prefer the Axys over the Gen 4.

How you're able to ride and what you ride best is different when you're 20 than it will be when you're 40, and it's different when you're 40 than it will be when you're 60.

B
Feb 18, 2009
My riding buddy has a Axys and another had a 13 Pro. The guy on the Pro was set on buying a an Axys then he rode my Gen 4... He bought a Gen 4 a week later. My buddy on the Axys rode my Gen 4 and was shocked how much less effort it took to ride. We are all in our mid 40s and mostly recreational riders. We all like to sidehill and play in the trees but stay away from the extreme technical riding. I've come to the conclusion that the Axys will out perform the Gen 4 in extreme terrain but everywhere else the Gen 4 is just easier to ride and takes a lot less effort. Towards the end of the day my buddy on the Axys is worn out and taking a lot of breaks while I'm riding around like the energizer bunny. IMO, get the Axys if you like to ride extreme terrain and keep yourself in great physical shape otherwise get the Gen 4...

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The 850 is much better than the Axys. Rode an 800 Axys today that had a MtnTk turbo and it still doesn't compare to the 850. The guy said he is selling his Axys to buy a Patriot after he got off my sled. I love how many guys are rating my thread bad :face-icon-small-dis

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
On a side note I am talking about the most extreme riding. 98% of the people I have seen ride that are on this forum I wouldn't even consider intermediate. The Ski Doo 850 is probably the best beginner sled on the market. It feels like it has the most power and is great if you don't ride extreme terrain. It will get a newbie up a steep hill better than anything.

Premium Features