• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 YZ250 18 Camso build and review

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So finally finished picking up an 06 yz250 that needed a complete rebuild.I think this bike rips, is super agile and is a blast to ride. Below is the list

Derek Harris porting to accept a ktm250sx piston
(when I got it at first there were so many roughed up ports combined with smooth ports I thought what did I buy) More on this...

Lectron 38mm HV
PST carb heat
Raze heated handbars
Polished trans-This was surprisingly besides the porting my favorite thing. Shifting under power is buttery smooth.
Balance crank

I was building this for my wife and son... Rode it today to get it dialed in ... there was about 15 inches of powder with somewhat of a base.

The porting job is freakin awesome... It gave a bug increase through the powerband to the point the gears it can pull equaled my cr500 with a 15 timbersled LT. The porting job has really gave this bike enough pop to get the front ski up and I am 220 without gear..... but it is still able to pull the power rpms and shift with ease.

I put an EGT on and the Lectron out of the box was perfect... go figure no tuning

This thing handles amazing and is so light and flickable that I could see picking this bike as the bike of choice is there is not super deep powder

At the end of the day I ended up with a super nice bike basically new everything $6800 all in with a new kit...

IMG_20180306_114415-EFFECTS.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwpkj21f7quzsbm/IMG_20180306_122139.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecvrs4xpuj8uzvn/IMG_20180306_114415-EFFECTS.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
You don't have to spend 20g to get a good bike what you have there is a case in point.

I have been waiting for my new YZ rads which finally showed up yesterday no thanks to FedEx/USPS, so I have been riding my CR500. I like the 2 stroke. Its light and it makes tons of power. After riding the YZ all season I'd forgotten how hard that CR500 rips. Get a 2 stroke on the pipe and just leave it there. On the 4T it seems like my YZ makes its best power at about 3/4 to 7/8 throttle but the 2T can run pinned and it just keeps climbing.

M5

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
2 and smoke

the other issue that makes a 2 stroke likeable, 2 strokes have better in the snow track hookup. I was never as disappointing yeas ago when we played with the first performance 4 stroke sleds, turbos , nitrous, two strokes like the snow............four strokes... well mostly like the garage and I force mine out into the snow 3 times a week.

4 stroke power in loose sand/snow/swamps are just way out of their element, problem is thats mostly whats available down at the local bike shop.

Premium Features