• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For now...How best to tune stock KTM suspension?

A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
I will eventually be sending my shocks into RG3 for a full re-valve and tune.

"RG3 suspension in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho has come up with a Snowbike setting for the forks that works extremely well and keeps the front end from diving. The feedback so far this season has been AWESOME! The Timbersled staff endorses the valving specs by RG3 on their personal Snowbikes and are excited about the way the chassis handles. We have customized numerous forks and have come up with a setting that enables the bike to ride on top of the snow by transferring the load of the motorcycle off the front end, which ultimately enhances the rider experience."

BUT until then....what is the best settings for a stock KTM 500 XC-W? If I install a heavier spring now, will RG3 still utilize it? I am absolutely clueless when it comes to fork tuning so any details about where the actual tuning adjustment is and how to test it is much appreciated.

Also, I am interested in any information about how to tune the rear skid and better shock options? Is it worth it? Should I even mess with it or just get a SX?

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
West of Boulder, Colorado
You could call RG3 and see what springs they would recommend and buy those, that way they're in there when you send them in. To get by until a revalve, try running some heavy 20wt oil and cranking the compression/rebound up. Those changes alone will make a really big difference for the fork.

L
Jun 26, 2008
sproing

i weight 175 and i put .53 springs in my 500 xcw, i have a long track and that puts even more leverage on the forks, but i dont feel like its too stiff at all. i also turned my rebound pretty fast.

T
Aug 12, 2008
Misery Bay, MI
Honestly I don't know if a snowbike specific revalve is necessary. The goal of a fork revalve is to deal with small bump compliance especially in the WP forks. With a snowbike its about bottoming resistance and carrying the weight(springs). If you ride your bike in summer, I'd go with a hare scramble or moto revalve and go up 4-5 sizes on your summer fork spring rate. This will give you the bottoming resistance and a good ride on the dirt. I thought going with a 8-10 increase it seemed harsh/pogo effect.

NorWest Suspension

Lifetime Membership
BUT until then....what is the best settings for a stock KTM 500 XC-W? If I install a heavier spring now, will RG3 still utilize it? I am absolutely clueless when it comes to fork tuning so any details about where the actual tuning adjustment is and how to test it is much appreciated.

Check out Motovate Racing in Rifle Colorado, They are a Race Tech center and have direct access to a Race Tech support person that lives in North Idaho and has made recommendations for snowbikes across the country.

Premium Features