• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 viper oil pressure issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
Let's not blow it out of proportion. I rode one most of the year last season with just a few hiccups. It is a teething process any new sled goes through.

Thank you!! yes lets defiantly not blow this thread apart!!! I have had a blast on this sled the 108.5 miles i have road it, the power is endless and smooth just like my dirt bike. It is still early in the season and I want to get some more miles on before we start giving full review of this sled, just wanted to keep my belt free of any blow off that may occur.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
They should have all the same info. I just know Canadian dealers have been looking after the 2014 purchasers. I've pointed my Viper up some amazingly steep chutes without any interruptions once the re-flashed ECU was installed......worked as intended. No problems whatsoever.
Cheers
RS

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Unreal! Really glad I haven't abandoned the unbroken Nytro. I feel bad for all you with snow but now waiting for this issue to be resolved; the season is too short for these kinds of things. Hope they get it fixed very soon.

How does yamaha "test" all year long and something as major as this issue just shows up in production? Christopher, not sure if you're riding yet but you may want to keep Nytrocity another year.

When I demo'd the viper last year it went into safe mode every time I had the sled vertical on a climb, my 2015 viper haven't had that issue yet and it sure hasn't stopped me from riding and I'm pretty everyone else isn't gonna let a new sled collect dust cuz it goes into safe mode when the sled is standing straight up and down

On another note the vipers teething issues which there is already a solution in place from Yamaha seems pretty minor when you compare the other companies and their first year release disasters, The season is too short to not be riding a Yamaha

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
View attachment 243392 I think its way to heavy :face-icon-small-win
Yup
Someone seems to have forgotten to tell the Viper it Can't Fly!!
picture.php

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The oil is being lost out the overflow. It depends on how much you are putting in the tank. The problem with oil in a sled is if you have 2 teaspoons come out the overflow it looks like the Exxon Valdez under your motor or wherever you are venting the overflow too. It does not take much to make a mess.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
take it from Christopher he would know. Didn't you blow a hole in one of your oil lines last year or was it two years ago on your way back to the truck with the nytro???

arctic viper

Premium Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sioux Falls SD
The oil is being lost out the overflow. It depends on how much you are putting in the tank. The problem with oil in a sled is if you have 2 teaspoons come out the overflow it looks like the Exxon Valdez under your motor or wherever you are venting the overflow too. It does not take much to make a mess.

So....what you're saying is........I should put in less oil to make less of a mess??.....what is the name of that super slickem stuff....oh,, I remember, Slick 50, treat it with that and I can run with no drain plug, right??

Hey Christopher, can you track to see how many search Slick 50?

My first venture into the smokeless sled....an oil down on the pavement is bad enough, I wouldn't ever live down a oil down on the snow.

Last edited:
T
Mar 30, 2010
getting this back on topic! i talked to Rexburg Motorsports and the software update has been released on 29th of nov. that part is free! the oil tank is not. Yamaha will not pick up the tab so $200 plus tax if you want the 2015 tank which you can now order as of last week no part # yet! I will have my tank off and will add pics to compare the 2 when the new one shows up!

Tomkat700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2013
Pierce, Co
getting this back on topic! i talked to Rexburg Motorsports and the software update has been released on 29th of nov. that part is free! the oil tank is not. Yamaha will not pick up the tab so $200 plus tax if you want the 2015 tank which you can now order as of last week no part # yet! I will have my tank off and will add pics to compare the 2 when the new one shows up!

Is this update and new tank on the 2015 MTX models?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I finally had my first ride and had a curious issue. Two separate times I went to start my sled and it wouldn't fire and had the oil light illuminated. I assume it is an oil pressure issue, but the random no start is bugging me.

Both times I had performed a sidehill, had the sled off camber, stopped and shut down on a flat. When I went to immediately restart it cranked with no fire. I waited a few minutes and it started with no problems.

No issues when it was running. Climbing, jumping, sidehills...all was fine until I shut it down.

Any ideas? I'm leaning towards an oil sensor or maybe a pinched line someplace. It was random for sure.

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
When I emptied my oil tank to install my mpi turbo kit, I had about 3 Qts of oil in my drain pan. The instructions show to add approx. 1 Qt. I'd say you are low on oil since you are shutdown with no oil pressure when your problem shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features