• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need new skis.

Dec 26, 2010
The skis are worn down to the point where they are no good anymore on my 2008 summit x 800.Does anyone have any suggestions on what skis to buy, or where to buy them from? Should a guy buy xp skis? Xm skis? Camoplast? Thanks in advance!

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I own both the DS2 and Grippers. Grippers are on my sled and the DS2 are in the shop collecting dust. Get the Poo Grippers, hands down best bang for your buck. IMO..
If you go the gripper route order and (havent centered your skis) buy 4 spacers and the rubber ski pads from polaris too. Buy a slightly longer ski bolt and add a small spacer or two on either side to get the fit tight and BAM! you've got a great ski, with carbides centered on the spindle for less than $275.00.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The skis are worn down to the point where they are no good anymore on my 2008 summit x 800.Does anyone have any suggestions on what skis to buy, or where to buy them from? Should a guy buy xp skis? Xm skis? Camoplast? Thanks in advance!

I have the Grippers and Mohawks. Rode Mohawks yesterday and they do have a different feel. The grippers are a great ski, soft ski absorbs hits and adds to the suspension. wide shovel stays at the surface with very good float. The steering effort is very easy and good all around with less aggressivness traits.The only shortfall is when digging in the ski for hard bottom turns due to the wide shovel which resists diving and is necessary for this tight turn, The Mohawks do have some medium flex and steer with more effort however they are more responsive due to deeper aggressive keel.. The shovel is narrower and easier to dig in a ski for sharp bottom turns or quick edging, ski has a tad less overall float. very well balance but more for the aggressive rider, Everythings is a trade off, people say their ski pushes. thats due to less aggressive keel however deeper keels will add to steering effort. Depends on where you want your sled to excel. I will be trying the Mohawks in the forward position next and see if the steering effort relaxes ,so far both are Great and will continue comparing.There will be tradeoffs on any keel/ski design.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I agree.....Polaris Grippers or Mohawks, cant go wrong with either. The ultimate combination (IMO) is to use SLP spindles with either of these skis on xp or xm. Lessens the steering effort, lessens feedback through the bars, lowers the front.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I agree.....Polaris Grippers or Mohawks, cant go wrong with either. The ultimate combination (IMO) is to use SLP spindles with either of these skis on xp or xm. Lessens the steering effort, lessens feedback through the bars, lowers the front.

So they decrease the distance from bottom A arm mount to ski mount I assume? Making the sled feel a bit lighter, decreasing pressure without requiring suspension changes that would do the same, any change from upper to lower distance?

Wish there was more info on them on their site.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
They are almost 1.5" shorter from lower ball joint to ski bolt.
They place the ski bolt slightly behind the lower joint rather than forward. The whole combination just works good. Seems to help eliminate the tendency of the chassis to drop the tail (or plant the skis??) on steep sidehills.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
They are almost 1.5" shorter from lower ball joint to ski bolt.
They place the ski bolt slightly behind the lower joint rather than forward. The whole combination just works good. Seems to help eliminate the tendency of the chassis to drop the tail (or plant the skis??) on steep sidehills.

You bastird. My budget for the 14 is pretty much gone, and the running boards are going to do it in completely... now you gotta do this to me.

Not cool man... not cool :lol:

T
Feb 12, 2014
I have slydog powder hounds.. love them great flotation and siddhill capabilities and actually bite good on the trail too. IMO best for what I doo

L

LRD

Mar 27, 2002
I have PowderHounds on my 08 TNT with a 141 X 2.25 track. The Powderhounds work pretty good under most conditions, but are downright scary with crusty snow as far as darting, have a total mind of their own and they keep changing it. My PowderHounds on the old Rev chassis worked awesome, not quite as good on XP.

Over on dtalk XP mtn section theirs a 18 page thread (Ski Test) on putting Pro Grippers on Xp's with results and how to simply do it. And you don't have to pay to read the entire thread!!

I will be getting a set of Grippers and likely selling my PowderHounds.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have PowderHounds on my 08 TNT with a 141 X 2.25 track. The Powderhounds work pretty good under most conditions, but are downright scary with crusty snow as far as darting, have a total mind of their own and they keep changing it.

Over on dtalk XP mtn section theirs a 18 page thread (Ski Test) on putting Pro Grippers on Xp's with results and how to simply do it. And you don't have to pay to read the entire thread!!

I will be getting a set of Grippers and likely selling my PowderHounds.

Grippers are Awesome! even rode on a XP yesterday and flawless

Premium Features