• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ads with Audio - Very Intrusive

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I'm not usually one to piss and moan about forum specifics......

......but these ads that start randomly blaring audio are a little much. I understand forums need advertising to operate, but this really detracts from the experience.

Is there a way to disable this in our personal settings? Or at least disable for paid members. I hate to play that card, but this IS the only internet forum I pay for, and the only one with intrusive audio ads.

Just a thought,

Jason

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I can't complain because I am a free member and apparently that makes me a lazy entitled freeloader but yes the audio caught me by surprise. I usually open thread in new tabs and it took me awhile to figure out where the voices were coming from.

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
Never thought I'd be giving you a thumbs up Jay :face-icon-small-hap, but I strongly agree!! Not only are they intrusive, as I stated in another thread regarding these ads, they burn up a ton of data usage for those of us are on limited data plans since they are auto-running streaming vids as well. They need to stop using them, or at least disable the auto-run feature so they will only run if you decide to click on them.

hockeyb4

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I agree completely ads are one thing, but when you pay and still have to deal with them thats a bit much

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
That doesn't solve the problem for those of us who have a limited data amount, and these non stop streaming video adds eat up a massive amount of data in an extremely short period of time. I happened to notice a couple days ago my usage went way up, I started paying attention to figure out why, this morning I was on Snowest for less than 10 minutes and burned through 140MB of data, then I noticed the video add running, this was the only site I was on at the time. I used to be able to be on Snowest for hours and only burn up 20-30MB of data as long as I wasn't watching vids.

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
Yes I am not one to complain either but I am restricted on my data amount(satellite internet cause I live out in the boonies so to say:face-icon-small-ton ) As this is also the only forum I pay for I would like to see the ad either removed or the auto play function disabled! It is burning up my Data allowance like mad since how it seems to have to reload every single time I click onto another page of the forum....

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Yes I am not one to complain either but I am restricted on my data amount(satellite internet cause I live out in the boonies so to say:face-icon-small-ton ) As this is also the only forum I pay for I would like to see the ad either removed or the auto play function disabled! It is burning up my Data allowance like mad since how it seems to have to reload every single time I click onto another page of the forum....

The ticker at the bottom shows over 22,000 active users signed on the forum right now, they don't give a rats *** about us right now....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have absolutely no control over the boarders of the forums.
I had a face to face meeting with the guys at Harris Publishing a week or so ago and the push video was a major topic of discussion.

I did my very best to convey your HEARTFELT concerns about them.

Right now I have no solution to offer you.
But..
I may have one in January.

If we do come up with something you can look forward to one of those PMs you so love getting from me telling you all about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
I posted under forum suggestions, before Christopher had posted about his efforts. As for me, Harris has all the forum money they will get-- lifetime member. However, my paper and e-zine subscriptions are annual, and I can live without those magazines just as easily as I can quit coming to the forum. Hate to quit either but I don't stay on any webpage with auto video/noise, no matter how much I could use the information or the product offered on the page.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I really am trying to make sure the powers that be understand and appreciate how members feel about the "Push Video" that is being sent to their screens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

J

jholer

Dec 9, 2007
Jackson, WY
audio

This is possibly the most annoying pop up add audio situation we've got going on. Not usually one to complain, but this has got to go. Thanks mods

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
We, the paying members, should have some say. There are 4,531 members on line right now, at $14.95 per member (posted annual fee), thats $67,738.45. That more than enough pays for our right not to have to have these annoying ads and videos ruining our forum experience. Harris Publishing needs to face us and explain why $67,738 is not enough! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I say if it was not clearly stated in terms of usage a class action law suit is in order..

hahaha...

yea its driving me nuts as well..along with other issues...

Premium Features