• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

EVOLUTION POWERSPORTS & MPI introduce Yamaha Nytro ECU Reprogramming

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Evolution Powersports in conjunction with our technology partner, Mountain Performance Inc. (MPI) are proud to announce the development of a broad range of ECU Programs for the Yamaha Nytro. Our strategic development group has spent the last 2 years perfecting a variety of different OEM ECU software calibrations that are ready to be unleashed on the Yamaha community.

For sale now:

MPI/EVO Safety Flash: In this software recalibration, the way the ecu reads the water temperature sensor is rescaled so that engine protection maps are engaged 20 deg F sooner than stock (stock 212F, now 190F). This will also turn on the temp light on the dash sooner. The stock parameters are not sensitive enough to protect the engine while under boost. If the temp light comes on while on boost, it is likely that the engine will be damaged before you can react to protect it. Our software flash will alert the rider and begin to protect the engine by reducing timing to help safeguard against engine damage due to temperature induced detonation caused by high water temperatures. This flash works on ANY Normally Aspirated, Turbo or Supercharged Nytro as long as it utilizes the stock ECU. $299

MPI/EVO Reduced Timing Flash: In this software recalibration, we remap the timing tables to curve them for a boosted application. We gradually remove ignition timing as rpm increases to eliminate any engine detonation. Depending on the application, the reduction of ignition timing can lower the fuel octane requirements, allow the engine to safely run higher boost and even eliminate the need to run a head shim. A good rule of thumb is that this calibration allows for 2 to 3 more PSI of boost without further engine modification or fuel octane increase. This flash works on ANY Turbo or Supercharged Nytro as long as it utilizes the stock ECU. $299

MPI/EVO Safety Flash with reduced timing: In this software recalibration, the safety flash and reduced timing flash are combined to offer the ultimate performance and engine safety package. This flash works on ANY Normally Aspirated, Turbo or Supercharged Nytro as long as it utilizes the stock ECU.$399

MPI/EVO 2008-2011 Nytro hand warmer fix: The reason the hand warmers do not work adequately on older Nytro’s has nothing to do with the warmers themselves – the problem resides in the ECU programming and how the hand warmers function. We recalibrate the way the ECU handles the power output to the hand warmers which makes them function more effectively like the newer 2012+ models.This flash works on ANY 2008-2011 Nytro $99.00 or $79.00 with any other flash

MPI/EVO 550cc Injector Flash: This software recalibration allows the replacement of the OEM 330cc injectors with 550cc injectors. The 550’s will operate the sled IDENTICALLY to the 330’s, but will have the capability to flow 40% more fuel. Property scaled larger fuel injectors are the only way to increase fuel delivery and have an OEM like performing engine – without hesitations, stumbles, etc. There is no need to control extra injectors which complicate any turbo or supercharger installation. We have also increased the idle RPM by 150. This software flash is sold only with our high quality Bosch 550cc injectors which includes the direct replacement kit for the OEM 330cc units. This flash is for Big HP Turbo or Supercharged Nytros running an auxiliary injector or fuel system. $799 with three 550cc direct replacement injectors.

Add the Safety or Reduced timing flash for $99, or both for $199.

For more information, please contact:

EVOLUTION POWERSPORTS
30960 HUMMINGBIRD LANE
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, CO 80487
970-680-EVO1 (3861)
INFO@EVOPOWERSPORTS.COM

OR

MOUNTAIN PERFORMANCE (MPI)
12379 So. 265 W, Unit B
Draper, UTAH 84020
(888) 649-4609

Last edited:
B
Dec 5, 2010
So you want the public to pay $300 for their water temp light to come earlier? A water temp gauge is half that with pipe adapter. Then have the already crap factory grips get warm for $100 when a set of RSI is $40 and twice the heat.

I guess its cool and im sure you will get some suckers but thats spendy. For $200 bucks i can fix both those problems too and not have to send off my ECU. My .02

B
Dec 5, 2010
Ok I see you updated your original post with more info and more options. One says wth the increase of boost pressure it will pull timing, how is the stock ecu recognizing a pressure change? Just trying to figure out what you are supplying.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Evolution Powersports in conjunction with our technology partner, Mountain Performance Inc. (MPI) are proud to announce the development of a broad range of ECU Programs for the Yamaha Nytro.

Glad to see this out in public now!
Been a LONG wait to see you guys release the first round of goodies.

B
Dec 5, 2010
Thanks for the bad rep christopher, again you never surprise me with your blinders.

I guess I'm asking for more details, a lot of information but no specifics leaves me scratching my head. I was simply stating the obvious fixes from their original post before it was updated with more info.

Some of the offerings sound cool but just curious how it works. I know the stock ecu has no map sensor and the factory sensors only read to 0 atmosphere so I'm curious to how it all works. For all I know I could be wrong and the stock map sensors do read positive atmosphere, I just want to know how this works. I know they are smart guys and jump in and explain.
Im hoping its not just another "fuel bridge" which turns out to be just another piggyback fuel system although advertised as something else.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
So you want the public to pay $300 for their water temp light to come earlier? A water temp gauge is half that with pipe adapter. Then have the already crap factory grips get warm for $100 when a set of RSI is $40 and twice the heat.

I guess its cool and im sure you will get some suckers but thats spendy. For $200 bucks i can fix both those problems too and not have to send off my ECU. My .02

The safety flash re-curves the way the ECU handles water temperature. Yes you can put a water temperature gauge on for $40.00. A temperature gauge cannot engage the factory protection strategy. The factory ECU has timing protection maps built into it that are correlated to water temperature. The temperature at which the safety maps are engaged are borderline on being able to protect the engine even without boost. With boost, there is no margin. By engaging these maps, enhancing the protection & turning on the light 20 deg F sooner, there is a far greater safety margin.

The factory hand warmers are perfectly capable of keeping your hands warm. As stated the issue is how they are programmed to operate and the power output allowed to them.

Last edited:
E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Thanks for the bad rep christopher, again you never surprise me with your blinders.

I guess I'm asking for more details, a lot of information but no specifics leaves me scratching my head. I was simply stating the obvious fixes from their original post before it was updated with more info.

Some of the offerings sound cool but just curious how it works. I know the stock ecu has no map sensor and the factory sensors only read to 0 atmosphere so I'm curious to how it all works. For all I know I could be wrong and the stock map sensors do read positive atmosphere, I just want to know how this works. I know they are smart guys and jump in and explain.
Im hoping its not just another "fuel bridge" which turns out to be just another piggyback fuel system although advertised as something else.

The safety flash is not correlated to boost, it is correlated to water temperature.

The timing reduction flash is also not correlated to boost pressure, however, the timing is curved to be much friendlier to boosted applications. The Nytro was designed to be a high performance NA engine with a very aggressive timing curve.

Last edited:
T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
What is the factory ECU using for a MAP sensor on boosted sleds? Or do you have to tie one into the ECU?

How well does this handle change in Alt. and boost? I ride both here in MN (sea level) and out west (unload at 8k ride to 10k).

The reason I have stuck with the Attiude box is although it has it has its weak points I can still adjust fuel if need be.

Also the 799 for the larger injectors and tune does that include the timing flash handle bar warmers and coolant temp reduction?

What can 550cc support boost/hp wise?

Mike

T

tjc

Jan 8, 2008
MPI/EVO 550cc Injector Flash: This software recalibration allows the replacement of the OEM 330cc injectors with 550cc injectors. The 550’s will operate the sled IDENTICALLY to the 330’s, but will have the capability to flow 40% more fuel. Property scaled larger fuel injectors are the only way to increase fuel delivery and have an OEM like performing engine – without hesitations, stumbles, etc. There is no need to control extra injectors which complicate any turbo or supercharger installation. We have also increased the idle RPM by 150. This software flash is sold only with our high quality Bosch 550cc injectors which includes the direct replacement kit for the OEM 330cc units. This flash is for Big HP Turbo or Supercharged Nytros running an auxiliary injector or fuel system. $799 with three 550cc direct replacement injectors.

My understanding is that the fuel pump is maxed out limiting the boost on a stock system not the injectors. So would this upgrade also require a new pump and regulator on the Nytro?

D
Jan 8, 2009
Alberta
If only MPI would work on the reflash to fix this issue.....

4. Sled stumbles or dies at mid throttle position changes.
Applies to: 2008-2010 Nytro
Symptoms – Sled stumbles or dies as the throttle position is increased from a mid-throttle position to a
slightly higher position (but not all the way to full throttle) -OR- The throttle position is quickly decreased
from a full or nearly full throttle position to a mid throttle position.
Cause – GEMS Module programming bug. The sled has a very slight window where this happens and was
missed during development and testing. The transition point to Red Mode from Green or Yellow modes is
too aggressive and the sled will temporally flood.
Cure – A correct program is under development. A software reprogram will be required and your
controller must be sent to MPI or taken to one or our Master Dealers. A new program has not been released
at the time of the TSB publication. Please attempt to slightly alter your throttle habits to “drive around” this
bug temporarily.

B
Dec 5, 2010
I see you have again changed the wording on your timing info, instead of a boost or vacuum sensor to a rpm measurement. This makes more sense to me now. I'm not trying to point out flaws or anything like that just trying to get all the details for others to make a educated decision.

So your changing timing curve across the board rather than adjusting it for boost pressure. Look forward to seeing how it works. Is this good enough for even sea level boosted motors as well?

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
I see you have again changed the wording on your timing info, instead of a boost or vacuum sensor to a rpm measurement. This makes more sense to me now. I'm not trying to point out flaws or anything like that just trying to get all the details for others to make a educated decision.

So your changing timing curve across the board rather than adjusting it for boost pressure. Look forward to seeing how it works. Is this good enough for even sea level boosted motors as well?

Yes, I changed the wording - it was confusing the way it was originally written. Sea level boosted motors will benefit as well.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
What is the factory ECU using for a MAP sensor on boosted sleds? Or do you have to tie one into the ECU?

How well does this handle change in Alt. and boost? I ride both here in MN (sea level) and out west (unload at 8k ride to 10k).

The reason I have stuck with the Attiude box is although it has it has its weak points I can still adjust fuel if need be.

Also the 799 for the larger injectors and tune does that include the timing flash handle bar warmers and coolant temp reduction?

What can 550cc support boost/hp wise?

Mike

No map sensor is incorporated. The change in altitude or boost would still need to be handled by your piggyback. This tune gives proper control of larger injectors. Most of the difficulty in big hp turbo/super installations is controlling the fuel that is needed beyond what the stock injectors can provide. This program matches the fuel delivery of larger injectors to the stock ones, but can deliver more fuel on the top end.

They will flow enough for 350+ depending upon fuel pressure & boost.

$799 is for the injector flash and injectors only.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
No map sensor is incorporated. The change in altitude or boost would still need to be handled by your piggyback. This tune gives proper control of larger injectors. Most of the difficulty in big hp turbo/super installations is controlling the fuel that is needed beyond what the stock injectors can provide. This program matches the fuel delivery of larger injectors to the stock ones, but can deliver more fuel on the top end.

They will flow enough for 350+ depending upon fuel pressure & boost.

$799 is for the injector flash and injectors only.

Wow this seem really expensive for the need of another "box" of some sort to control under boost.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Wow this seem really expensive for the need of another "box" of some sort to control under boost.

Whatever piggy back box you are using currently will likely work. All boosted Nytro's require some kind of boost/altitude control because there is no capability in the ECU. This will give you the fuel you will need to make the fueling work seamlessly without running a 4th injector or auxiliary fuel system.

Last edited:
S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I'm pro MPI turbo's but recently I'm having second thoughts. Doesn't MCX 270 kit have a stand alone ECU? I also thought MPI had one aswell. Why would anyone pay 800.00 for this set up? I need more info please explain? And what's the total price for everything? I have over 18K of MPI products. Is there a discounted price for loyal customers? My wallet is getting robbed from our current president and I don't think I can pay full price for something like this.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
If only MPI would work on the reflash to fix this issue.....

4. Sled stumbles or dies at mid throttle position changes.
Applies to: 2008-2010 Nytro
Symptoms – Sled stumbles or dies as the throttle position is increased from a mid-throttle position to a
slightly higher position (but not all the way to full throttle) -OR- The throttle position is quickly decreased
from a full or nearly full throttle position to a mid throttle position.
Cause – GEMS Module programming bug. The sled has a very slight window where this happens and was
missed during development and testing. The transition point to Red Mode from Green or Yellow modes is
too aggressive and the sled will temporally flood.
Cure – A correct program is under development. A software reprogram will be required and your
controller must be sent to MPI or taken to one or our Master Dealers. A new program has not been released
at the time of the TSB publication. Please attempt to slightly alter your throttle habits to “drive around” this
bug temporarily.

Where did you get this info? This is exactly what is happening to mine.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks for the bad rep christopher, again you never surprise me with your blinders. .
No blinders here.

"I guess its cool and im sure you will get some suckers...
For $200 bucks i can fix both those problems too and not have to send off my ECU. My .02"

Just amazed that the very first words out of your mouth would be to belittle them. I know how much time and effort they have put into this new project over the summer and fall. I expect it to be very well received as time goes by.

Premium Features