• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 KX450 for MtN Horse?

M
Jan 24, 2011
N/W Montana
I demo'd a MtN Horse bike last weekend... Holy smokes! I am thuroughly impressed. The kit was on a 11 Husa' 570 which was a monster and ran terrific.
I have a 06 KX450F, I am considering using if it will be reliable? I understand I would need to re-jet with likely a JD kit with an adjustable pilot, seal up the airbox/dry wrap filter, and somehow put on heated grips.

Anything else i should look into? or should i save my pennies and look for a FI bike instead of Carb?

I understand reliability is a product of care and maintenence (I am very meticulous), so basically im asking what would help the bike perform best in cool temps and at altitude?

Last edited:
R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
'06 KX 450

One of the guys we all ride with has an carb'd KX and it does well.

Starts easy (most of the time), has good power, gets OK fuel milage w/o polluting the oil and handles great.

You can upgrade the charging system on the non Fi's so headlight and heated grips are no problem.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Dismount the knobs now before storage, hardened tires suck to remove when giving a ten year old ride curb appeal. Oil the chain and put in a Ziploc bag.

Last edited:
G
Dec 9, 2009
Scotty's crib
I have an 06 kx 450f and i have been riding it for 2 full years with the mtn horse and have not one had to do anything with it when you tip it over and it floods pull the hot start and it fires 2nd or 3rd kick i also did the jd jet kit and it keeps up with my dads 2010 fi bike

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
We have not had carb icing problems with it yet. The 06 has been running 30-40 degrees cooler than the fi bike so it has a thermostat coming for it. The carbed bike ran warmer than the fi bike before the thermostat was installed on the fi bike stock vrs stock.

G
Dec 9, 2009
Scotty's crib
No carb icing issues but my air box fills full of snow and choked of my air to the motor you could either cover the intakes on the number plate with ductape or get some screening to block some of the snow from going in. the bike still runs with the box full just not as good and won't idle right also my dad read that the breath tubes were icing up but that has not happened to mine yet.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
everyone should just do this and then just ride worry free

unless you never go off the beaten trail do these mods and be happy. I dont know why everyone is still asking the same questions when some of us have given you the solutions to some very basic snowbike problems.

M
Jan 24, 2011
N/W Montana
I have an 06 kx 450f and i have been riding it for 2 full years with the mtn horse and have not one had to do anything with it when you tip it over and it floods pull the hot start and it fires 2nd or 3rd kick i also did the jd jet kit and it keeps up with my dads 2010 fi bike

How does the 4 speed do? Is the gearing pretty functional or does it seem too wide?

Premium Features