• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Problems with Formual Z

T

trentvan

Nov 25, 2008
Hello,

First I want to thank anyone in advance that is able to help me as I am getting pretty frustrated with this snowmobile. I am working on a 1996 Formula Z for a freind of mine. I thought I would be able to get this thing running as it has sparl and apprears to be getting fuel, but I am not sure if it is enough.

WE rebuilt the top end, and prior to this my freind had the carbs rebuilt by a dealership. Compession check is good. (sorry i dont remember the exacts on this). When we pour some gas in the carbs it will run for a bit and then die.

I pulled the two lines off of the fuel pump and when I pulled it over a small amount of gas does come out of both lines. I pulled the carbs and there was gas in the bowls. When I pull the plugs there is gas on them, although at one point there was not. Looking through it this morning I see there is an air bubble in the fuel line, but i have read that that should not matter as the bowls are vented.

Please help any advice will help.

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
If cylinders are not torqued correctly or you have damaged base gaskets, loss of vacuum or positive pressure will not transfer fuel thru ports properly.

T

trentvan

Nov 25, 2008
Ok, thank you. I took off fuel pump and cleaned it and am now getting fuel, may too much. When I pull the plugs out and pull it over gas literally shoots out of the plug holes.

Any idea what the external screws should be turned out? I have went from closed to fully open and the fuel still shoots out? Also I have good spark and fuel why is this dang thing not running?

Thanks again for the help.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Most of the time I will put some mixed fuel in a spray bottle and spray fuel in the carbs. You should be able to run the engine for a short time, this way. This will confirm that you have spark and that fuel is the problem.
Do you have old fuel in the carbs? Loading up engine and not firing. Are the floats adjusted right? ( carbs upside down, bowls off, floats should be level? ) Is fuel getting by the needle and seats? ( dirty and flooding engine) Air screws at 1 1/2 turns out? Do the slide needles have the E clips on them? Carb slides adjusted the same for both carbs? Adjusted to the same wide open height, by the cable adjustment.
Are there chokes on the carbs and are they set right or is one leaking?
Wet plugs all the time is flooding or bad fuel..pinch off fuel and try to run it on the spray bottle. Then fix the problem.

Last edited:
Premium Features