• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Indy 340

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
Anyone have an idea what year this is?

5Lc5N65J13K73Mc3Lac4829ba11fb1644128a.jpg
Just picked it up for my son for next year, has 2,300 hours (so I'm told), a bent trailing arm (will straiten it) and needs a little foam/seat cover

want to change the ski's out for some plastic ones....what fits?

maybe put a little more track under it since we only ride in the mountains.....whats easy?

how do they hold up?

what else besides a riser???

12 year old, maybe 80 lbs soaking wet
He rode his sisters 440 Mountain cat prowler for our few trips this year, and liked it...but this is going to be more his entry level, and perfect for his little sister in 2 years

Woodsrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Not sure of the year suggest checking the VIN#. 340 was great little engine. Had a little 250 lite that I made some changes on many things can be done to upgrade. I would start with some plastic skis think I also change spindles, hydraulic brake set up off of older Indy will bolt right on. Service clutches maybe 1" hacksaw or cobra track.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Looks like a 94. Them sleds are really solid also, I have put cat skis on tons of polaris's i can't see why it wouldn't work on that sled. Track i would go 136 with a 1 1/2 and find a cheap newer skid if possible. Great thing about the sled is if the boy gets bored of the power or grows out of it a 440 or 488 fan can be dropped in fairly easy as the motor is not much bigger. There great sleds i know i have been looking for one for years as ppl how have them never want to sell as its a great kids sled.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
That will be a great sled for an 80 lb kid.

My son has been riding a 2007 phazer. He's 55lbs. It's a bit heavy for him. LOL

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
for the price i couldnt pass it up....found on craigslist for $200

wife called and woke the guy up....guess he took it on trade for a kirby vacuum....LOL
she didnt get a year...but im thinking mid 90's just becuase of where the 340 sticker sits....

supposedly runs well....and besides the seat, and a bent steering arm nothing wrong

was hoping an M10 136" skid would fit...just need to find a 1 1/2" track...and a donor sled....LOL

any idea what year cat ski's? I dont want to do ski skins if i dont have too...then again steel ski's might be tougher

no longer have to borrow a sled for anyone in my little family...such a nice feeling!

guess i can hold of fixing that 87 340 my old man has now until the nephews get alittle bigger
(it needs a new track, seat and a used XLT hood re-painted and put on)

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I built several of those up for my son, and other friends back in the day. Tracks usa has rail extensions and tunnel extions for those very reasonable. My track of choice was the stock rmk 1.5x133.5 paddle track used from 95-98. That made things very easy to do it. The 1.25 tracks work very very well under these sleds with a small kid on them. It is absolutely amazing where a kid the size of yours will go on one once they get just a little skill under them. For skis, the rmk stock skis from the 90's through present will bolt right on them as well. Just keep your eyes open for a good deal. Most of ours ran stock late 90's rmk skis. One other thing is to twist the spring in the secondary one hole tighter giving it better backshift. This was needed with a track that has more bite. Check you plug color and jet accordingly. Most were setup too fat and a bit doggie. Once set, they are a very forgiving on jetting and doubt you will touch it again. Great find and a great sled for your boy. Will be years of fun! It should outlast all three of your kids. Those little things ran forever and just keep getting pasted from kid to kid. Then on to the next family of kids.

Last edited:

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
well, by the model number 0913033 its a 91
Serial number 1861418

so i guess i got the dreaded direct drive

will know alot more when i get home in august than i do now

J

jaysonfreerider

Jul 18, 2008
Troy, MT
Good'ol indy lites. best kid sled around. acually, i still ride mine..:D I recently took mine since the bellypan and hood were pretty much toast, jsut took the belly pan completly off and built a bumper to protect the pipe, a diamond plate skidplate, put a nice bar riser on it with a light on them, diamond plate complete wrap around clutch cover, gripper skies off a dragon, built airframe type running boards out of steel tubing, and have a seat off of an 08 dragon i still have to add, and a 136X2" track. Still need to find some hydraulic brakes to put on'er though. Its the ultimate dirt hillclimber thats for sure. :rockon: whenever i get around to getting the seat on i'll post up some pics. and eventually im going to put a VES 700 in it.......:face-icon-small-hap

L
Nov 25, 2010
W. Washington
I have one that I've owned for 15 yrs. It's been extremely reliable. Started out as ex-wifes's sled, then 2 kids. Both kids started riding it at 7yrs old. We put sidehiller 2 skis from a '03 vertical escape, but reversed them to make the ski stance wider and more stable. Then put a 121x1.5" track on it. We went to 7 tooth drivers to give more clearance in tunnel. This sled goes anywhere with a lightweight kid on it. A 136" track would work great, and would probably be easier to find, but you would need tunnel and rail extensions.

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
Well, I have an email into tracks USA to see what a 1.5"x15x136 ripsaw track, rail extensions and a tunnel extension will cost.....I'm betting the wife will freak out...LOL

But they have a 1.25"x15x121 on for sale at $389, so i might just do that...he's just a light bugger, and wont be on the sled past next year, then it's his little sisters

need to re-track the duaghters 91 prowler mountian cat too, so it'll be getting something with lugs too....since im tired of her .91" trail track getting stuck everywhere....she'll still get stuck, just less often..LOL

sledding has cost me a ton this year, and I only got to go out a handful of times!

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Well, I have an email into tracks USA to see what a 1.5"x15x136 ripsaw track, rail extensions and a tunnel extension will cost.....I'm betting the wife will freak out...LOL

But they have a 1.25"x15x121 on for sale at $389, so i might just do that...he's just a light bugger, and wont be on the sled past next year, then it's his little sisters

need to re-track the duaghters 91 prowler mountian cat too, so it'll be getting something with lugs too....since im tired of her .91" trail track getting stuck everywhere....she'll still get stuck, just less often..LOL

sledding has cost me a ton this year, and I only got to go out a handful of times!

If you have any sled slavage yards around, check for used 133.5" tracks. They cant hardly give them away. You should be able to pick one up for $100 or less. And tracks usa does have the extensions to make that change as that was the norm back in the day.

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
got to diggin thru specs, and an email from tracks usa confirmed, this sled has the 116"

they dont have extensions for it......so i guess im looking for a used skid on the cheap too....LOL....133.5 or 136...I dont care

and i was right, the wife freaked that i wanna put a grand into a $200 kids sled
but she'll let me do it if i can do it cheap

anyone know of a wrecked early 90's chassis laying around for cheap?
I'll hafta get new drivers too.....

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
I think you should just put plastic skis on the sled and run it as is. Your wife is right. If money and time are no problem, put a chaincase on it from a newer or GT version (133.5" track and 2-up seat) and reconstruct the drive train. Trying to deal with the direct drive while long tracking the sled is a black hole.
550iq

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
generaly I agree, but this track is 22 years old, with about 4k miles on it (if you beleive the odometer)
I'm 7,000 miles away right now, so i cant see what shape it is in personally, but the wife says it looks like old, dry rotted tires

Here's some pics.....I'm not set one way or the other at this point (although looking for parts keeps me occuipied at work)

DSC01880.jpg

DSC01881.jpg

DSC01882.jpg

let me know what you guys think?

Might have a line on a 121 out of a IQ for a decent price....still hunting around to see what i can find a decent 121 track for an easy way...LOL....like i said, it keeps me busy at work

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
We built up a couple on Indy Starlites a few years ago. Put plastic skis and hydraulic brakes on them and stretched one out to 133.5 and the other to 144. Great spring riding sleds, but after all, just a 250 single. We were lucky as the sleds had chain cases and 2.52 pitch tracks. I think you are right on with a 121 track and hopefully some drivers off a chaincased Lite (I think the direct drives had a different track pitch). Concerning the skis, we had to use a later model Indy spindle in order to fit the Polaris plastic ski of the period. Have fun.

By the way, I never saw an every-other-track-rod track before, good reson to upgrade.
550iq

J

jaysonfreerider

Jul 18, 2008
Troy, MT
We built up a couple on Indy Starlites a few years ago. Put plastic skis and hydraulic brakes on them and stretched one out to 133.5 and the other to 144. Great spring riding sleds, but after all, just a 250 single. We were lucky as the sleds had chain cases and 2.52 pitch tracks. I think you are right on with a 121 track and hopefully some drivers off a chaincased Lite (I think the direct drives had a different track pitch). Concerning the skis, we had to use a later model Indy spindle in order to fit the Polaris plastic ski of the period. Have fun.

By the way, I never saw an every-other-track-rod track before, good reson to upgrade.
550iq

what sled did you get the hydraulic breaks off of???

T
Dec 25, 2007
I had one of the direct drive models growing up. That thing had 7000miles on the original track when she died. Would have gone longer but the guy we sold it to weighed ~280 by the time he was done with it. It, by the way, is a different pitch and a 116. Strange I know. Running board traction and support will also be big deal. Those things are weak.

otherwise for cheap (that this looks pretty rough) that this is a great platform to start with!

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
what sled did you get the hydraulic breaks off of???

Speaking only of Lites with chaincases: We used Polaris brake systems from the early 90's on one and the brakes from a 97 era Indy on the other. The hydraulic caliper mount has the same bolt pattern as the mechanical caliper mount atop the chaincase. Not sure if this is feasible on the direct drives.
550iq

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
lol...drivers are gonna be another headache all together

looking at ebay, there is a drive shaft with drivers on it, and it appears these direct drives are 6 tooth, 2" pitch

im sure i could find a set of replacements, which im gonna need if i got to any track other than this one

still in the thinking about it mode...LOL....fricken new seat cover is gonna cost almost as much as i paid for the entire sled!

I'm really on the fence....and the wife doesnt want to get all into modding this little thing after she figured how much went into my 900 last year...so theres that fight

it'll probaly just end up a trail cruiser and hope the track doesnt break, and if i really want my old man has an 89 340 that i can mod out for alittle cheaper (as it has real drivers, and a chaincase)

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
I have a track out of a 98 super sport i think will work and dennis kirk has seat covers for around 99.00 to 110.00....i will look at that track if you are interested pm me your # and we can figure it out.

Premium Features