• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 summit 500 no start

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Started sled, idled for about 5 minutes. Cleaned carbs. put back together, started just fine. let it idle for about 10 minutes. Loaded in the trailer. Drove for 60 minutes. Drag out of trailer. No start. Pulled till I couldn't pull anymore. Tried again this morning, nothing. Severely flooded?

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Plugs are in good shape but they were wet. I cleaned them up and heated them and tried again, nothing. Yes it is getting some spark. It is lq cool

B
Nov 17, 2010
I have the same sled and have the same problem. They seem to flood really easy. One thing I do sometimes to get it started is start out with a good dry set of plugs, hold the throttle wide open, and just keep pulling the starter rope (about 10 times consecutively) and it seems to eventually start.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Thanks. I didn't give it a try yesterday, I plan to go out and give it a pull today. Just got it so I guess I'll have to get a feel for it.

S
Jan 17, 2010
are chokes adjusted right? do either machines have HAC?

I have 2001 500f and just got done Adjusting carbs , jetting, needles,pilot,chokes,syncing carbs, idle mix, and taking off the hac.. For once, it is running very nice and doesn't idle like crap.Rode it for about 2 hours today.

B
Nov 17, 2010
Mine does not have a choke, it has the primer, but I try not to use it because it makes the flooding problem even worse. I do have HAC and figured out at the end of last year that it was bad when it wouldn't run very good at higher altitudes (too much gas and no higher end RPMs). I found another HAC from a guy and put it on. Now it runs great, but it still floods very easy and is tricky to get started again. I have cleaned the carbs, put in new needle & seats, readjusted, and all of that too.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Yeah, the carbs are clean. They were just done the other day. It was running fine prior to the clean. It started up fine after the clean. Adjustment screws were put back to the same as they were prior to removal. HAC? If that is for altitude compensation, Yes it does have that. I think I flooded the thing pretty bad, I didn't realize how sensitive the priming is. I pumped many times several different times.

S
Jan 17, 2010
Bdh sounds maybe like your idle mix screw is off and or Hac is still alittle messed up.

line8 did your Hac vac lines get messed up in a different order or get a crack during cleaning and install? just a idea.... I'll shut up from here on(lol)

(Here's a link to my mess that i just figured out, don't know if might help?) http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=484644

(you could just vent lines, plug large vent line and remove brass plug and see if problem still occurs?)

Last edited:

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Bdh sounds maybe like your idle mix screw is off and or Hac is still alittle messed up.

line8 did your Hac vac lines get messed up in a different order or get a crack during cleaning and install? just a idea.... I'll shut up from here on(lol)

(Here's a link to my mess that i just figured out, don't know if might help?) http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=484644

(you could just vent lines, plug large vent line and remove brass plug and see if problem still occurs?)

No need to shut up from here on.....info is very helpful. Yesterday, I finally was able to start it. I think it was just flooded bad. I ended up taking the HAC off and looking at the lines and feeling the carbs to see if they are opening. I couldn't find anything obvious. I finally was able to get a cough out of it after about 15 pulls, no primer. Then I pulled another 15 or so times with some throttle and I was consistently getting a bit of turn over. So, I gave it full throttle and pulled about 5 times. It started, smoked like crazy for about 2 minutes then it cleaned up. I let it idle for about 10 minutes, shut it down. I Went back out about an hour later and it fired first pull. I then went in the house and dealt with my carbon monoxide poisoning.

Thanks for all of the info and thoughts. HOpefully it's going to be easier from here. I am going to go easy on the primer.

B
Apr 6, 2010
primer

two pumps on the primer at 30 below F is enough...if it hits and quits try it a couple more pulls - then give her one more primer pump....

If decent weather (above -20F) and my sleds have been started within 2 days - one pump to try first...

If you flood it out bad - it has to sit for quite a while with the plugs off - and a lighter flame to the jug every now and again doesn't hurt (though not recommended to others as it is a FIRE hazard). If you do flood it bad - keep the throttle down after you pull the plugs and pull it over about a hundred times, dry the plugs up good with a lighter - and start with out using the primer.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Very good info, thanks. I think I have it down. Originally I am pretty sure I flooded the !@#$ out of it. What I have found to work is: 1 pull, if no start, give it 1 prime then pull. It has fired on the second pull after the prime almost every time. I've tried with 2 primes and it almost flooded again. I immediately gave it full throttle and pulled and it baaaarely started but it did. I may have found the process for this one. I am spoiled with the efi, best my son learns the "right" way first.

B
Apr 6, 2010
if it is cold

if it is cold - like -20 to -35F. I pull my 670 over real slow at first withOUT touching the throttle or the primer. Pull it over about 10-15 times to get the cylinder/rings a little warmed up.

Then after it starts to pull easier, I give her 1 squirt of primer (2 if the first squirt doesn't feel like it was full of gas). If it coughs I pull a couple more times without any primer or thumb. Then I give her 2 squirts (I like it when she squirts!) and it usually fires right up. As it starts to idle down to 1k rpm I give it another slow primer squirt and then it usually runs fine.

if it is warm out (-10F+) then I just pull a couple times and give her 2 squirts and let it warm up good before taking it off the trailer.

On the wife's 500GT with electric start - i pull the primer out (but wait to push it in) and then start it turning over with the key - 1 sec after it starts to turn over I push the primer in....usually good to go after that...

I really like the electric start after pulling over the 670.

B
Apr 6, 2010
BTW

BTW - if you flood these things they are a beeatch. Pull the plugs, shut the fuel off, hold the throttle open and have a friend pull the thing over till they can't any more. Don't be bashful about pullin the plugs out.

Premium Features