• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to prime?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Ok so we replaced all the fuel lines, rebuilt fuel pump, and tore carbs down for cleaning. After putting everything back together we can't seem to get fuel sucking out of the tank???? I tried blowing on on the outlet hose to compress air, no luck. Sled ran fine before we did all this so I'm kind of lost. Pick up hose was replaced in tank and is definately on the bottom of tank, all hoses are secure and clamped. Any ideas? I thought next we could fill the carb bowls and see if we could get it primed that way.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Pull a spark plug and pour some gas in the cylinder, replace the plug and start it. Might have to do that a few times to pull the fuel from the tank and get it to keep running. Make sure the pulse line is hooked up to the crankcase. If it won't pump you may have a gasket/diaphram in wrong in the fuel pump?

2DaMax

Jan 27, 2008
^^^^That works well.
I have been pulling the carb lines off at the pump and using a small funnel to fill the bowls it works also. I like this way because on my tripple I was pulling the plugs 3 or 4 times before it would start sucking good. Depends on how easy your pump is to get to also.

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
It also wouldn't hurt to double check and make sure you have all the lines correct on the fuel pump, the vacuum line is key, without it you won't have any fuel.

Premium Features