• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to Doo...need some advice

hey guys after my nightmare with polaris, i sold the rig and bought a spankin new 2011 Freeride. I dont know much about the Doo sleds. What are some things that i need to do or watch for....it will be ridden both at altitude and back here in iowa. How does the clutching work as far as getting it ready for the MTNs? Im pretty stoked about getting it and riding it out west....heading out in a few weeks. Thanks in advance for any input!

S

Skidoo83

Feb 17, 2009
WA
About what Elevation will you be riding. If you are going to be riding high Elvation
6000+ You will want to change pin weight. Adding more weight results in lower RPM, less weight will result in higher RPM. You want to try and keep the clickers on #3

K

kodpkd

Nov 28, 2007
Loveland, CO
setup

On your way to the rocky mountains... Stop in at Felkers in Loveland CO. He has the best shop for your setup.. All the way from a stock setup to full mod.. If you want your sled to work in the steep and deep.... he is the best. Oh,,, if you want to go to the E tech.... He has a wild turbo setup.

S

Skidoo83

Feb 17, 2009
WA
The clutch has clickers, there are 3 of them. They have a bolt head with a line pointing to the number they are on. They adjust the RPM in increments of 200 RPM #1 being the lowest and #6 being the highest. Loosen up the nut DO NOT take the bolt out. There are washers in there and if you lose one you half to take the clutch off and fix it. You will want your sled to stay at 8100-8200 RPM when climbing. For example if your climbing and the RPM are at 7800 and your clickers are on #3 you will want to move the clickers to #5 so you will gain 400 RPMs. Keep an eye on RPM when ridding down the trail the motor will over rev.
Hope this will help!!

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
JUst remember! This is a RIDER FORWARD sled!! and what wored on the polaris and others doesn't necessarly work on the xp style and is totally different to set up!!! a good place to get a feel for it is on Dootalk.com it will help you out alot in understanding this amchine!! I hope you like yours as well as i like mine!

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
If you ride the Freeride like a Sunday driver, you probably won't like it. The harder you ride an XP, the more fun they are. Remember, the throttle is your friend.

J

jester18

Jan 26, 2010
Cheyenne WY
Clutches

Here is some advice coming from a fellow "flatlander" (MN). The ski-doo clutches are very adjustable. 4 different things to look at depending on elevation, the ramps, the pins, the spring and the clickers. There is an awesome diagram that show what is needed at the different elevations. Before you leave you will probably have to change ramps, pins, and the spring. You can adjust the clickers up or down from the recommend once you are there. The initial changes are pretty easy but do yourself a favor and have the dealer press the roll pins in the ramp for you. PM me with any questions.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
The clutch has clickers, there are 3 of them. They have a bolt head with a line pointing to the number they are on. They adjust the RPM in increments of 200 RPM #1 being the lowest and #6 being the highest. Loosen up the nut DO NOT take the bolt out. There are washers in there and if you lose one you half to take the clutch off and fix it. You will want your sled to stay at 8100-8200 RPM when climbing. For example if your climbing and the RPM are at 7800 and your clickers are on #3 you will want to move the clickers to #5 so you will gain 400 RPMs. Keep an eye on RPM when ridding down the trail the motor will over rev.
Hope this will help!!

This is pretty much right on except for the RPM. 8100-8200 is for the old carb motors. On a etec you don't want to be above 8000 RPM. that is the MAX. It will hit the rev limiter and it's power falls off quickly from what i am told. If you are seeing highter than that just change your clickers.

S

Skidoo83

Feb 17, 2009
WA
This is pretty much right on except for the RPM. 8100-8200 is for the old carb motors. On a etec you don't want to be above 8000 RPM. that is the MAX. It will hit the rev limiter and it's power falls off quickly from what i am told. If you are seeing highter than that just change your clickers.

Sorry i forgot i was an E-tec

Premium Features