• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 rmk 700 overheating

C
Feb 8, 2010
I just bought a 98 rmk 700 with 825 miles and this thing is clean got it home rode about 15 min and it over heated I have checked the water pump belt, tried to bleed the system by parking front end up on a snow bank to make sure bleeder srew is the highest point also tried it by making the resivoir the highest point running with the cap off i have replaced the cap the heat exchangers are warm so it seems to be circulating properly i hooked a coolant system pressure tester up to the over flow hose and pressurized the system with cap in the all the closed position it will only hold 4-5 psi with it on the first notch that you have get over it will hold 11-13 psi (the cap was a 13 psi cap) so if figured the tank was bad and went for a spin with the cap in the spot where it seemed to be good an about 20 min into playing around temp light is on again :mad2: so i stopped opened the hood and at least it is not coming out of the over flow so i closed the hood and the temp light is off now which seems much better than before so my question is did hey have issuses with the tanks?

seems unlikley to me

any suggestion are welcome and appreciated i am starting to get frustrated

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
The tank might be bad. Its actually a fairly common problem for the plastic threads to strip out and the tank not to hold the correct pressure to the system. I know certain years even had recalls on this. Cant remember if this was one of the years that did though. Its been a few years since I sold mine.

Its also a fairly common issue with the 98 RMK's to run hot on hardpack or certain kinds of snow. The cooling system isnt really the best. I had to add a larger rear U cooler to mine in order to flat land ride it.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Unless you were running in a fair amount of loose snow chances are that you weren't throwing enough snow on the coolers in the tunnel. Basically the coolers are too far forward so when the track comes around the rear idler wheels the snow goes straight up but not onto the coolers. If you run on hardpack a lot you need to add a cooler as X2 said.

C
Feb 8, 2010
should have posted this a while ago but i got it fixed the nut that holds the water pump impeller on never got tightened at the factory and it stripped out the impeller on the pump shaft it would circulate at idle but as soon as you give it any rpm it would not turn the impeller i am guessing that is why this machine only has 800 miles on it

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
should have posted this a while ago but i got it fixed the nut that holds the water pump impeller on never got tightened at the factory and it stripped out the impeller on the pump shaft it would circulate at idle but as soon as you give it any rpm it would not turn the impeller i am guessing that is why this machine only has 800 miles on it

Its always crazy to find wierd little problems like that. Oh well at least you figured it out and now have a nice low mile sled to ride.

Premium Features