• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Loss of rpms

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
S
Nov 10, 2008
08 XP 800 Strait Line can Strait line y - pipe Boysen Rage cage Rooster built clutching.. Ran top of blewett today sled ran great for most of the ride. Pulling a climb about to the top intsantly dropped 1000 rpms. I run with my clickers on 4 and normally rips right to the rev limiter on the groom trails and down towards the snow park runs almost flawlesly at 8200 when climbing steep and deep. Came back down to the groomed trail and still couldnt pull more than 7200. Set my clickers to 6 and it ran up to about 7800 until i was almost back to the truck then could get 8100 out of it. Noticed a bog also. Got back down change my clickers back to 4 ran rpms to 8000 until my clutch shifted out then instantly dropped back to 7500rpm. Any suggestions?
Also noticed a vibration belt is fine. Pulling clutch tomorrow to check spring and rolers which was all replaced 2 rides ago.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Check for grease behind the primary (indicator of crank problem), check crank runout and compression to eliminate any major issues.
Pull the DPM solenoid and lube with WD-40.....bulletin from Doo on this, sticks and makes them run rich/drop RPM.
Make sure all wear parts in clutches are perfect, spring cap in '08's is known for excessive clearance.

all4doo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2010
NW Montana
Check the crank runout by pulling the primary and putting a dial indicator on the shaft. turn the shaft by hand and see how much the readout on the dial indicator varies. don't remember off the top of my head what the acceptable runout is, but do a quick search on xp crank runout and it should be pretty easy to find the tolerance specs. Basically what your checking is to see if the crank shaft is not wobbling....an indication of possibly a bad crank bearing, which is a known issue on some of the 08's.

W

wowgogs

Sep 9, 2009
I think I might be having the same problem. I have an 08 and last ride I was noticing similar things with the RPM and it would start to bog out climbing.
Is there a how to on the DPM. I have read about that but not sure what or where it is. I am sure I can do it if I have a little guidance.
I only have 300 miles as well. That is scary. It is going in this week for a the recalls to get done so I will have them look at the clutch well it is apart.

S
Nov 10, 2008
RPM loss

wowgog i pm'd you with some info I got from winterbrew. That guy seems to know his S---. Hopefully its not the crank. My 08 has just under 1000 miles on it and has been flawless from the start.

cabinman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Layton
mine was starting to do the same thing yesterday, limped it back to the truck. got the primary pulled a few min. ago and all 3 spring cup bolts were sheared...

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
I think I might be having the same problem. I have an 08 and last ride I was noticing similar things with the RPM and it would start to bog out climbing.
Is there a how to on the DPM. I have read about that but not sure what or where it is. I am sure I can do it if I have a little guidance.
I only have 300 miles as well. That is scary. It is going in this week for a the recalls to get done so I will have them look at the clutch well it is apart.

I would like to know also,

S
Nov 10, 2008
Dpm

Dial indicator....or a dealer can check it. If a compression check is good, and there is no grease sprayed out behind the clutch...then the crank is probably fine.
DPM solenoid...remove the airbox (it just slides out, no screws to mess with) and there is a plastic manifold clipped to the carbs.....the metal solenoid on this manifold with wires going to it is the DPM solenoid. I small screw and it comes out. Be careful, there are 2 O-rings on it that are easy to lose! Spray the solenoid and into the manifld with a little WD-40.[/QUOTE]

S
Nov 10, 2008
RPM Loss

Just pulled primary and WOW!!!!! Entire end of spring cup completely sheered out, rollers shot, weight pins marked up, bushing screwed. Basically need new guts for clutch. What may cause soething like this? any ideas? Looks like i am gonna need some parts.

W

wowgogs

Sep 9, 2009
attached is a pic. is that unit the DPM with all the hoses attached?

spray into the intake manifold?
Is it bad that there was oil in the air box? kinda dirty in there. so there are no air filters in these puppies right? I got it 2nd hand so I assume they don't have them

dpm.jpg

S
Nov 10, 2008
Dpm

The little silver thing with the 2 wires is the dpm. Unplug it remove small screw comes right out. watch for the 2 small O rings on the end. I did the check with a 9 volt battery. Take two wires and put in the plug in holes that go to the unit and touch them to the 9 volt. it should click and the small post inside should move. Black wire from the plug in I put to the negative side of the 9volt and the other to the posotive. Dont know if that was right but mine clicked and moved doing it that way. sprayed with WD40 and put back.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Just pulled primary and WOW!!!!! Entire end of spring cup completely sheered out, rollers shot, weight pins marked up, bushing screwed. Basically need new guts for clutch. What may cause soething like this? any ideas? Looks like i am gonna need some parts.

The spring cap bushing in '07-'08 TRA 7's had too much clearance. Would be "OK" for awhile but this also accelerates wear on everything else in the clutch. When EVERYTHING is good, they will last alot longer. Good idea to just change this in the '08's BEFORE everything else is junk.

R

River Ratt

Oct 27, 2008
Markerville AB
Wake up Ski Doo

When is Ski-Doo going to realize the TRA is not a mountain sled clutch ? I have a few friends with 08 and 09 EP's with low miles that also had to totally rebuild there primary's this season, two sleds only had around 300 miles also. This is crap, and this is the very reason I won't buy an XP. Ski Doo needs to clue in, because alot of guys up north here are switching to Cat for there next new sleds. Just my 2 cents.

cabinman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Layton
How the WHAT?! :eek:

the consensus was that i over torqued the bolts causing stress/cracks, i got bout ten rides in before it finally went. plus i never used any loctite and torque is round 14-18 ft lbs. which i must of went way over...

W

wowgogs

Sep 9, 2009
Is it bad that there was oil in the air box? kinda dirty in there. so there are no air filters in these puppies right? I got it 2nd hand so I assume they don't have them

R
Dec 18, 2008
sheridan wyoming
i have an 08 xp took primary apart and saw the orings were pretty much gone -have about 1300 miles on it. first time apart. replaced them and all were wore out after two days ride? lined everything up the way it came apart??? why they wear out. the black buttons?? not sure what they called are pretty wore too. will dealer replace this as warranty?

Premium Features