• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sloppy steering

R
Dec 12, 2007
Orting, WA
I have a 98 summit X. The steering is sloppy. I can tell the ski bushings need to be replaced and there seems to be alot of play in the steering nuckle under the pipes where the steering rods leave and go out to the spindles. I dont know what the part is called. There is a 19mm nut on top of it and it is tight, the part is just sloppy. Where is the best place to get these parts and what else should I check. Thanks

E
Dec 8, 2008
Chelan area
Dealer will have most of our 670 needs. Thats where i get all my stuff, if not, try asking around at that one place, uhhhh, oh ya, Snowest! Mabey the swapmeet section where someones parting a sled out. Ebay never hurts, last i checked there was a whole 670X on there, well, it was torn apart but you should be able to find it. Try the ski-doo site, they have a whole parts list for our sleds, and part #'s here- http://www.ski-doo.com/en-US/Owner.Center/Parts.htm On the bottum of the page it says "visit the site now", click that and go from there.

S
Dec 11, 2008
sloppy steering

there is also a clamp on the bottom of the main steering shaft down behind the motor that has a two piece plastic bushing in it, looks like a conduit clamp, the bolts may have come loose and one of the bushings may have fallen out, happened to my summit x, I had to pull the motor to fix it, you can see the clamp if you remove the can from the pipe. If this is whats wrong I suggest using blue locktite on the bolts.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Always check all of the spherical rod-ends for tightness. Both the "ball" end and the stud end. The part in front of the motor, your "steering knuckle" I have also heard called a "bellcrank", or steering "frog". Might check the nylon bushing it rides on. On some sleds, this bellcrank can slide up or down on its post when you turn from side-to-side, causing sloppiness. You can either shim under it, or place shims under the nut and washer at the top, limiting movement. This will help alot. If you have problems with the ski spindle bushings, you can change to ZX-style spindles. They are roughly a 1/2" taller, and you will have to make spacers to compensate. The ZX spindles have a better bushing design, and a much better ski-bumper block on the bottom. I actually installed mine so that I could run the early REV-style "precision skis", 'cause they would not work with the S-chassis ski-bumper blocks. It is rare, but the steering column shaft bushings could be worn or loose as well, as stated above.

repairboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2007
Lincoln,NE
Don't remove engine to go after steering shaft bushings. Can be serviced with out engine removal. Replaced many a bent steering shaft without taking engine out.

G

gasholic

Dec 15, 2007
Idaho
bellcrank bushings

This summer while I had the engine out, I checked the bushungs at the bottom of the steering post. I sanded them on a piece of 100 grit sandpaper where they split. Sand to fit. It took a lot of loosenes out.

I installed new bushings in the bellcrank also. There is 2 metal bushings which are easy to knock out and (I used a vice and a block of hardwood) to press them in. Also mine did not have a grease zerk, so I drilled and taped while I was at it. should last a lot longer with grease.

gas

R
Dec 12, 2007
Orting, WA
what i found

Well, I replaced the ski bushings and the ski cushions first this morning, That took some of the slop out (the ski bushings). Then i pulled off the pipes and replaced the bellcrank bushings. That was the ticket!! Replacing those 2 bushings took out the slop in the steering. Im releaved. Now I got to have the driver shaft oil seals that go into the chain chase replaced and that sled is good to go. Thanks for the input!!

Premium Features