• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bandit's frankensled

OK,Those of you that frequent Dootalk will remember my sled, those who don't, I built a complete custom mountina sled a few years ago. loosly based on S chassis, but including alot of REV and even some XP parts.
I ride hard, Maybe not Nitro Circus or Sledneck's hard, but hard none the less. I've had my share of breakdowns with her. And a few misshaps. Last ride of last season, I was excessively hard and broke the right trailing arm, left trailing arm pivot, left running board, just to name a few....
You can read up on V1 build here if you want.
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=157685&hl=frankensled

So, without further adieu, here's Frankensled V2.0

Heres what I started with, A 380 fan chassis, from A to Z sled parts in Pritchard BC.
1020091503.jpg

I'm going to build a boondocker style tunnel Reminiscent of Van Amburg's tunnels.

Cutting off the stock running boards
1022091613a.jpg

Back half trimmed, ready for the extention.
1022091726.jpg

Main thing that happened to Frankensled V1 was I used ZX shocks on the front. They are 17" long. In order to make them fit, I cut off the stock mounts, and made a "saddle" that cradles the bellypan from underneath. One would think that this would be fine, a steel strap from upper shock to upper shock, going around the underneath. Well, in reality, this was BAD.
Turns out, the stock upper shock mounts put the uprights in a tension position. Cradling from underneath puts them in a compression position and both sides buckled. The upper bracing bent back, quite alot.
So, without massive refab, welling and bracing. and thusly, adding alot more weight, I can't use the ZX shocks. So, they are for sale biggrin.gif

Heres a pic of V1.0 and the buckling damage. I did not hit anyting in the front, Looks like its pushed back, but its acctually folded up and back, from them being under compression loads, not the tension which they need.
1022091614a.jpg

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Welcome over Dan

For those Snowester`s who haven`t been over to the Dootalk side, Bandit here built an awesome S Chassis sled, one which inspired me to the build on my sled , Of course mine at the time wasn`t that radical of build but It lead me to my Rev Seat conversion.

Can`t wait to see the tunnel and sled when done, This will be a good build to keep track of along with many other cool mod sled builds new and old on this site.

Fabricate on. Wildcard28

Well, no pics, it's late. BUT, V1 has been stripped, parts stored on shelves. V2.0 is awaiting the CNC plasma cut aluminum. I have done the chaincase, trailing arms, and belly pan brackets white. They look AWESOME. took out V1 chaincase, looking at iot. Hmm wait, V2,0 chaincase looks like... AWW CRAP!!!!! the driveshaft is SMALLER and takes smaller bearing.. angry.gif Good thing I got a CNC Milling machine. My lathe is too small a swing to fit it on there. I have a boaring head, but it's a little one, and doesn't go large enough. So, I'll have to make a CNC prog to make the larger bearing/seal pockets. That and snap ring groove's. I WANT the hyd brakes for sure!!!!!

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
did you get my e-mail on the shocks?

Do you do you own plasma cutting? I have a tunnel extension idea for my sled myself not as detailed as yours but would like to get it plasma cut out or something?

Wildcard28

did you get my e-mail on the shocks?

Do you do you own plasma cutting? I have a tunnel extension idea for my sled myself not as detailed as yours but would like to get it plasma cut out or something?

Wildcard28

YES, got your email was meaning to respond. spent this weeks budget on a A/C roller secondary as bud is getting his sled going this winter and wants his back... But consider them sold Darren :D Just need to wait for a powdercoat job or my Employment insurance cheque LOL...

And the Plasma, it's one of my steady customers that does my cutting. I give him awesome powder deals, and we do stuff in trade. what you need, PM or email, I can see what I can do :D dan@banditpowdercoat.com

His table is 4x8 so it has to fit those dimensions flat.

Premium Features