• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

01 Summit 700 fall upgrade list

F

FNG

Nov 19, 2008
Looking for some input here gang so I'm throwing this out to the collective.

Sled is an 01 Summit 700, 2 x 15 x 144 track, no engine mods but an after market can (SS ?) and reed spacers. I added MaddStadd pivot and risers (7 inches) last year.

I’m slapping some used Simmons Gen 1 skis on there (Thanks KAWGRN ) and I ride at around 5000-8000 ft with a 50/50 mix of trail and boon docking, I weigh in at around 210 lbs pack on and ready to ride. I am hoping for more boon docking and general Mtn riding this year and ride in central Oregon.

Still on the to-do list:

Pull the sway bars.

Mount the Simmons.

Possibly punching the track to lighten the track and improve snow elimination.

Clutching: I have cleaned the primary and am waiting on some buttons to arrive to reassemble, I have a new purple/yellow stock spring to go in there as that’s what came out of it…the new one is ½ in longer than the very tired original spring from 01 that I pulled out btw. I have also cleaned the secondary and replaced its spring (Beige) and slider(s), polished the ramps on the helix (47 deg) and am ready to slap it back on but I’m considering upgrading to a TEAM secondary…good idea? Is the TEAM really going to be that much better? (either finding a TSS 98 or 04, what helix and springs btw?).

Gearing is 21/43 and I’m thinking of going 20/43 to improve low and mid speed throttle control and ability to feather power in mid ranges as last year my power delivery was kind of off or haulin butt and pullin hard.

I am also looking at snow eliminators and would love a better (taller) seat but the piggy bank just aint that full.

So, TEAM secondary, is it a good idea? or just hang with the cleaned up stocker and put the money into other improvements (like snow elliminators, Mtn bars, Lefty throttle, ect...

Thanks for the ideas :):beer;

Last edited:

ArcticDoo2

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2007
Eastern SD
I wouldn't punch out the stock track. I would get a 16" wide powdermax track. I did that on my 01 700 and it improves your flotation a TON and that track is punched already so you don't have to worry about messing that up. Found mine for $225. With that new track on it, it'll go WAY more places than it ever would before. Just my opinion

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Just a couple of ideas for ya, not sayn there the best way to go but cheaper. I used a hole saw and put 2 rows of 1 1/4 inch holes in my running boards, also on your seat, take it into an appostery shop and add 3-4 inches of form to the top of the seat. I think you'll get more bang for your buck with a clutch kit for your primary rather then a different secondary. Hope this helps

F

FNG

Nov 19, 2008
Arctic Doo, where did ya get the Powdermax for that price? and did you have any rub issues with the side on the tunnel? just checked mine and there's about 3/4" on each side as it sits on the trailer.

Ripnit, I was thinking of punching my track just as you describe, are there any do's and (absolutely dont's) to doing this?

Thanks

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I was talking about the running boards. My understanding is its a no no using a holesaw to port a track (may pull threads in the track) but I know its been done before.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Arctic Doo, where did ya get the Powdermax for that price? and did you have any rub issues with the side on the tunnel? just checked mine and there's about 3/4" on each side as it sits on the trailer.

Ripnit, I was thinking of punching my track just as you describe, are there any do's and (absolutely dont's) to doing this?

Thanks

I have a lot of experience with that sled..

You are doing some great mods..

If I may make a few suggestions, based on my experience?

1) DO not put a bigger than 2" track on there without rolling the chaincase, Smaller drivers and deep lug tracks cause issues in terms of power delivery..

2) The 16' wide track works well.. the 2003 Summit track is a great choice and can be found cheap..

3)The Stock secondary is one of the worst clutches ever made.. There is no consistency and power transfer suffers. Either change jack shaft to install a CAT Bear Cat clutch or run the 2002 and new RER Ski Doo secondary. Either will completely transform that sled.

4)The stock skis cause severe handling problems.. Simmons Gen 1 work very well.

5) Keep gearing at 20/43

6)HO reeds work well also, as do VForce or Boyesen petals on stock cages

7)Motor loves engine work. Many options out there.

More to come later as I think of them

Kelsey

Premium Features