• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Compare SLEDHEAD vs ibackshift clutch kit

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
SO what do you think?

ibackshift has lots of documentation on the website. Go with Dynamo Joe?

Sled Head Racing has a kit people tell me they are very happy. Go with Big John?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The best thing you can do is try a similar sled with both setups and see what feels the best to YOU and how you ride. Call and talk with both, they are knowledgeable and will stand behind what they offer.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
There now is three of us running I-Backshift kits in Colorado at 9-12,000 feet and we love it. Have no experience with the other. Huge difference over stock clutching. Peter

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
SO what do you think?

ibackshift has lots of documentation on the website. Go with Dynamo Joe?

Sled Head Racing has a kit people tell me they are very happy. Go with Big John?

I really dont think you can go wrong with either. I know a guy that has shr in his sled and really likes it I havnt ridden it so no opinion. I do know that as awesome as the g4 is the stock clutching sucks azz. So i got Joeys kit and wholly shat what a transformation completely different sled hands down the best clutched sled i have ever ridden and i have had a kit in every sled i have had just wish i had tried his sooner. Read his description of his kits on his web site. It is exactly how he describes it. Simply amazing.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I've got Joey's kit also and mostly ride 8-9K elevation. His kit combined with 19/53 gearing is as close to a perfect set-up on my 175" as I have ever tried for off-trail performance, and I've been riding since 1969 and have tried a whole lot of different clutch kits over the years.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I have 2 2018 850 sleds and started this debate. One sled for myself and son. Son was injured just before the sledding season and just now in February is at end of therapy and recovered enough to ride. Kind of hard for him time wise being in 3 after school activities.

I only installed one kit on one sled. Initially I went on recommendations from riders I know and called Big John at sled head racing a few times. Never received a call back from SHR. Did get ahold of SHR after I bought a kit from ibackshift.com

Searched again and saw a plethora of information on ibackshift.com website and was thinking of just going with some gears. HAs an interactive online gear calculator. Then I thought engaging the clutch over 1000 RPM below factory combined with lower gears will really help riding in technical areas. With increased throttle control by way of a wider clutch engaged power range. 2x00 to 8000 vs 3x00 to 8000.

Prior to this I sent out all my clutch work to INDYDAN. Was getting expensive sending clutches out to maintenance and repair mostly couldn't resisted all the features of the GEN4.

So I can only compare my setup to Polaris. Ride out west from 7000 to 1000 feet on a 154 with 3" track. Here id=s the kit recommended with 965 high elevation ramps. This kit can be used from sea level to 13000 feet. The end result ibackshift.com clutching is smooth from start to finish. The reduced gearing and wider engaged power band allows increased precision throttle control. BAckshifting is very smooth.

Customer service is great. www.ibackshift.com Dynamo Joe has very clear instructions online , on video and sends emails with complete explanations. Dynamo Joe has ALWAYS called or emailed with every question answered. Provided even more clarity for a novice clutch builder like myself. He recommended other manufacturers to get a better deals on other parts for the sled. Tool kit.

I was gonna go with a kit from both Big John and Dynamo Joe BUT for simplicity and the above statements going exclusively with IBACKSHIFT.COM

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Here is the clutch kit recommended by www.ibackshift.com Dynamo Joe.

2018 summit sp 19-51 gears 154 t=rack 3 inch paddles

2 sleds a 220 lb ride and 130lb rider.

Clutch kit for 2019 & 18 G4 x 850 x 3" (three inch track) with 965 high elevation ramps.

This kit can be used from sea level to 13000 feet.

170/375 Venom primary spring
Pivot pin kit (w/steel spacers/Titanium and steel pivot bolts)
225/330 Dalton yellow/orange secondary spring
Helix

Sent a different spring FREE to lower engagement over 1000 RPM below stock.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
2018 165x 3" 850. I'm 250 ish in gear. I have the MDS in mine, and love it for the riding I do. Kit hits 7900 to 8100 from 5k to 8k, and in Tog, was down to 7600. In the last month, sled has been to Seeley, Tog, Island Park, Clockum( Wa state) and Halfway. Belt temps are MUCH cooler, belt looks new (500 ish miles.) Backshift is quick, acceleration is quick and smooth. Mds installed new arms, and new primary spring. I'm also geared down to 19 on the top...

...MDS offers a money back guarantee for any reason. I have ZERO reasons to want it back!

Ace

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
2018 165x 3" 850. I'm 250 ish in gear. I have the MDS in mine, and love it for the riding I do. Kit hits 7900 to 8100 from 5k to 8k, and in Tog, was down to 7600. In the last month, sled has been to Seeley, Tog, Island Park, Clockum( Wa state) and Halfway. Belt temps are MUCH cooler, belt looks new (500 ish miles.) Backshift is quick, acceleration is quick and smooth. Mds installed new arms, and new primary spring. I'm also geared down to 19 on the top...

...MDS offers a money back guarantee for any reason. I have ZERO reasons to want it back!

Ace

MDS has the perfect warranty. Did you do it or send in the clutch?

Only the primary clutch? No mods to the secondary?

What RPM do you engage at?

garciava

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
western colorado
very pleased with Ibackshift. Works as advertised. I have his kit on my 2016 800 154 and my 2018 850 165. Both sleds pull great and easy to adjust if needed

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
MDS has the perfect warranty. Did you do it or send in the clutch?

Only the primary clutch? No mods to the secondary?

What RPM do you engage at?

...I live an Hour away, so he installed it for me. Secondary is stock. I'm thinking it's 3500ish... don't hold me to that...I will check in a bit...

Ace

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Haha; I'd like to say, I have never made a "dialed in" product, ever! If you were to ask me...

Guy) "Joe, are your kit(s) dialed in?"
Joe) "No".
Guy) what? But you have a kit with X and Y parts in it.
Joe) As a half-assd tuner, im always exploring on how to make my kits suit other people's needs by way of the problems they encounter and want to overcome. So, your kit may not be exactly the same parts as another owners kit, even though its the same sled.

I can safely say that my kits are not dialed in and never will be as long as there are different people with different requirements coming to me to supply them with whatever they need. There is a "push off the dock" start with the kit, but it can change as time progress based on problems, wants, needs. Another reason my kits are not "dialed in" is because I love making mistakes; Its the best way to increase our knowledge of clutch tuning?

Here is one of my proofs...
When the G4 was released, there was basically only a handful of primary clutch springs with start forces of 170, 150 suitable for a summit. Now that we've tested more and more and have a small army of test guys and feedback; Ive done a ton of research on making springs with different forces, but this takes time, not just throw something in, drive it 2~3x and call it good. Now we have a spring available with 100 pounds start force. I've even made some with 85 pounds start force and learned what to do to make them work. I get to ride-test every weekend during the winter, non-stop testing.

When you read the first post, that guy has a "feature" of surging he does not like with his sled. I seen that feature in 2016 on my G4 sled and started to research on what to do to reduce, and/or eliminate it.

I've tested for the last 2 seasons (and with much help from test guys and customers who wanted in on helping to verify) on "How low can we go" on engagement speed with the natural 850 and then the factory turbo 850. I've tested down to 2200 rpms engagement speed and it works good when someone needs that.

I got Dale at Dalton to make me a 100/360 primary spring which he offers at daltonindustries too.

The pDrive 100-360 primary clutch spring

Last edited:

Flydanner

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2018
There now is three of us running I-Backshift kits in Colorado at 9-12,000 feet and we love it. Have no experience with the other. Huge difference over stock clutching. Peter
How Much Weight are your running?

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
How Much Weight are your running?
2019 850 165 i'm running the lightest bolt only supplied in the kit. Clicker 1 or 2 till 10,000' then clicker 4. I have the stock ramp for the 19's. The other two are 2017 155 and they are running more weight but the stock ramp in the 17's are lighter. They have been messing around with low engagement springs and liking it with the 155 3" but with my 165 3" I'm sticking with engagement about 3400 and sled moves at 4000 if I remember right. I'm running Joey's secondary ramp but Dalton's highest spring pressure. Using a modified 200-400 spring cut at about 100-110 degrees. Stock sled. skidoo 571 belt which lasted 1700 miles last season. will replace with new this year. I out run my daughter's 2019 850 165 bone stocker in powder, hill climbing, and hard pack with more throttle response and between the gear I pack and my weight I'm 85# heavier. Peter

Premium Features