• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How is the Alpha One 600 working out?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Wow, I step away for a day and you guys lit it up! No, I don't like the 600 Alpha for the graphics or paint job. It looks pretty boring/wimpy to me. They need a full on Mountain version of this sled with all the lightweight stuff and as long as I am asking, include the SHOT starting system.

To make matters worse, my wife says:

"Since you are looking at maybe getting a new sled, I sure miss the days when you rode yellow snowmobiles because I could see you much more easily".

Geesh

I suppose she will have me looking a a Gen 4 850 with SHOT. Damn the bad luck! :)
They will probably get the SHOT after they pay Doo for it. Like in the early 2000's when Doo came out with the RER and then Poo paid for it.

R
Feb 26, 2008
I cant believe how good ours works. Motor feels totally different than the previous 600s. Soft on the bottom but it screams on top. Finally top end power to compete with a 600 Axys.
Track works amazing. Shocks feel funny in the shop but ride super smooth on the road. i blow through them jumping but the boss isnt much of a jumper. Better oil would probably fix it without valving. Hits 70 no problem on the trail. A bit rich still but feels very refined. I removed the electric start and went to a regular seat. Lost 24 pounds.

Id be willing to say it probably outruns a pre-dropped chaincase M8.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Wow! That's amazing!

"Id be willing to say it probably outruns a pre-dropped chaincase M8".

I just see them getting cheaper and cheaper. I bet I could find a 600 Alpha for $9,999 before too long but, then again the 800 Alphas are coming down too. Although, it would be tough to get one of them for under $11,500 to maybe down to $10,999 this spring.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I cant believe how good ours works. Motor feels totally different than the previous 600s. Soft on the bottom but it screams on top. Finally top end power to compete with a 600 Axys.
Track works amazing. Shocks feel funny in the shop but ride super smooth on the road. i blow through them jumping but the boss isnt much of a jumper. Better oil would probably fix it without valving. Hits 70 no problem on the trail. A bit rich still but feels very refined. I removed the electric start and went to a regular seat. Lost 24 pounds.

Id be willing to say it probably outruns a pre-dropped chaincase M8.

Yah, he has told me this several times. I think he is just too old and crippled to ride an 8 any more.....

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Anything new on how the 600 Alpha Ones are working out?

I keep thinking since they already have electric start, that by adding a lightweight battery and a lightweight exhaust can, it might be a fun sled.

I haven't looked but, does anyone make a single pipe kit for the 600?

Then I say to myself, why don't you just buy and 800 and be done with it?

Then I also hear the 600 is more tractable than the 800?

Last edited:

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO
I haven’t rode a 600 c tech but I’ve heard they’re impressive. I would like to try one out, but I seem to always buy holdover models and the 600’s never seem to have as good of a rebate on them as the 8’s do, Polaris and Cat both.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
They will probably get the SHOT after they pay Doo for it. Like in the early 2000's when Doo came out with the RER and then Poo paid for it.

I Doo recall reading that Polaris got the RER as part of a settlement,on a patent infringement lawsuit. Rear suspension I believe. Cat just waited the five years and built there own.

R
Feb 26, 2008
Loving ours more every time I ride it. Doesnt have the bottom end of an 800, as a result you have to ride a little more aggressively. You cant just stop and get going again anywhere. Leaves black marks in the snow but doesnt really run like its rich.

The boss lady loves it. She was incredibly unimpressed with the 600 AXYS she rode the other day.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Does the 600 have the bearing in the bottom of the primary like the 800s have to run zero belt deflection?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I called to buy a 600 Alpha on Wednesday advertised for $9,084 and was told it was a typo that the price should be $9,784. So, I got a bit pissed at the false advertising and hesitated. I stopped by today and all the 600 Alphas were gone. Apparently the salesman was gone and the guy I had on the phone gave me some misinformation.

Anyway, I'm a bummed out about it.

I will have to see if I can find another.....

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I read last night that there is a stock pipe mod for the 2019-2019 600's where several speed shops cut the stock pipe open and change the cone angle and add volume to the center of the pipe. In the end you gain a substantial amount of bottom end and midrange and 6 hp up top. There are also head mods and and a light weight exhaust canister that saves 14.8 lbs. 130 hp is well within reach without an ECU mod or a fuel controller.

If you want to go a little more wild, there are twin pipe kits and high compression heads and cylinder mods available as well. What the hp is with these mods, I don't know but it must be at least another 5-10 hp?

The whole thought process for me is to have a "starter mountain sled" with the power to keep up with the big boys. I did it with a piped and clutched 2000 Phazer Mountain Lite, and a lightly modded Arctic Cat M5 and I am thinking that with a lightweight battery and a front shock revlaving maybe the Alpha One 600 (or a Skidoo Gen 4 600 Etec) might be another one of these sleds where you people ask, how did you get that little sled up here. :)

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
he probably wants the e start from the factory, turn key sled. I'm not into 600s that outweigh the 800s myself but I dig the blue/white accents, looks really nice. Id love to see one with an 800 swapped under the hood :eyebrows:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Based on the comments I have been reading on the Alpha One Ride Reviews, it make me even more convinced that perhaps a 600cc Alpha with some lightweight goodies might be all one needs for the technical steep and deep stuff I typically ride.

Here are some quotes from Boondockingjake:

I wanted to voice that I completely disagree about the rumors of the Alpha washing out. This is all rider input related. If you’re used to any dual rail sled, you’re going to ride more aggressively with more throttle and working to cut into the slope. The alpha requires much less throttle to hold a steep side hill, and way less rider input. Add too much of either, and you can force it to do something else. Again, this is not a machine problem but a rider input issue. In short, if someone experiences washout, it’s because they haven’t learned how to fully ride it yet.

Agree 100% !!!!!!
Throttle control!

Cats have so much more traction, u have to learn throttle control.

I’ve said it before on here, but am I the only one who has discovered that I’m riding the alpha at 1/4-3/4 throttle in the steep and deep to achieve what used to take full throttle and cahoonas to the wall? If anything it takes retraining/restraint due to years of training that you need piles of momentum and full throttle....

I keep reading the 600 power is much more controllable and tractable and doesn't come in with a giant wallop like the 800. These engine characteristics combined with the traction and agility of the Alpha sure sound like they could be a very winning combination.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Any new updates on how the Alpha One 600's are doing?

My buddy has one and I got a chance to take it for a spin on the mountain a week ago. Conditions were about 3' to 4' of fresh snow.:face-icon-small-ton
Overall I came away from it very impressed. The engine is responsive and the track is amazing. When climbing you could back out of it, then get back into the throttle again and the track would just hook up and go.

I would say that it will climb with in about 10% of a good stock 800 sled. The owner of the sled says that there are even times when he can high mark his 800 XM with a 2.5" track, which I thought was pretty good. It is by far the best performing 600 mountain sled that I have been on.

For fun factor it was really easy to do down hill turn outs and go back up again. The snow was deep that day which helps, but it was noticeably easier to do then on my 18 mountain cat. With the difference most likely being attributed to the Alpha skid.

Overall I would say that it has all of the attributes that make the Alpha 800 a great mountain sled, only with a little bit less horsepower.

Last edited:
Premium Features