• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sidekick at low elevation

C
Oct 29, 2009
anyone run the sidekick at 0-5000 feet? I know the kit says not recommended but boondocker said just run straight av gas and change the clutch weights. there is also the option of the jumper switch that apparently switches it to a richer fuel map, did anyone use, or have to use the jumper? run a different fuel mix all together like 50/50?

2018 Polaris Axys 800 with boondocker sidekick

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
The key words are "I know the kit says not recommended but......"

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
anyone run the sidekick at 0-5000 feet? I know the kit says not recommended but boondocker said just run straight av gas and change the clutch weights. there is also the option of the jumper switch that apparently switches it to a richer fuel map, did anyone use, or have to use the jumper? run a different fuel mix all together like 50/50?

2018 Polaris Axys 800 with boondocker sidekick

Richer? Like the ethanol mode? Or more than that? Are you actually at 0ft? What elevation you ride?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
The 18 kits came with a jumper wire that is allows you to run a richer map. This is not ethanol mode. It’s an alternative map in the sidekick controller.

I don’t have a 100% answer for you. I have been told a lot of low elevation guys run the ST kit with additional injectors. Also I would contact Vohk, they have spent a bunch of time on it.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Maybe a timing key is what you need? I know boondocker offers up to a 3 degree electronic progressive key. I have one I may end up selling, probably be a good thing to have at sea level.

C
Oct 29, 2009
yes I unload at sea level and ride at around 4000 feet, its the northwest coast. I was gifted the sidekick otherwise I woulda went with silber as there proven to run good at our elevation. the silber guys run flawlessly with a 50/50 mix.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I am sure it will run very well. Just need to figure out what it takes.

The 18 controller has timing key built in.

C
Oct 29, 2009
yes I unload at sea level and ride at around 4000 feet, its the northwest coast. I was gifted the sidekick otherwise I woulda went with silber as there proven to run good at our elevation. the silber guys run flawlessly with a 50/50 mix.

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
I am looking at the sidekick. Once a year we take a trip to the west coast of BC. The ride height is 2000 to 5000 ft. It is my only concern. Dealer said to just add av gas, but I'd like to hear some guys that can confirm what you need to do.

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
I unload a little short of 3k' with my Axys/Sidekick and often stay below 6k' all day.
I run 1-2gals of Avgas every tank and have no problems.
I don't run it hard on the trail out of the lot, but as soon as I'm off the trail I pin it whenever I need it.

Don't be afraid to run it, I'm sure you will love it!

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Seen a few of these here in Alaska riding ~1500' and they all over revved and were pinging constantly.

I'm not a turbo brain so correct me if my wrong, but my understanding of this system is it has an internal wastegate, and such has a hard time controlling boost creep vs an external WG. 2 of the guys I've seen said their boost gauge kept pushing 7-10lbs which, here that is almost impossible to clutch for. Especially if it isn't consistent(which in their case it was not).

On BD's website, the "not recommended" disclaimer goes away when you get the more expensive kit that has an external WG correct?

Silber definitely has a larger presence up here in AK than any other turbo manufacturer, largely due to runabililty at our low elevations.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Seen a few of these here in Alaska riding ~1500' and they all over revved and were pinging constantly.

I'm not a turbo brain so correct me if my wrong, but my understanding of this system is it has an internal wastegate, and such has a hard time controlling boost creep vs an external WG. 2 of the guys I've seen said their boost gauge kept pushing 7-10lbs which, here that is almost impossible to clutch for. Especially if it isn't consistent(which in their case it was not).

On BD's website, the "not recommended" disclaimer goes away when you get the more expensive kit that has an external WG correct?

Silber definitely has a larger presence up here in AK than any other turbo manufacturer, largely due to runabililty at our low elevations.
I ran a silber on my ‘11 pro and through trying to get it dialed in I discovered riding placier one day that I unloaded at an air density of -800’. After I figured that out it all made sense. 2 kids now so stock-ish motors but I can say a few thing from personal experience of turbos at sea level

1) use good gas. Preferably race gas over av as there are different vapor pressures. Av is made for low rpm engines. Very stable and consistent but burns slower.
2) your pump gas kit will run, but your motor will see the stresses of a full race gas kit. The final compression that the cylinder sees of 6 psi at sea level will be approximately the same as running 11 psi at 10k’. You will need the octane/fueling requirements of a 11psi system not a 6 psi system.
3) as your motor is seeing race gas stress it needs race gas maintenance. Clutches need to be spot on, motor mounts will go faster ect.
4) Boondocker did I pretty good job on the sidekick. I’ve got a couple buddies running them in the soldotna area and they go good. Don’t make as much power, but they pull and go usually. Their clutching is crap for sea level though. Plan to have to change that.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I rode a bd sidekick axys at 1500-2000' the other day. It was the first two stroke turbo that I have ridden that actually ran good. I have owned 3 silber kits now (two on old pros and one on a 850 doo) and they always have some sort of bog, cutting out, etc. The bd sidekick blew me away how smooth the power delivery was, especially being an internally gated turbo. Although the clutching was off and was super soft on bottom end (way too steep of a helix), the motor itself never bogged or stumbled. Just requires at least 70/30 pump/avgas to run this low, preferably 50/50 pump/av gas.

Last edited:

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Good info!! If I see those guys again I'll point them to this thread for some help figuring theirs out.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Yup do it all the time. I run at 2000ft but do run av gas. Full timing and none ethanol. I have also faked the system into running 6 lbs boost instead of the 4 1/2 that they run. I run ti pri 155-300 spring 10-78 weights, 40-44 helix, 160-260 sec spring.

Premium Features