• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rmk 900 bored to 1000, now backfiring, gutless

X
Jan 2, 2019
i recently bought a RMK 900 off of a good friend, he had it bored out and modified to 1000cc at a sled shop last season, it ran awesome till he parked it for the summer ( it did have half a tank of gas sitting in it) now this season, first start up was really hard to keep it running and it would backfire and shoot flames out the exhaust every time the RPM's hit 7100. after we burned a fresh tank of gas through it with Seafoam it cleared up, with loads of power and the engine would hit 9000 RPM's. but when we started playing in the powder it started stuttering at anything above half throttle. we thawed it out cleaned the snow/ice away from the intake breather paper, but no luck. its back to backfiring and shooting flames at 7100RPM's
i checked the plugs and they look okay not fouled.

rebuilt motor and a brand new stator and regulator
fuel injected system
this is my first high end sled and don't know much about the fuel injection system
UPDATE****
it idles fine at about 1200rpm, there is no engine lights or codes and it runs at about 110*F, a friend told me it sounds like it is running the bowls out of fuel at WOT, but it still backfires at 7100rpm no matter where the throttle position is, this is confusing

any one have any ideas

Last edited:

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Fuel issue ?

Sounds like you still have a fuel issue. Cleaning out the system with Seafoam seems to have got you 1/2 the way there. You may have a slightly plugged fuel filter or you may have damaged the electric fuel pump. If it had Ethanol in it and it sat this can cause lots of problems - NO-Ethanol in snowmobiles - NONE. puregas.org The pump and related parts are in the tank and its not that hard to pull. Look in the tank with a flashlight- see any goo in the bottom ? Check the fuel pressure with an automotive type fuel injector gage.
Or it could be the VES Valves not opening- gooded up.

Premium Features