• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine mounting problem

P
Mar 16, 2009
British Columbia
I had to replace to e-module, s-module, and pretty much everything around it this year due to a tree getting in my way last winter.

I just dropped the engine back in on top of the mounts and tightened up the 4 bolts, however the ring gear hits the lower front portion of the e-module. I found this out after starting it up for a second - made a hell of a racket each time it hit.

I removed the mount bolts and moved the engine over to the left to where it wouldn't hit any more and from what I can see the MAG side mounts still lined (due to the square holes), and the front PTO should be ok, but now the rear PTO mount doesnt line up at all (has the fixed round hole).

Has anyone every been through this before? Have you had to die-grind the hole larger to work? I should mention that the e-module is brand new so everything is straight.

I attached a couple of pictures here as reference. In the third picture I had started to take a file to the aluminum to help it clear the ring gear. Made a bit of mess right now that I need to cleanup, but thought I should start asking questions here before i get too far along.

Hope someone can help.

Attachments

• SNC00170.jpg
    SNC00170.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 119
  • SNC00171.jpg
    SNC00171.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 117
  • SNC00172.jpg
    SNC00172.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I used a 12 inch long 1/2 inch diameter drill bit with engine installed. It was tight but I managed to drill out the rear mount and slide the engine over. It used 6 belts in the first 1000 kms and now it does not eat belts.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
This was happening to me with my 872. The ring gear eventually ripped my torque stopper out and sheared the 3 bolts holding it on. ****ed up my crank and took out 2 water pumps in 300 miles. Doing a complete rebuild now. I am replacing the E module and I removed the ring gear.

Premium Features