• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Noob Help: Backfire and Bog down when accelerating

P
Jan 5, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I bought my first snowmobile this week: 2006 Panther 370.

Within about 5 minutes of it driving fine (and after warming up for about 10-15 minutes) when I throttle to more than a slow speed it backfires once every couple minutes and loses acceleration (bogs?) for a split second.

I checked the spark plugs and noticed under the fuel pump there appears to be some fuel (leak?)

The previous owner disconnected and then reconnected the kill switch however the key does not stop the engine when turned to off (have to use kiss switch)

I wonder, could it be the leaky fuel pump line? Would there be enough fuel that it idles fine and drives slow great but when I accelerate it isnt getting enough?

This is my first snowmobile and I've never fixed one before so all suggestions appreciated, thanks!

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
could be staving fuel, if you are using all the fuel in the float bowl before the pump can fill it should act like its running out of gas. The back fire could also be an interment spark where gas vapors build up in combustion chamber when spark shuts off then fires. I would fix the leaky fuel line first, then move on to the wiring.

Premium Features