• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gps app for Samsung s5?

ejf50

Lifetime Membership
Mar 6, 2008
what is the best app to download for the s5? Looking to use it in steamboat area in a few weeks as a backup if we get turned around. obviously need it to work without cell service!?

thanks

SnowBaller

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
Backcountry navigator , have to down load map before you go. I use the topo image one that is recommended. worked in a s4, more memory the better. use in airplane mode do not need tower signal.

^^^^ This! I use this app every time I'm in the backcountry. I have used it on an S3 and S5. No need for a network signal. Set phone to airplane mode with location on and set to GPS only for location service. Buy the pro version and you'll never be disappointed.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Navigator saved my arse this weekend

I was at the Snowy range this weekend, It started to snow some as we headed into the back side (locals call of the main peaks in the snowy range) There were tracks every where going in as it is very popular. After an hour of playing the snow started to really come down pretty much white out. Everything looked the same. I used the navigator app to follow our tracks back out. Would have been a little more stressful with out. One thing I have learned is to never blindly follow a set of tracks. they could take you into a situation you may not be able to get out of.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Backcountry Navigator PRO

I have heard great things about the Backcountry Navigator PRO application. Some are using it on old phones and also tablets, as long as they are GPS enabled devices.

Anyone on here used a small tablet with this app for navigation?

S
Apr 21, 2017
I would have to agree with the Back Country Navigator. It's one of the most popular in the market and it's compatible even with tablets.
Another recommendation is the Co Pilot. Have you tried installing it already?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I would have to agree with the Back Country Navigator. It's one of the most popular in the market and it's compatible even with tablets.
Another recommendation is the Co Pilot. Have you tried installing it already?

I installed the "demo" (free) version of the Back Country Navigator on an old Galaxy S6 phone that i had, and used it on a little drive around the area (in the city). I can see how it does a track just like the Garmin i have used. It was super easy to use, in fact quite impressive. There are no roads displayed on it as it is for the back country, but i can see how it would still be useful to use the free version. There are no trail overlays on the free version. Just having the trail overlays would be worth the $11.99 for the paid version. I think you still have to make purchases of some overlays based on some of the reviews. I might just spring for this soon and do a report back on here of how well (or not) it works :)

Premium Features