• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spark plug came out while riding.

Y

Yoop720

Jan 10, 2016
I have a 2016 SBA. I took my sled for a ride down the power line next to my house today. About a mile from my house the sled sounded like it blew up. The sled instantly died and I almost went over the bars. When I pulled the side panel I found my mag side plug had came right out!!! When I checked the pto side I could twist it out without a wrench.

I had my sled at the dealership a couple weeks ago because I got gas that was mixed with diesel at a station. The dealership went thru my sled and changed plugs, fuel filter and did a compression test.

I'm guessing the guy working on my sled must have not tightened the plugs down to spec and this is the result.

Here is my question...what the hell should I do now. What if anything could be screwed up on my sled. I do have a warranty on my snowmobile and will be calling the dealership tomorrow. Thanks for any help fellas.

Here is a pic of the plugs. They look really lean to me but I don't know crap about this stuff. They might just look this way because they were loose.

a46447d38ce10f9407d719c9f3bbb1b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Actually thats not lean at all, in fact its almost perfect. A nice cardboard brown is what you want to see.

As long as the threads are not damaged in the head there really isnt anything to worry about. Eric

Y

Yoop720

Jan 10, 2016
So you would just keep riding it?? What I mean is you wouldn't have the dealer check it out seeing it was their screw up. Thanks for the info on the plug. I guess I'm just use to pulling a plug when it is fouled.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
So you would just keep riding it?? What I mean is you wouldn't have the dealer check it out seeing it was their screw up. Thanks for the info on the plug. I guess I'm just use to pulling a plug when it is fouled.

If the threads are not damaged, Yes. Wouldnt be a bad idea to install new plugs in it just to be safe. Eric

Y

Yoop720

Jan 10, 2016
I put new plugs in and made sure they were tight. I didn't take it for a ride just in case there was a possibility that maybe it was a detonation problem instead of just loose plugs. Appreciate the help though.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Detonation will rattle plugs loose, but not very likely on a stock sled unless you got some very bad gas. If that was the case you would have seen the DET light come on. Eric

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
This happened to me after putting in new plugs. I didn't tighten them down enough and they loosened off while riding. Tightened them down nice and proper and haven't had an issue yet.

As the others have said, if you haven't lost any threads in the head then you should be fine.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Yep, yours isn't the only one I've heard about this happening to unfortunately.

I cant imagine putting in a set of plugs and forgetting to snug em down, but it must happen (short attention span, or interruption perhaps?).

newfrank

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2013
Yep, yours isn't the only one I've heard about this happening to unfortunately.

I cant imagine putting in a set of plugs and forgetting to snug em down, but it must happen (short attention span, or interruption perhaps?).

I was rushing when I did put mine in after the new top end and moved on to something else and forgot to check the plugs again. Happens to the best of us. Luckily, no damage done.

Y

Yoop720

Jan 10, 2016
Thanks for the input guys. I brought it in to the dealer today because they are swearing that they had tightened the plugs down to spec. I really have my doubts about that seeing both were loose.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Ya those seem to need to be torqued down pretty good. That motor does shake a lot, noticed how much it really vibrates once I put my bumper go pro on. Mine was cutting out and I limped it back. Sure enough the plugs were half way loose....

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
No excuse for Dealer not torqueing the plugs! I do all of my work and have had this happen when I only snugged the plug in place and did not torque properly and this can happen when you use the plug wrench (short handle) that is in the sled tool kit.
gtwitch in wyoming

P
Mar 23, 2013
Choiceland sask
New plugs you have to crush the washer. The box even tells you how far to turn the past finger tight if i remember right. You should be able to feel it get tight then bottom. I know most know this but i was always taught dont assume what other people know lol

Y

Yoop720

Jan 10, 2016
New plugs you have to crush the washer. The box even tells you how far to turn the past finger tight if i remember right. You should be able to feel it get tight then bottom. I know most know this but i was always taught dont assume what other people know lol

Yeah I know how to install a plug. The dealership should read your post because they are the only people that have changed a plug on my sled. I got the sled back from the dealership yesterday. They said the reason the plug blew out was because there was a old Crush Cap or washer left in!!! Those bastards actually left one in when they serviced my sled last....how the hell can something like this happen at a Polaris dealership. I'm looking at finding a new dealership for my next sled that's for sure.

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
Yeah I know how to install a plug. The dealership should read your post because they are the only people that have changed a plug on my sled. I got the sled back from the dealership yesterday. They said the reason the plug blew out was because there was a old Crush Cap or washer left in!!! Those bastards actually left one in when they serviced my sled last....how the hell can something like this happen at a Polaris dealership. I'm looking at finding a new dealership for my next sled that's for sure.

I'm on my third Poo dealer

Last edited:

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I have owned at lot of vehicles, toys, and tools in my life and I can't ever remember a spark plug coming loose. Normally if something weird happens, it happens to me! :face-icon-small-con

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA

And what's worse is they lied to you. Or at least I've never seen a plug lose its washer.

Y

Yoop720

Jan 10, 2016
I have the washer...they gave it to me. Here is a picture of it.
118b70155c651ff6932e81a16d286317.jpg

Premium Features