• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spring Setup

M
Jan 26, 2012
Lolo, MT
Is anybody changing things for spring riding conditions. I've been getting knocked around on the hard snow out there and wondering if there is a way to make the bike a little more forgiving... shock setups, front arm adjuster(track swing), ect.....? 450xcf w/TS LT...

you could dribble a basketball on this snow.

why am I looking at the lawn mower and snowbike in my garage wondering which one I will get to use next.....in February:frusty:

Oct 16, 2012
BC
beats me but I went over the bars about 6 times a couple weeks ago just from the track not being able to lean into the snow at all. It wasn't even leaving marks in the snow

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
beats me but I went over the bars about 6 times a couple weeks ago just from the track not being able to lean into the snow at all. It wasn't even leaving marks in the snow

We went on a hardpack ride a few weeks ago and did some crazy climbing and sidehilling. There were times when we were only leaving a track about an inch wide where the edge of the ski and track were in line. It was tough riding, but it was pretty cool, especially when you think back to how scary riding on that stuff was on a sled.

M
Jan 26, 2012
Lolo, MT
we had a great day for sure. However I know you snowbike junkies are gear heads. Half the fun of riding these things is messing with them. I guess i'll just keep everybody posted on what i'm doing to deal with Februly. I held strong in Juneuary holding out for snow but I'm tired of false hopes. I think i might try the 3 degree sway next ride out. Also my forks are set at factory Sport settings(11 clicks out on compression and rebound dampening). I'll leave them there for now. If it does snow I will probably stiffen up the compression on the front. The trail tech risers have helped oddly enough being 6'3"... Lets hope March shows up with some snow. Promised one of the shop guys a cold one if it snows 20+ inches in March... lets hope he wins.

C
Jun 27, 2014
Going to ride Saturday in the hard snow in lower michigan. Going to try it. Lol. Just at the farm. Next weekend going to the UP!!!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Is anybody changing things for spring riding conditions. I've been getting knocked around on the hard snow out there and wondering if there is a way to make the bike a little more forgiving... shock setups, front arm adjuster(track swing), ect.....? 450xcf w/TS LT...

you could dribble a basketball on this snow.

why am I looking at the lawn mower and snowbike in my garage wondering which one I will get to use next.....in February:frusty:

Well Dan and I have tried:

the triple edge center keel skag............not sure for sure, better than the half pipe in the hard stuff, good on a skating rink.

Dan played with his strut length, shorter , to take some pressure off the ski...........oops right back to our old deep snow winter setting, couldn't find anything better.....although shorter made it foul handling on an icy road.

took our side covers/engine coverings off, engine temp issues are not an issue.

Stayed home the other day due to overworking our arms on the hard pack in those conditions

wish I Had a helicopter to set my bike down in the fluff at 8000' and not have to elbow my way up there.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I have the Fox Float 3 up front and the Evol X RC2 in the back. I'm going to be playing with my pressure and rear comp/rebound settings to see if I can find a better spring solution. I thought running the whole setup softer would be good but it's actually worse. When climbing over humps and floaters the hit on the front side of the next obstacle saps a crazy amount of power from the suspension compressing.... I'm going to make the rear a little softer and really stiffen the front Float up to see if that helps. I'm sure the road will be more brutal but that's not why we ride these things.

M
Jan 26, 2012
Lolo, MT
The UP should be good. Have fun up there heh:face-icon-small-hap

Cat- Thanks for the info. I am headed out tomorrow and sunday if your interested. Going to start at Lolo Pass to skip the dirt and rain. Sunday there should be about 5 of us. Did you guys mess with the front arms adjuster at all (the roll of the track)? was thinking the 3 degree might tighten the arse wobbles on the hard pack...

Rush- good to know, keep us posted on how it works out. I'm going to start at the front sway adjuster, I'll try 3degrees tomorrow then re-evaluate. I am still dialing in the front forks but the more snow, the stiffer you want them it seems..? We might even get a few inches tonight and tomorrow!!!

My arms were so tired I could hardly get my beer to my lips, thought I was going to have to use a straw...

Last edited:
C

Corban_White

Dec 30, 2009
Are you guys running scratchers? I burned up a set of hyfax in 3 miles running down the ice. They only wore under the front shock though, which would be forward of where the scratchers would mount. Would they even help? Or is it because I lenthened the limiter strap and increased the preload to match? Sure handles better that way.....

M
Jan 26, 2012
Lolo, MT
Are you guys running scratchers? I burned up a set of hyfax in 3 miles running down the ice. They only wore under the front shock though, which would be forward of where the scratchers would mount. Would they even help? Or is it because I lenthened the limiter strap and increased the preload to match? Sure handles better that way.....

I have rode a bit of icy road as of late, no problems with hyfax and no scratchers. I do drag my boats occasionally and dip off the road as much as possible. however due to your recent adjustments and the hyfax wear on the front only, i wonder if you have too much preload ?

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho

I burned through a set of hyfax a couple years ago in the same spot -- right at the curved part in the front. I added scratchers last year and you're right, they kick up snow behind the wear spot. But they seem to work, I think, because they do the job of cooling the clips, and hot clips are what melt the hyfax.

M
Jan 26, 2012
Lolo, MT
So tried the 3 degree sway on the rear track and noticed a big difference yesterday. While I could still feel the push of the track on the hard uneven snow, the bike would hold the line. We actually did get some fresh snow which helps but it was a dust on crust. Maybe 3 inches with some deeper wind loaded on leeward slopes. Windward slopes were blown clean and left the hard crust exposed. I stiffened the front fork compression to 9 clicks out instead of 11. Bike handled pretty well. I am tempted to see what the 0 degree sway will do, might try it tomorrow but was pretty happy at 3 so far. I was also tempted to play with the front fork height... I'm running the trail tech risers 1 1/4 inch i believe. Wondering if dropping the height might help on some of the steeper climbs and keeping the ski contact on the snow a bit better.... Its not that I mind riding wheelies but in hard snow when it come down and hooks up, hang on.
Engine temps at 26 degrees with a 20mph wind stayed about 170 degrees with the engine shroud. Hope to get a nice big day tomorrow and play around with some of the above mentioned adjustments. What else can we do until it starts snowing again :)

Premium Features