• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM Electic Start

T
Aug 12, 2008
Misery Bay, MI
Just wondering how are you guys getting these things started in the cold? I have my TS on a 300 and I need to kick it for a cold start even with a Shorai battery. Looking at putting TS on a new KTM 450 but without a kickstart backup I'm worried it may leave me at the trailer or worse in the woods....

kylerf150

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2011
great falls mt
Are you running a oil suitable for the cold.
Once I switch to 5w40 Rotella t6 syn.. my bikes started 100 times better. Keep in mind I'm running 4 strokes I don't know what works on a 2 stroke.I also bought one of those little jumpers like this one http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/micro-start-xp-1/

It will jump a completely dead battery in - 10 degree weather like nothing. Just make sure you keep it in a pocket on you body so it stays warm.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Ditch the Lithium Ion battery and go to traditional Lead Acid like the Yuasa YTZ7S. I don't know what fits in your battery mount, but if it had the YTZ5S before the 7S will fit. I have not found a morning cold enough to keep my bike from cranking over with the Lead Acid battery. -23F with a 5W oil no problem.

Remember, Lithium Ion has to be warm in order to get full power/CCA out of it. Defeats the purpose for snowbiking. Shorai has some of the worst battery reviews on the market.

kylerf150

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2011
great falls mt
I agree with Rush if your running a lithium battery that's your problem right there. Keep in mind that the yuasa YTZ7S is an inch higher than a YTZ5S. I had to notch out my seat in order too get it to fit in 500. Not the greatest solution, you can feel that battery by the end of the day. I'm going to look into moving the battery holder down. But the 7S is twice the CCA of the 5S,we'll worth it.
uploadfromtaptalk1424116581161.jpg

sent from my LG G FLEX

kylerf150

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2011
great falls mt
I just went out and checked the number on my bike and the bike shop gave me the wrong battery they were suppose to give me a YTZ7S but instead they gave me a Ytx7lbs which is almost 2" higher. So disregard what I previously posted the ytz7s probably will fit with no mods. Rush are you running the ytz7s on your 450?

T
Aug 12, 2008
Misery Bay, MI
I just went out and checked the number on my bike and the bike shop gave me the wrong battery they were suppose to give me a YTZ7S but instead they gave me a Ytx7lbs which is almost 2" higher. So disregard what I previously posted the ytz7s probably will fit with no mods. Rush are you running the ytz7s on your 450?

I run the Shorai for summer riding, its lighter and the increased CCA spins the bike all the time, even after its on its side or upside down and may need some extra turns.... Interesting on the YTZ7S, may have to keep that in mind. The Shorai starts the 300 fine once the motor is warm, just that first kick of the day. I thought the lithium ion just wouldn't charge unless it was warm, but the cold didn't effect the CCA if it was at full charge?

kylerf150

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2011
great falls mt
I have never ran a lithium battery. From the research I have done they are not a very good choice for winter use.shoria recommends that the voltage never falls below 12.86 volts.

View attachment 250281

If I am reading that right the battery isn't at 100% until almost 14.3volts! I am pretty sure our bikes can't maintain a battery at 14.3 volts to keep it at 100% and by looking it drops off fast. This is what they say about cold weather.
A.*Down to about 20 degrees Fahrenheit (-7C) most users find that they can start normally on first crank. If your headlight comes on at key-ON, it is good for the batteries to flow some current before cranking in cold weather. The suggested headlight-on time before cranking depends on the temperature. If starting at 40F/5C, 30 seconds will help wake the battery and increase cranking performance. If at 0F/-17C, leave the lights on for 4~5 minutes before cranking. The result will be a better first crank, and longer battery life.* If the engine fails to start on first crank, that first crank has warmed the battery, and the second attempt will be much stronger. Other accessories that can be turned on before cranking can also be used for this purpose, such as heated gear, radio, etc...* Insuring that the battery is fully charged after storage also improves first-start performance in cold weather.
Also I read once somewhere that they should be charged between 32*F and 113*F which I seldom ride my timbersled @ those temps.

I will stick with the tried and true lead acid core batteries for now. Lithium are cool and all but just don't work well for what we need/use them for IMHO. Get a YTZ7S for winter and Put the lithium back in this summer. Also don't forget about using the right weight oil.
If you wanna do a little test throw a quart of you motorcycle oil in the freezer with a quart of T6 5-40 and wait 24hrs there will be a noticeable difference.

Take care

sent from my LG G FLEX

Last edited:

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
upgrade the stator

If you're running grip heaters, carb heater, or other accessories, you might consider upgrading the stator from stock. I ran a 300XC last year with the upgraded stator (and battery) and never had a problem turning over with electric start.
This year I'm on a 450sxf (also with the stator / battery upgrade) and never have a problem. I carry jumpers just in case.

C

Corban_White

Dec 30, 2009
I replaced the ballistic battery that came with my 300 with a ytz7s. Fit perfect. No regrets. Always cranks, even at 26 below zero (fahrenheit).

L

lacesout

Oct 5, 2014
i carry an anti gravity jump start in my klim backpack with my 2010 ktm 450sxf. It doesnt have the kick start option. Im running 0w40 oil that helps with the cold starts. It will not start without a boost from the jump starter. Once it is warm it works fine without the jump starter.

T
Aug 12, 2008
Misery Bay, MI
i carry an anti gravity jump start in my klim backpack with my 2010 ktm 450sxf. It doesnt have the kick start option. Im running 0w40 oil that helps with the cold starts. It will not start without a boost from the jump starter. Once it is warm it works fine without the jump starter.

Do you have the YTZ7S battery with the increased CCA? With my 300 I have the kickstart so I'm not worried about it. Its when its my only way out...

Premium Features