• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thermostat Bypass Thermo Bob or AVID

N

Northwestguy

Apr 1, 2010
Panhandle NID
Thermo Bob sells with a 170 deg.
AVID with 190 deg.
My bike is
14' KTM 450 XCF FI
15' TS ST

What do you all prefer and why?
Thanks in advance

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I would go with the 170 .... I personally think 170 is a better temp for a 4 stroke... I believe the thermo Bob is a smaller unit also....unless Avid has shrunk them down since the first run.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I just installed the new Thermobob TB3 stat this weekend. He just finished the run of the first new ones. They are much smaller than the old ones (and smaller than the Avid) and also has the tap for the TTO Temp gauge. It installs so cleanly that with my shrouds and tank on you can hardly see the stat. None of the lines or bypass touch the motor or radiator for a clean install.

First day in the snow she warmed up and ran 180F pretty much all day. Really love this new stat.

20150124_171306.jpg 20150124_171323.jpg Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

N

Northwestguy

Apr 1, 2010
Panhandle NID
Rush,
Thanks for the info.
What is the TTO Temp gauge?
Do you know if T-Bobs tap is compatible with Trail Tech Voyager's input for temp read out?

Nov 13, 2008
I also just installed a new tb3 with the temp sensor port on my '13 wr450. Fits great haven't ridden it yet so don't know how it works but I'm sure it will work great also. What sold me on the tb was customer service. I emailed him and within a few hours I got an email back. How often does that happen with companies anymore? Of top of that I said I wanted the new style so he held off on processing the order until the new style was ready to ship. Only delayed my order a couple days.

R
Mar 28, 2012
Mid-Michigan
Bills (thermo bob) costumer service is second to none! He was very helpful and answered all of my questions in a timely matter! Tb3 looks like a very good product! Have yet to do the installs, have four to do. This stupid broken leg has held me down! Getting restless though, heading to the garage tomorrow. Feedback as soon as I'm able!

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
I haven't tried the Avid parts, so I can't compare the two. But I do know that Bill's Thermobob stuff works perfectly and he is totally helpful. There are
4 of us out here using his parts.

U
Sep 12, 2010
I reused a 120 degree bypass thermostat and housing from a ski doo xp on my KX500 and it has worked well, so far as I can see without gauges.

N

Northwestguy

Apr 1, 2010
Panhandle NID
Thanks for all the great info everyone.
I ordered the T-Bob.
Cant wait to get it in service.
I got a nice personalized email with my order confirmation.
Very nice touch.

827revdog

Jun 18, 2008
michigan
I just installed the new Thermobob TB3 stat this weekend. He just finished the run of the first new ones. They are much smaller than the old ones (and smaller than the Avid) and also has the tap for the TTO Temp gauge. It installs so cleanly that with my shrouds and tank on you can hardly see the stat. None of the lines or bypass touch the motor or radiator for a clean install.

First day in the snow she warmed up and ran 180F pretty much all day. Really love this new stat.

rush where does the temp probe go? into the stat housing or the tee?

827revdog

Jun 18, 2008
michigan
My new style one doesn't have that. I'm probed in at the tee. Maybe he'll swap me out. Got a pic of yours?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
In the 2nd picture above you can see the bolt where the probe goes in (from the side). It's right next to the bypass. Call Bill and see what he can do for you. The size is the most important thing about the new stat... if you already have an in-line probe unit you could still do that install... just 2 less radiator hose clamps you have to run.

kylerf150

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2011
great falls mt
My new style one doesn't have that. I'm probed in at the tee. Maybe he'll swap me out. Got a pic of yours?

Well that sucks cuz my t3's weren't cut for a probe either. I wonder how hard it would be to drill it out and thread for a probe? I bet that die isn't cheap though.

I got A quick ? In the summer can I just pull out the thermostat and leave the housing plumbed in or will the bypass not allow enough cooling?

Premium Features