• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1997 600 XLT triple

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
The serial number tag on the tunnel shows your sled was manufactured May 1996 as a 1997 model year machine. The "970956" on the tag is the model # in the Polaris Parts Catalogs and Owners Manuals for that machine.

Here is the link to the Polaris Parts Catalog for that model:

http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

That link for the Polaris FAQ is one I used to have saved on my old computer just for this sled.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
133.5-144 should be easily doable with extensions. trouble with that particular size jump is your adding about 5" track length, and they seem to make about every other extension length except that. check the chart out, you want 5.25" axle extension, so i would just go with the closest ones, 6.25 axle extension.
http://www.wps-inc.com/catalogs/snow#Task=NEXT&CICID=SM&PRVCID=SM&PAGE=808&Rnd=2837795426071791
those should work, as you will be putting in smaller drivers so you will get some extra length.
tunnel extension is needed too. I have one that would work for you id sell cheap if youre interested pm me.
that things pretty clean for its age. the oil residue is completely normal. think about putting some straighter taller bars on it with a riser block too maybe so you can actually ride it.

A
Oct 20, 2014
Just drained the chain case oil.... It looks like carmel and smells pretty bad.... Any idea what its normally supposed to look like? How many ounces of fluid? The manual says 20oz for models with reverse, but then it says later in the manual to use 11oz... Can anyone clarify?

Thanks!

While I have the chain case off anything I should do to improve the sled tq/hp? Different tooth gears?

Woodsrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Polaris gear case lube is a dark gray as it contains moly. That color suggests water in has invaded and may have caused damage to bearings. What ever gearing you decide upon be sure to replace that chain mostly likely a time bomb waiting to take the chain case out.

A
Oct 20, 2014
I drained the oil and put in new polaris stuff (blue) and it seems to be much thinner... Im wondering if the owner prior to me put in regular engine oil and it foamed and created that weird caramel color...

I will run it with the new oil and see how it runs. The chain seemed tight and not in need of replacement....

If I was to replace it, where would I go about getting a chain for this old of a sled?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i wouldnt worry about the chain if it looks good. what gears are in it?

Last edited:
Premium Features