• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

95 skandic electric start problems

M
Mar 29, 2010
Anybody got ideas as to why a 95 skandic 500 doesn't start with the electric start but does ok when pull starting. It isn't making a spark cranking with the starter. If the engine is warm it sometimes starts. The starter and battery are new as is the CDI. The stator coils seem to ohm ok as well....maybe to big of an air gap for the coils? Any advise would be great!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
My guess would be bad ignition switch. If it does not start by engaging the starter with the ignition key try turning switch to on position. Use a screwdriver to jump across the two large terminals on the starter solinoid. If it consistantly starts (or has spark) try replacing the ignition switch.

M
Mar 29, 2010
Well, at first I thought that was it, the machine seemed to start well without the switch installed, but it was warm today (20F) and it acted up later. The switch seems to ohm ok......Any other ideas? ( I was so hoping that was it!)

Last edited:
Premium Features