• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

96 670 to 98 670 HO conversion

B
Apr 6, 2010
Trying to figure out how to do this. My builder and I had misscomunication and he sent me a newer 1998 Summit X 670 HO. The wiring connectors are not the same and I have researched that there are a lot of differences between the two motors.

Builder sent me the whole motor. I put my clutch and rewind starter on it. Everything else is 1996 Summit 670 equipment. Clutch, CDI, HAC, Pipes, motor mount - everything.

Now the builder is sending me back my flywheel and stator to put on the HO motor. Is this going to work?

If it does work - will I need to rejet or will the HAC compensate?

Does the DESS on the HO have to be connected up to the head? My 1996 doesn't have the electronics, switch, or tether.

I understand that the 98 Summit X has higher compression and more advanced timing curve on the crank and on the rotary valve.

It seems that IF I can get the carbs right then it should be fine.

I don't have any plans to race mountains - I am just looking for a dependable strong running sled for playing, ice fishing, and hunting the backcountry of Alaska. Dependability is way high up on my list - freezing to death doesn't interest me at all.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Trying to figure out how to do this. My builder and I had misscomunication and he sent me a newer 1998 Summit X 670 HO. The wiring connectors are not the same and I have researched that there are a lot of differences between the two motors.

Builder sent me the whole motor. I put my clutch and rewind starter on it. Everything else is 1996 Summit 670 equipment. Clutch, CDI, HAC, Pipes, motor mount - everything.

Now the builder is sending me back my flywheel and stator to put on the HO motor. Is this going to work?

If it does work - will I need to rejet or will the HAC compensate?

Does the DESS on the HO have to be connected up to the head? My 1996 doesn't have the electronics, switch, or tether.

I understand that the 98 Summit X has higher compression and more advanced timing curve on the crank and on the rotary valve.

It seems that IF I can get the carbs right then it should be fine.

I don't have any plans to race mountains - I am just looking for a dependable strong running sled for playing, ice fishing, and hunting the backcountry of Alaska. Dependability is way high up on my list - freezing to death doesn't interest me at all.

no worky worky...diff everything..you need 670X everything including ignition/wiring harness/exhaust...BJ

S

Skidoohmx

Nov 26, 2007
Deary, Idaho
There are a lot of parts to convert over to the x motor. You can not just use your ignition because the cranks are keyed differently. Why not just get your 96 engine back? It will be costly to find all the needed parts to make the x engine work. Besides from what you are saying for your uses of the sled the old style motor will have plenty of power.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
You can use the stock 670 ignition on the X motor. I've done it. Strip ALL the X ignition components off, and replace with the std 670 ignition parts. This includes the flywheel and stator. Make SURE that your timing is set correctly. This swap is not that big of a deal...

B
Apr 6, 2010
btw

btw - I did put on the old electronics and put about 90 miles on it before the gasket let go......

also, I don't seem to be able to time the motor using the manual's instructions....there is no way that the lines will match up...newer crank and old crank are exactly the same so I am not sure what year/type the parts are in this thing.

Premium Features