• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1992 indy lite ?'s

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
ok I have been looking for years for a cherry one and I found a one owner 1300 mile 340 121 track I beleive....so I bought it and its sitting in my garage.

Have always wanted one just to bomb around on and for the older kids in our group. Now its time to do a few mods LOL

first....is it a 2.52 pitch track? the drivers look tiny tiny but there looks to be some room in there for a 1.25 or a 1.5 paddle?? Maybe a 136 and some rail ext just for floatation. What will fit??

Also still has the bone stock steel skies....what will bolt on here with no mods? Like a newer style all plastic ski off a newer model?

has great compression but I will have to go thru the carbs....anyone know what size they are??

No chaincase either I see....direct drive which is intresting

what else do I need to know??

thanks guys this is my first polaris with me owning well over 20 sleds in my life:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
T
Dec 25, 2007
This would be a 1991 if there is direct drive. And because of that things get really interesting when trying to find anything for it. They were around only one year before they were dumped. I rode one forever....put well over 6k miles on it as a kid before selling it to move up in the selling world.

First, the track is a 116 inch, not a 121. Really strange, and even harder to replace/extend. You might have luck looking for a skid out of the Indy GT models (133.5 two up model that was around by at least 94). It has been so long since I had mine that I don't remember the size of the drivers...but if my memory serves me right they are also unique to this sled. I am 95% sure that it is a 2.52 pitch though. Not much else was out at that time and that is what almost all the other poos were using.

With these old sleds it is often easy to convince your dealer to copy the carb/clutching specs for you.

With regard to the skis...I am not sure what is best. The C&A Pro sport skis that were out for a while were close to a fit...just had to change the mount rubber a little bit and add washers to remove the side to side slop (tiny spindles compared to any modern ski). That ski also didn't overpower the track and cause the rear end to come flying around. It is really easy on this thing to get way too much ski.

Get some running board traction, make sure you have a thumb warmer, find some better shocks if you plan to leave the ground past 1 inch, and you will have the coolest kid sled ever.

On a side note...take really good care of the all the drive shafts. I had a friend the same sled break his off about 8 yrs ago and we had to machine a different shaft to fit because if that unique drive system.

Have fun....she will be a real blast to own!:face-icon-small-coo

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
rode it today and it runs well....need plastic skis bad.

what will just bolt on anyone?? Havent rode a fan in a while and forgot about all the hot air coming out the back lol

Direct drive is a little hard when doubling and pulling kids around but it works:face-icon-small-win

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
T
Dec 25, 2007
Here is a couple links with some of the info you were looking for:

http://www.polarisman.com/

http://www.polarisman.com/site/DisplayModel.cfm?ModelID=91SNOINDYLITE&Year=1991

My memory has not failed me yet...it is a 116. Weird but true....

Also, I think you are going to have a hard time finding direct bolt on skis simply due to age, etc. This may be another time to call up the Polaris parts counter and see what they have with regard to measurements. Or, as you mentioned you have several other makes of sleds, hop over to one of those and see if any of them are close with regard to ski saddle size. It would at least give you a place to start.

And yes, the hot air coming out of that thing kept my toes toasty on many a cold night run! Kinda missed that when moving to a liquid sled.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have a '94 Indy Lite Deluxe. I had a skid plate off a '99 RMK that I cut the front edge off to fit (never know when it will be needed), Rail grips from Fabcraft out of Montana, and plastic skis off a '99 RMK as well. This was the single carbide ski with no inside lip (sidehiller style). I had to notch the side of the webbing on the inside of the ski behind the spindle to clear the shock. I suppose it weakens the ski, but don't figure it will ever hurt it. I think a flat top ski like a Simmons, Sno-stuff or Ski-Doo Pilot ski would work since there isn't any extra webbing on top of the ski.

Bought a new aftermarket replacement belt at the Puyallup show last year for $10. I also had to get a gasket set and replace the gaskets in the top end to get the compression back up. Kid loves it.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Stuff a 660 under the hood and a 155 in the rear and go after 383#800!!

I have had many thoughts about building a little lightweight tree picker out of an INDYLITE!

Thought at this point in my life I lack the resources ($$) for such a toy.

Premium Features