• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

smaller drivers for a bigger track

vendetta

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Langley B.C
does this equal changing my gearing. I was going to drop and roll but the snow is flying and i have not got the time to do it. I have 9 tooth drivers on my 2000 summit highmark and i am wanting to put a 2.25 inch track on. it will not fit with the nine tooth so if i drop down to 8 or 7 will that give me enough clearance?? and do i have to change gearing

thanks Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
What's your gearing now?
You should be running a 19/45 at least for that sled.
IF you are, that should be fine to go to an 8 tooth.
going to 8 is roughly .89 of the 9 tooth in ratios.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Dropping to the 8 T driver and installing a larger paddle will kill that sled.. I did that on my ZX and the smaller drivers and bigger paddle robbed me of TONS of performance..

I would not suggest doing this UNLESS you do the drop and roll.. With the drop and roll you will not be robbed of the power, but without it.. you will not be happy,,,at least I wasn't and I know of a few others who suffered the same problems after doing it..

R

rhino

Nov 26, 2007
Greenwater WA
Dropping to the 8 T driver and installing a larger paddle will kill that sled.. I did that on my ZX and the smaller drivers and bigger paddle robbed me of TONS of performance..

I would not suggest doing this UNLESS you do the drop and roll.. With the drop and roll you will not be robbed of the power, but without it.. you will not be happy,,,at least I wasn't and I know of a few others who suffered the same problems after doing it..

So it is the smaller drivers that kills the performance not the larger paddle? And what do you consider as performance? Track speed? or it wouldn't climb as high etc? And was your ZX box stock when you did the swap. Would a mod motor or skid relocation have helped. Just trying to get a better understanding on how all these things relate to one another. thx

800HMRK

Dec 17, 2007
Alaska
I put 7 tooth external drivers with a 2.5 inch track on my 03 with 19/45 gears and didn't notice any performance loss. I think that it did gear it down a little bit though, but I went to a 156 from a 151 so it needed geared down anyway.

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
A 2.25 track will fit in there without dropping a driver size. I am running a 2.3x16x162 under mine. 800HMRk's sled goes way better with the 2.5 than it did with the 2in.

vendetta

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Langley B.C
really, that is interesting. i might have to bolt it up and see if they clear the front cooler and my tunnel

thanks Rob

Well if you run a 8 tooth, 2.52 pitch driver you should clear with a little bit more room than me, within an 1/8th of an inch. But like what RKT said, I gained quite a bit going to the 2.25, but I think I left a little on the table by not doing the drop and roll.

I am going to look at doing a drop and roll on mine this weekend on mine, and, I think that if you have the sled that far torn apart anyways, you might as well do the drop and roll. You CAN do your own kit, just make sure to keep the belt centers on with stock length, and be careful to clear everything with rolling your secondary down. Also, don't roll to far otherwise it leaves your drivers badly exposed to rocks and stumps below. But, unless you've done much fabwork before, you should probably just invest in the kit.

L
Oct 3, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
This summer, I stuffed a 2.3 track into my 02 summit (w/ 9T extros). I thought it fit well but after spinning the track for a bit, I noticed black scuffs on the tunnel (directly above the drivers). The front cooler wasn't a problem at all.

I replaced the 9T with 8T. Now I have 1/4-3/8 inch of room above the drivers.

vendetta

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Langley B.C
so should i go with the 9 tooth and put it all back together and see if it fits. of should i go for the 8 tooth and gear down???

Rob

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
so with the stock drivers on an 02 800 zx will you have enough room for a 2.25" track with a 3P or will you have to do a D&R and/or put smaller drivers on.

the track on it now is the stock 144"*2" with the smaller 1.75" lugs in the middle????

vendetta

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Langley B.C
its a 151 x 2 and 1.75 in the middel. i think i will put on the 8 tooth and see what happens. i am going to get dynamo joe to build me a clutch kit for it.

Rob

Premium Features