• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Audio ?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
It would seem that a turbo kit would put something(fan unity) in between the motor and the exhaust outlet - does this lower the DB level so we can still meet the Colorado State Park's 88db testing limit?

Looks like some have straight pipes, or very minimal cans?

Thx!

MtnDoo

T
Jul 21, 2008
www.turboboyz.com
We Have never really worried about db to much. But we will get on that as soon as we can. A turbo sled is really not as loud as you might think the turbo does muffle the exhaust quite a bit. The thing about mufflers is, It is hard to find a silencer small enough to fit in the sled after we put in all the turbo stuff. The muffler also still needs to flow enough air. that combo is kindof hard to get. But we will look into this more since there seems to be more restrictions comming our way.

www.turboboyz.net

M
Nov 26, 2007
Crested Butte, CO
Personally, I don't mind a louder sled. But we have these State Parks goons with db meters - which our own state snowmobile association supported the new 88db limit. Not a big fan of silencers - especially if they add weight, but thx for the consideration!

MD.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Mine is straight piped out the turbo, definately LOUD, especially in spring snow conditions with it echoing off the hard snow. My Aero had a small muffler, made about the same or less as a can.

T
May 25, 2008
Oroville Washington
I didnt read all the way through the sound reg thread but 88db has to be a mid throttle test. There is no way that a factory sled is under 88db at wot.

This reminds me of the bike tests we have to pass. It is very very very dependent on what you consider mid throttle :D And the sound meters are not acurate at all. Ive seen bikes go through sound check 3 times, failing the first 2, never changing a thing and passing on round 3.

In any case, we should all be a little concerned about noise. It doesnt do anyone any good to make more noise than is necessary and just peeve people and make sledders look even worse. If you are in an area where noise is a concern, the muffler after the turbo should take care of any issues you have.

Jake

Premium Features