• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Manual/tips for changing pistons on 13’ Pro-RMK

X
Feb 16, 2019
Manual/tips for changing pistons on 13’ Pro-RMK

Hi
Is there anyone out there that would be willing to share the workshop manual on changing pistons on a Pro? Or is there any manuals/books I can buy? Other tips would be greatly appriciated! Sled has 4100 miles on stock pistons!0

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
You can buy the electronic version fairly cheap if I recall correctly. If not PM me, I might have an electronic one I would have to look around, maybe for 2012, not sure, don't have a Pro-ride any more (recently moved to an Axys).

You are definitely due for maintenance top end... well, depending on type of miles I suppose but I would rather err on the side of safety. Had a catastrophic failure on a Skidoo 800 at about 1500 miles and the motor was basically junk, that can get expensive, so throw a set of Axys pistons in there. You will get lots of opinions on whose pistons to use... I tend to go OEM, Indy Dan recommends that too. Make sure you inspect (or have someone inspect) the cylinder skirts too, less common in the newer Pros but they can crack and even fail.

X
Feb 16, 2019
Actually in Norway (where I’m from), many sleds go this far without opening the engine, some even go 5000 miles with nothing done. Anyways, I did a compression test and it showed 100psi on both cylinders so I’m probably going to do it. Already asked dealer and they wouldn’t lend me the manual. Been looking for it online aswell but with no luck.

A
Feb 11, 2017
Seward, Alaska
Just bought a used sled for pretty cheap knowing it had only 95psi, what's surprising though is the sled only has 2080 miles. Kind of funny you have more than twice as many miles and still have better compression. I don't know how my sled has this bad of compression. Doing a rebuild of course.

Last edited:

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
When a sled goes 5000 miles on pistons, they are commonly know as "trail miles"...LOL Not an anomoly, happens all the time.

X
Feb 16, 2019
Actually no, mine has 4100 off trail miles. A lot of 5000 mile sleds are pro’s used for what they should be used for. Dealers just up the oil pump and they are good to go.

Last edited:

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
We have been running the Pro pistons in the AXYS with great success. The AXYS pistons were having ring locating pin migration.
Yikes... so in that case the OP should be sticking with Pro pistons... Should I be worried about the '17 Axys I picked up this spring? Warranty is good until Feb 2020 but after that I am on my own... don't ride as hard as I used to but still they are mountain miles not trail miles... you have a piston "maintenance" interval recommendation for the Axys?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Yikes... so in that case the OP should be sticking with Pro pistons... Should I be worried about the '17 Axys I picked up this spring? Warranty is good until Feb 2020 but after that I am on my own... don't ride as hard as I used to but still they are mountain miles not trail miles... you have a piston "maintenance" interval recommendation for the Axys?

Hammer on it until the warranty runs out. Then think about replacing pistons.

Premium Features