• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stolen mountain bike at Whistler

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
Well I got my $3,500 dollar mountain bike stolen at the Sundial Boutique Hotel in Whistler out of their guarded lock up room and they are not doing a thing about it.

I put my bike in the hotel lock up room that has a card swipe entry that can only be accessed by employees at the front desk. They also give you a card with a number on it that you write your name and room number on and half of it goes on the bike and you take the other half as a claim check.

My buddy went down to get his bike on Monday morning at 10:15 am and brought his back up to the room. Mine was still in there at that time. We got ready and went down to the lobby at 11:30 am and my bike was gone. None of the three people at the front desk knew anything.....???

They can't seem to get the (2) cameras in the front lobby to work for the prior three days????? I bet their insurance company would love to hear about that!!

Owner was out of town and the shift manager promised us a comp on our room and a rental bike for the remainder of our trip. I finally got to talk to the owner on Thursday and he said this has never happened before but that he would not be helping with the replacement of my bike other than a call to a couple of his contacts to get a "good deal" for me....he told me he needed some time to figure out what happened....

We went to check out on Friday and they wanted to charge us for the whole room. No comps. We put a hold on the authoriztion to charge on the CC and told them to have the owner call me. They charged the card anyway.

He called me on Saturday and let me know that he would not be comping the room or replacing my bike. They had already charged the Credit card at this point.

My understanding is that since they check the bike in and it is under there lock not mine that they are responsible for it.???

If anything don't stay at the Sundial Hotel in Whistler.....Seems like an inside job to me. Out of three people at the front desk they don't remember one out of 10 bikes????????????????

Anyone have any ideas??

Last edited:

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
tell them that your lawyer will be calling them, and have you called the police?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
Yep I filed a report with the RCMP immediatly on Monday. I have been in contact with my lawyer and he feels they are responsible. He called them a Bailie??? Not sure what that means. He is checking on Canadian law for that situation. The Hotel owner's wife is a lawyer so this might get interesting.....

I just bought a domain name...... lets make this fun can any of you guess what it is?????

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
i would think that if it went to court the judge would see they are at fault and you would get your money

also i wouldn't recommend bashing them on the net with a domain because that could hurt your chances of getting money for a bike

W
Feb 19, 2008
There used to be a huge problem with this at whistler. Lots of bike theft rings in the hotels doing exactly what you've described. Inside jobs where the staff steals bikes. Check out ridemonkey.com I'm sure if you search around a bit you'll find lots of stories on this. That sucks though! If that happened to me I'd be furious and definately be talking at the hotel manager till it was made right.

This is why we always bring the bikes to the room and lock them ourselves. Whether they tell us we can or not. Just don't be a dick and run the bike into the walls or take a nasty muddy bike up the stairs. They say they charge your card some stupid cleaning fee of $500 if you do bring your bike in. I've heard of many people putting stop payments on that and filing CC fraud with the hotel. See how they like that!

I dunno how much it'll help but post up on ridemonkey, nsmb, and pinkbike a description of it, as detailed as you can. You never know, someone might have seen it.

I hope you get your bike back or another one that's just as fast!

P
Sorry to hear about your bike getting jacked Jason. Hope everything works out for you. Something is too fishy to have the desk personel not see anything............what did they leave the door open???? BA$TARDS!!!!!!

P.P.

F
Nov 28, 2007
I hope you held onto your half of the claim check that they provided you to pick up your bike. That is basically a storage agreement and unless it states on the back that they are no reponsible for theft they need to come up with your bike.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
I seen a bike stealing sting that CBC set up in Montreal??? the other day. The CBC guy approached the guy stealing the bike and he broke down and said he was selling it for crack... lol

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
what brand of bike you ride/ or build?

I finally went with a yeti after much debating.

and have been loving it for a couple years now.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I hope you held onto your half of the claim check that they provided you to pick up your bike. That is basically a storage agreement and unless it states on the back that they are no reponsible for theft they need to come up with your bike.

Absolutely!

If they have signs all over that state that they are not liable or are simply storing your bike and they do not imply that they are responsible, THEN THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE!

Alot of the claim tickets have legal mumbo-jumbo on them. Read your half of the claim check!

They will not win if you sue them (If tha above conditions are true).

I am not a lawyer, but I play one on TV.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Rental....shag
$3,500 for a down hill bike these days is cheap!! They are pretty much a dirt bike with out the motor.

Check out Norco team downhill bikes on Norco's website and get ready to be amazed at the pricing!! Mine was a couple years old.

The front desk people took my claim check when I went to get my bike and in all of the confusion I did not get it back. I did ask for it several times over the course of the week and did not get it back.

It is more the principal of the fact the owner is not going to do a thing. I will be pursuing it legally just for the fact that he is not willing to help with replacing the bike. His last offer was to help me with his contacts to get a good deal but is diverting any responsibility finacially for the bike.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
$3,500 for a down hill bike these days is cheap!! They are pretty much a dirt bike with out the motor.

Check out Norco team downhill bikes on Norco's website and get ready to be amazed at the pricing!! Mine was a couple years old.

The front desk people took my claim check when I went to get my bike and in all of the confusion I did not get it back. I did ask for it several times over the course of the week and did not get it back.

It is more the principal of the fact the owner is not going to do a thing. I will be pursuing it legally just for the fact that he is not willing to help with replacing the bike. His last offer was to help me with his contacts to get a good deal but is diverting any responsibility finacially for the bike.

Hmmm...the owner is reluctant to help or interrogate his employees AND has connections in DH bike sales :rolleyes: The scheme seems pretty apparent from what I read here. Maybe take out an add in their local paper with a summary of what happened??? Maybe if he gets enough crap or loses enough business he will "find" your bike or pay up without going to court??

G
Dec 17, 2002
North Bend, Washington
Whistler is a great summer spot for down hill bikes but!!!!!! The RCMP is a joke, the bike stealing ring is alive and well up there. If you rent a bike they warn you about the problem and You can rent a really good bike up there so why take a chance with your own unless you can keep it with you in the room. try the Fairmont for a little better security.....
http://www.fairmont.com/whistler

full down hill bike prices are more then a new sled!!!!!

Premium Features