• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP Drivetrain update

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
FYI....
The M1000 didn't have a wobbly clutch.
Belt life was better than Doos absolutely necessary wobble clutch for engines with more than 800cc's....

Cat has lots of 850++cc after market engines with a normal clutch that have better belt life than doo -doos 850.

Everyone should really think about that.

How many turbo doo 800's out their with good belt life????

All these big engines, high horse power sleds with "normal" clutches better belt life............

Hmmmm?

Oh that's right. This is all fake, doo 850's don't have a belt problem!

Even Doo jumped in on the joke and made fake fixes in 2018 and more in 2019.....????

D
May 24, 2012
M1000s had their share of belt eaters, and so did any turbo sled and still do.

Silber had good luck with the pDrive on their turbo 850.

Big John has no trouble with the pDrive on his turbo 850.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
FYI....
The M1000 didn't have a wobbly clutch.
Belt life was better than Doos absolutely necessary wobble clutch for engines with more than 800cc's....

Cat has lots of 850++cc after market engines with a normal clutch that have better belt life than doo -doos 850.

Everyone should really think about that.

How many turbo doo 800's out their with good belt life????

All these big engines, high horse power sleds with "normal" clutches better belt life............

Hmmmm?

Oh that's right. This is all fake, doo 850's don't have a belt problem!

Even Doo jumped in on the joke and made fake fixes in 2018 and more in 2019.....????

It isn't as simple as saying "lots of 850+ engines" have had lesser issues. You quite literally have to consider the bore vs. the stroke values. I believe, correct me if I am wrong, the added stroke value of the Doo 850 is what induces the added vibration. Sure the M1000 is bigger than an 850, but is it the stroke or the bore or both that contribute to its larger size?

This is the problem with internet talk and social media. You are looking at one number. That one number is made up of two numbers stroke x bore. You can't just look at the most obvious numbers. Then to make it more complicated there are an infinite number of other variables rather than just saying 850 vs 1000.

You can't dumb it down, you can't ignore details.

What data is that? My research has shown doo has actually contributed few game changing innovations that got sleds to where they are today.

This conversation doesn't need to be had. It has been beaten over on every snowmobile forum out there. But you should really research a little bit more and to help you out refer to year 2003 just for starters. Then tell me that isn't like how sleds are today.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
This conversation doesn't need to be had. It has been beaten over on every snowmobile forum out there. But you should really research a little bit more and to help you out refer to year 2003 just for starters. Then tell me that isn't like how sleds are today.

I agree it's been beaten, yet Doo guys still seem to think anything and everything we have now is thanks to Doo which is far from the truth. As to 2003, I know what your referring to, yet fact of the matter is that the fast blade was the first rider forward sled in the late 90's. It was just ahead of it's time. Maybe you ought to research a bit without the Doo shades on.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It isn't as simple as saying "lots of 850+ engines" have had lesser issues. You quite literally have to consider the bore vs. the stroke values. I believe, correct me if I am wrong, the added stroke value of the Doo 850 is what induces the added vibration. Sure the M1000 is bigger than an 850, but is it the stroke or the bore or both that contribute to its larger size?

This is the problem with internet talk and social media. You are looking at one number. That one number is made up of two numbers stroke x bore. You can't just look at the most obvious numbers. Then to make it more complicated there are an infinite number of other variables rather than just saying 850 vs 1000.

You can't dumb it down, you can't ignore details.

If I'm not mistaken, poo 900(866) has a similar stroke to doo 850.

Factory 900's had belt issues, that was taken care of by the aftermarket.
No wobbly clutches needed though.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I understand the reason and Engineering behind the wobbly clutch, i do not agree that is the correct path.

Don't use the drivetrain to absorb vibration....

Put that same logic to a diesel truck engine....
Who would be willing to replace transmissions once a yr so they could have a vibration free engine?

A 2018 diesel truck engine is very smooth compared to the 1990's. And no, they don't have wobbly torque converters or drivelines.

I know its not an apples to apples comparison but its a good example of how properly engineered antivibration technology is used.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I understand the reason and Engineering behind the wobbly clutch, i do not agree that is the correct path.

Don't use the drivetrain to absorb vibration....

Put that same logic to a diesel truck engine....
Who would be willing to replace transmissions once a yr so they could have a vibration free engine?

A 2018 diesel truck engine is very smooth compared to the 1990's. And no, they don't have wobbly torque converters or drivelines.

I know its not an apples to apples comparison but its a good example of how properly engineered antivibration technology is used.

That's a terrible comparison.

I haven't had to replace anything on my 2017 (like the majority of others out there), let a lone a major mechanical component simply because of the "wobbly" clutch.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Like I said, the majority of owners out there haven't had this issue..

BRP has addressed the issue with new clutch parts and engine mounts. They did not remove the "wobbly" clutch.

Only time will tell if the few who have had issues continue to have these issues, but I think this will be the end of it.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I agree it's been beaten, yet Doo guys still seem to think anything and everything we have now is thanks to Doo which is far from the truth. As to 2003, I know what your referring to, yet fact of the matter is that the fast blade was the first rider forward sled in the late 90's. It was just ahead of it's time. Maybe you ought to research a bit without the Doo shades on.

I think it is funny that 2003 is the reference point. That was 15 years ago and sleds have come a long, long way from the Rev chassis, well except maybe the Ski-Doo's. LOL

Pretty funny when the 2002 Doo ZX was a copy of what Polaris had been building for a decade or more. Only Cat had a-arm front suspension back then and, they all have it now. So much for silly comparisons to the past.

Tell me who is innovating today? Might be Cat ahead of them all in the Mtn segment with the Alpha skid... Doo still has the ancient torsion bars and silly wobble built in, the one that lots of guys delete or lock out, great innovation there huh? Still cant build a mtn model with a stand up steering post. Still shrouds the clutches to keep them quiet. Doo sure seems like they are behind the game if anything.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I think it is funny that 2003 is the reference point. That was 15 years ago and sleds have come a long, long way from the Rev chassis, well except maybe the Ski-Doo's. LOL

Pretty funny when the 2002 Doo ZX was a copy of what Polaris had been building for a decade or more. Only Cat had a-arm front suspension back then and, they all have it now. So much for silly comparisons to the past.

Tell me who is innovating today? Might be Cat ahead of them all in the Mtn segment with the Alpha skid... Doo still has the ancient torsion bars and silly wobble built in, the one that lots of guys delete or lock out, great innovation there huh? Still cant build a mtn model with a stand up steering post. Still shrouds the clutches to keep them quiet. Doo sure seems like they are behind the game if anything.

I'm going to keep this simple. If you think a 2012 Chassis with a single rail rear suspension makes cat "ahead of them all" then so be it.. we get it that Doo doesn't suit your fancy.. but for most people it Doo. :)

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I'm going to keep this simple. If you think a 2012 Chassis with a single rail rear suspension makes cat "ahead of them all" then so be it.. we get it that Doo doesn't suit your fancy.. but for most people it Doo. :)

2012 cat V doo... don't mix and match as the 16 up and 18 up are just as different as the doo.
ride with a lot of each and the T motion is NOT all that and a bag of chips. the 18 Mt CAT is that and a bag of chips....850 doo not so much.. now the alfa has yet to be proven. and the xp---xm chassis is from 08 lol gen 4....

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID

Do you drink a lot or have you had a stroke?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
3ddfe657e2108989c7706f441cc024d3.jpg

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018

But a 2008 chassis with a wobble in the skid and 50 extra cc's is da chit? Give me a break.

Heck my '17 Cat schools Doo's every weekend, the Alpha is clearly a game changer. Better buckle up buttercup!

For most people in this section of this forum but, Polaris had had the best selling mtn sled for years now. That would be the one that seems to do it for the most...

Last edited:
Premium Features