• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX/ SSI Titanium Pipe

TimG

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=252&controller=product

This pipe interests me because of the weight savings. BDX says it's basically an exact copy of a stock pipe with their pipe mod. What I'm wondering about is if there's any disadvantage to using titanium as far as heat retention goes. From what I've looked up so far, it seems that ti conducts heat about half as well as steel, which is a good thing, but then again, steel pipes are either coated or use a clamshell for heat retention. Does anyone have any insight on this? The weight savings become much less if you have to put the clamshell back on it for the sake of pipe heat!

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=252&controller=product

This pipe interests me because of the weight savings. BDX says it's basically an exact copy of a stock pipe with their pipe mod. What I'm wondering about is if there's any disadvantage to using titanium as far as heat retention goes. From what I've looked up so far, it seems that ti conducts heat about half as well as steel, which is a good thing, but then again, steel pipes are either coated or use a clamshell for heat retention. Does anyone have any insight on this? The weight savings become much less if you have to put the clamshell back on it for the sake of pipe heat!

i'm guessing its ceramic coated...if this is the case you don't need heat retention shielding. by lookin at the link i would say this is the case.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Anyone have any reviews on this pipe or how it compares to the slp or bikeman? Holding up well etc?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I don't think any or many are out yet. I am still waiting to hear about the pro Ti pipe I ordered. They told me the axys pipes are being made first but it was going much slower than they anticipated.

I am mostly interested in the weight savings aswell.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I didn't realize they were still in production, I figured some had been on the snow by now. Maybe SSI will chime in and update the status?

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I talked to BDX SSI today. They don't have either the titanium or stainless steel pipe available yet. However, they are doing the stock pipe mod now. Dynotech Research comparison shows that the stock pipe mod makes more horsepower and torque than the other brands tested. The BMP is close on horsepower but behind by over 2 lb. ft. on torque. Both are substantially better than the others in both departments. An added benefit is it looks stock and you can use the stock heat shield which the dyno guys claim adds a little bit more power compared to the bare pipe. They change the internal dimensions of the pipe somewhat and use an old two stroke tuner trick by adding stinger length inside the pipe. I saw some of that in the 60s and 70s on dirt bikes. It keeps the pipe shorter while gaining stinger length. It is pretty cool in my opinion. As far as titanium goes, I don't know if it will even hold a coating. I wouldn't want to do it if it did. I love the look of titanium after it has gone through a few heat cycles. I have a Diamond S titanium muffler in my Axys and it looks very nice.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I talked to BDX SSI today. They don't have either the titanium or stainless steel pipe available yet. However, they are doing the stock pipe mod now. Dynotech Research comparison shows that the stock pipe mod makes more horsepower and torque than the other brands tested. The BMP is close on horsepower but behind by over 2 lb. ft. on torque. Both are substantially better than the others in both departments. An added benefit is it looks stock and you can use the stock heat shield which the dyno guys claim adds a little bit more power compared to the bare pipe. They change the internal dimensions of the pipe somewhat and use an old two stroke tuner trick by adding stinger length inside the pipe. I saw some of that in the 60s and 70s on dirt bikes. It keeps the pipe shorter while gaining stinger length. It is pretty cool in my opinion. As far as titanium goes, I don't know if it will even hold a coating. I wouldn't want to do it if it did. I love the look of titanium after it has gone through a few heat cycles. I have a Diamond S titanium muffler in my Axys and it looks very nice.

Interesting. To bad there's down time and shipping costs associated with the pipe mod. Did they mention a release date on the ti or stainless pipe by chance?

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Having a Ti pipe would be slick as heck, match the can I got from them.
However, think I'll go for the stock pipe mod over the summer. When time comes, have to factor shipping, currency conversion etc. At this stage, the mod is by far the more economical option.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Interesting. To bad there's down time and shipping costs associated with the pipe mod. Did they mention a release date on the ti or stainless pipe by chance?

I did not get any clue from them when the stainless steel or titanium pipe will be available. Regarding the down time if you ship a pipe to them, that is a concern. I got around that by getting a stock pipe from a friend who put an SLP pipe on his Axys. That is an option if it is available.

The person that I spoke to from BDX told me that they just returned from running the pipe/sled combo in Colorado. I get the feeling that you will need more weight with their pipe than you do with the SLP pipe. For me, that probably means that I will have to try both 66 and 68 gram weights to find the sweet spot. I should have the pipe on by next weekend. I hope that it works for me like it does in the dyno tests that I have read and reread.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I talked to them today and they had no eta for the ti pipe, not sure on the stainless pipe. Said not in the next few weeks at least. What elevation do you expect to be running 66-68 at? Thats a bunch for my elevation here in CO.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I talked to them today and they had no eta for the ti pipe, not sure on the stainless pipe. Said not in the next few weeks at least. What elevation do you expect to be running 66-68 at? Thats a bunch for my elevation here in CO.

5,000 to 9,000 feet is pretty standard for us with not much time at the 8,000 to 9,000 range. The SLP piped Axys sleds are running 66 gram weights around here. I am not sure that the BDX SSI mod pipe will need more weight or not. We will find out when we get the pipe back, put on and ride it. I also will play with my helix to find out the best ramp for the setup. I am currently running in the steeper ramp on my Carl's helix with a stock sled other than a Diamond S Titanium Quiet muffler. It runs really well. I am peaking out at 8250 but it usually settles back a little on the upshift to 8100/8150. I am happy with it as is but the BDX SSI pipe mod seemed like too good to pass up. Time will tell.

D
Oct 31, 2013
NH
Just got back from riding in Jackson WY with the SSI pipe mod and diamond S quiet can. I had issues with DET the first two days. Talked with Erich and he said I needed a resistor. Luckily my riding buddy had his SLP resistor and that fixed the issue. Sled ran great and was a beast climbing and definitely pulled harder than everyone in my group including a SLP set up. I forget what I ended up running for weight, I will check when I get the sled back.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Dubaudi, I sent you a private message. I am going to be running an identical setup to what you have. The weight you were running will probably be what I need in my area in Idaho. I asked several other questions too. Your help will get me running quick and properly when my pipe is returned. I am going to find out if SSI sells a preferred resistor. I read that the SLP resistor is a little frail. Thanks.

Premium Features